Author Topic: When Freeware is better than the Paid Stuff...  (Read 9811 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
When Freeware is better than the Paid Stuff...
« on: February 23, 2014, 04:53:47 pm »
Hey, guys this is the topic where you tell us all about that freeware stuff that you on your PC / MAC that's you feel is better.

Here are some of my personal favs:

7zip - I don't know what Winrar is anymore. It's light, simple and has excellent compression. When formatting and installing Windows on a PC this is always my first app.

SumatraPDF - Good basic reader PDF file reader if you are sick and tired of Adobe's constant updates.

Kingo Android Root - Best one-click Android rooting app around, 'nuff said.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
Re: When Freeware is better than the Paid Stuff...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 10:09:58 pm »
GIMP - (photo editing tool in place of photoshop) Fuck Adobe.

Offline Mengels7

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 01:10:31 pm »
Imgburn - Why pay for any CD burning software when the best one is free?

Offline max_cady

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 03:55:27 pm »
CDBurnerXP is also pretty sweet.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 11:38:09 pm »
Some that I use the most:

Comicrack - because the comic fanboy in me doesn't get every single issue weekly and have to read it anyway (I get 65 comics a month, so spare me the priacy nonsense).

Foobar2000 - Super customization music player that plays everything? Yes!

Audacity - I used this to edit over 50 episodes of the Swingin' Report Show.

VLC Player - Throw any video file at this, it keeps playing.

I never really used GIMP, only Photoshop.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 09:16:11 am »
I'm going to have to side with Photoshop. Then again, I'm a graphic designer and I do a lot more than just editing photos. I also use InDesign and Illustrator.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 02:52:03 pm »
some of my favorites are GIMP, InkScape, and Sublime Text, Although Sublime text isn't technically free, but it's open source, and is great software.

I know lots of people love Blender (3D Software)

GIMP is good if you're doing photo edits, and Inkscape is good if you're creating vector art. I've tried making a web layout on inkscape before and it just doesn't work for me. I suppose I should give it a try with gimp somtime. If you are doing print work though, neither Inkscape or GIMP are good for you. They both have issues with print work. Sadly, Adobe dominates the design world, and this is one of those reasons.

I also love 7zip and fully agree with MaxCady about how great it is.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 02:55:33 pm by Will »

Offline max_cady

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 02:11:48 am »
Unfortunately that is also true for me as well. Before migrating to Photoshop, I've had used Paint.net for my photo and image edditing, but for work I'm doing... free image editting software doesn't even come close to the migthy Photoshop.

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 07:01:40 pm »
Internet  - Internet is basically a giant freeware package of information. Which is now being attacked thru abuse of the law, by everybody who thinks youtube, twitter,and facebook changed the world. It allowed all of these non-savy clusty phucks, to communicate with each other, and penetrate our peaceful universe. Ever heard of the "house of Un-americans, welcome to the internet.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:05:42 pm by RegalSin »

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 07:20:20 pm »

Comicrack - because the comic fanboy in me doesn't get every single issue weekly and have to read it anyway (I get 65 comics a month, so spare me the priacy nonsense).
I also use Comic rack, but holy shit, 65 a month? I might be reading 10 series and I thought that was a lot.

Also are you enjoying Deadly Class? I was really disappointing with the first issue despite the art being really nice.

Also every anti-virus that's free is better than Norton. Hell most viruses are better than Norton.

Offline George

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 07:48:16 pm »
I also use Comic rack, but holy shit, 65 a month? I might be reading 10 series and I thought that was a lot.

Also are you enjoying Deadly Class? I was really disappointing with the first issue despite the art being really nice.

Also every anti-virus that's free is better than Norton. Hell most viruses are better than Norton.

LIke you said, I really like the art, but the first issue seemed slow. The potential is there, but it sorta 'didn't move' much, barely teasing whats to come. I guess I have to give it a few issues before I decide if I should dump it.

I'm feeling like I'm going to dumb Amazing X-Men at the moment. But at the moment thats the only title I feel like dropping.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 01:08:50 am »
Hell go all the way, Ubuntu. A free, user-friendly, Linux distribution to run as your main Os. Drop Windows altogether.

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 11:11:09 am »
Hell go all the way, Ubuntu. A free, user-friendly, Linux distribution to run as your main Os. Drop Windows altogether.

I'd switch to mainly using Linux if I didn't have to rely on adobe products. Hopefully one day I'll have enough money to buy a Mac. I think that is the closest I'll ever get to using adobe products on linux LOL. OS X is based off Unix and has a terminal, so close enough to linux for me.

Offline George

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 12:55:34 pm »

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 02:43:47 pm »
This? : https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

Nah.. that thing is way too over priced for the hardware that comes inside of it.

I think even a Mac mini would be powerful enough to serve my needs, but those are over priced too!

If i ever got an OS X based PC it would be an Apple Macbook Pro. While still overpriced, they at least justify themselves. Most PC laptops are pure junk.