Author Topic: RDJ to play Iron Man in Captain America 3! Marvel to begin Civil War storyline  (Read 10115 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/robert-downey-jr-returning-as-740534

The move, which The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed, is a stunner,
as at this stage Marvel has no plans to make a fourth Iron Man movie
and, by many accounts, Downey was to be done with the character in the second and third installments of the Avengers
franchise.

Joe and Anthony Russo, the brothers who
directed the popular and acclaimed Captain America: The Winter Soldier,
are directing the third Captain America.

Read more Robert Downey Jr., Producer Wife Susan Reveal Their Quirky
Relationship, "Perfectly Symbiotic" Marriage

Marvel and Downey’s agency, CAA, had no comment, but the talks, which are at
a sensitive stage, could see the actor reap a $40 million-plus backend. The
actor made more than $50 million for his work in the first
Avengers, and sources said he was looking for something similar.

But with a payday as large as this on the table, Downey will see what was
initially envisioned as a brief role grow substantially, as some sources say the
next storyline Marvel is seeking to adapt is the "Civil War" event series from
2006 to 2007.

That miniseries pitted Captain America against Iron Man in a storyline
involving civil rights. In the comics, the U.S. government passes a superhero
registration act with the two heroes falling on opposite sides (Captain America
is opposed to it, has a bitter falling out with his friend Tony Stark and comes
to form an underground superhero opposition that pits one half of the Marvel
Universe against the other.)

Read more Robert Downey Jr. Teases a Big Marvel Announcement

Downey’s work as Iron Man has brought in big bucks for Marvel and Disney. The
three Iron Man movies have earned $2.4 billion worldwide, while the
first Avengers earned a record-breaking $1.5 billion worldwide in

Although Downey’s most recent work, The Judge, opened to only $13.1 million this weekend, the actor still
has clout when it comes to the Iron Man character.
Another report indicates that the directors of Captain America The Winter Soldier and Cap 3 will do the Avengers 3 and 4 which may cover Civil War and Thanos....Whoah...things are definatly getting exciting with this and the Justice League movie having Brainiac as the villian..Can't wait...

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
Good luck getting anyone to accept a new Iron Man face. They should just let Downey keep playing the role.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
I'm bored of Iron Man, a reboot would be cool imo.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
Bored..after only appearing in 3 movies and the Avengers? Its not like there's been an overkill of IM..

Offline pirovash88

I'm bored of Iron Man, a reboot would be cool imo.

I sort of see em as another Wolverine type, i wouldn't want anyone else to play Wolverine aside from Hugh Jackman, they play the role spot on.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Good luck getting anyone to accept a new Iron Man face. They should just let Downey keep playing the role.

I would be more than happy to see someone else take up the role tbh. It's like James Bond in my mind. RDJ did a great job, but I don't think he's the be-all end-all of the role.
Iron Man existed before RDJ and I feel it could survive afterwards.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Iron Man 1 was fun, Iron Man 2 was forgettable and bogged down by universe building, Iron Man 3 was a disappointment and some of the plot elements were an insult to the audience. I'd say Iron Man has only been in two good movies: Iron Man and The Avengers.

In fact, I wasn't all that big a fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe until Phase 2 with the release of The Winter Soldier.

Going through the franchise:
Iron Man - great superhero movie, probably one of my favorite origin story films next to Raimi's Spider-Man and Donner's Superman

The Incredible Hulk - Much better than the previous Hulk movie and I liked Edward Norton, unfortunately the plot itself wasn't that great and the movie made little impact on later MCU movies. None of the characters aside from Bruce Banner appear in later films, and even then they recast him

Iron Man 2 - Boring and forgettable. I thought it was bogged down by universe building, I wanted Ten Rings and the Mandarin - they gave us a teaser for upcoming MCU movies.

Thor - Good standalone movie, not bogged down by universe building. While not my favorite MCU movie, I did like how it was contained and had lots of interesting characters and locations.

Captain America - One of the best phase one movies, like Thor it was a great standalone film and I thought they did a good job with the origin and sending him to the present day. My only gripe is that we won't get anymore period movies from the franchise unless they employ time travel.

The Avengers - Solid popcorn flick that did a good job mapping out a plot that included all the characters. The story itself is pretty simple, which I think works for a movie that is more about bringing all these characters together than trying to weave some complex narrative.

Iron Man 3 - I hated this movie. So little Iron Man, so many lame plot elements, weak villains, weak ending. Just... ugh, why did I see this in theaters...

Thor 2 - I recall enjoying it at the time, but as the months pass, it was pretty forgettable. Not as good as the first movie, but still enjoyable enough. I'm not the biggest Thor fan and don't expect much from the character, so I guess you could say I'm easy to please when it comes to his movies.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - One of the best Marvel movies and best of phase 2. For once they didn't follow a template! I loved the Jason Bourne style espionage, and the evil computer Nazi. Unlike other MCU movies, this and the previous Captain America work well on their own. Just regret not seeing it in theaters.

Guardians of the Galaxy - Definitely the weirdest MCU movie to date. If you're sensing a pattern here, yes I like movies that work well on their own and GotG does that very well. Outside of the Collector and the other infinity stones in past movies, this movie is good in or outside the MCU. My only complaint is that it IS may too similar to The Avengers in story structure and I didn't care about the planet they were protecting in the end. Also, are all the humanoid characters humans? That confused me.

So overall, the Captain America movies are my favorites, Iron Man, GotG, and The Avengers are fun, Thor is flawed but enjoyable, the Iron Man sequels are crap, and Hulk deserves better.

---

My favorite current series of comic book movies is actually the X-Men films. Sure the franchise has had a few pieces of crap (X3 and X-Men Origins: Wolverine) but I think the first X-Men is a solid early ensemble superhero movie, and X2, First Class, The Wolverine, and DoFP are excellent.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
Iron Man - I liked it, don't get the love for it being the best cawmic book movie evar though. I thought it was entertaining. And it had Jeff Bridges, so that was a big plus.

The Incredible Hulk - I keep forgetting this movie exists. Watched it again after Avengers came out, it's okay. I want to see more of Thunderbolt Ross. What the fuck happened to The Leader as well?

Iron Man 2 - I don't get the hate for this movie, I really enjoyed it last time I watched it. Justin Hammer was baller, I want him to come back.

Thor - Mmmm Kat Dennings... but yeah pretty good, Thor is my favourite Avenger probably, and I liked that this one was a little different with the magic and fantasy angle.

Captain America - Super dissapointed. I wanted more a war film with Captain America instead of lazers and nonsense. It was still okay though.

The Avengers - Hulk could not pick up Thor's Hammer, so I was happy.

Iron Man 3 - The ONLY thing I wanted from this movie was the Mandarin to Karate Chop Iron Man Suits, which I got. 10/10

Thor: The Dark World - "Hurr Durr, it's not magic, it's STAR WARS". Fuck this movie in it's arse. But it was still okay, so eh, not too bad. Idris Elba is baller.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Ehhhhh/10

Guardians of the Galaxy - I'M AN ALIGATOR!
I'M A MOMMA/POPPA COMIN' FOR YOU!
I'M A SPACE INVADER!
I'LL BE A ROCK 'N' ROLLIN' BITCH FOR YOU!
This movie's soundtrack alone made it the best fucking Marvel movie in existence.

Offline DreamsDied13101

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Dreams Died on 1/31/01
It would be nice to see them actually flip the story from the comic. I never understood why Captain America was fighting for non-registration and Iron Man for registration. It went against the very fabric of their characters.

Captain America who was so patriotic that he handed over his body as a guinea pig to the government and Iron Man who was always fighting against the government and authorities.

It would be their perfect way to kill off the Robert Downey Jr Iron Man and reboot too when the storyline wraps.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 09:35:14 pm by DreamsDied13101 »

Offline pirovash88

I didn't really care for the Civil War Comics, but i guess i wouldn't mind seeing a Movie Adaptation of it.. Would they really kill of Cap in the Movie? I really doubt it.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
I didn't really care for the Civil War Comics, but i guess i wouldn't mind seeing a Movie Adaptation of it.. Would they really kill of Cap in the Movie? I really doubt it.
They'll kill him and bring him back to life probably.

I feel like Civil War is a bad place to go with Cinema universe, I just don't see it working. Didn't everyone hate the comics too? I just remember everyone shitting on it when it was happening.

It might work, but without Fantastic Four and Xmen being in it... it's going to be a bit more empty. At least Punisher might still make an appearance and kill some D-Class villians then get punched by Captain America and be all like 'I LOVE YOU CAPTAIN AMERICA'.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Pretty sure if Agent Coulsen can come back to life in a spinoff TV series, than Captain America can be revived in any such manner.

Also pretty confident Marvel want Iron Man 4 to be a thing to thanks to what happens in short film "All Hail the King." Spoilers;

It stars Trevor and shows his prison life whilst being interviewed by a news network about himself and his role as the Mandarin. Near to the end the interviewer reveals that the the Ten Rings group is a real life organisation and that Trevor has insulted their faith by donning on the name of the Mandarin. Prison sirens go off as an explosion is heard, Trevor begs for his life before the interviewer says that he isn't going to kill him, the man who's name he stole is.

Consider me hyped!

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
^I hate that, I thought the whole point of the fucking movie was that Guy Pearce was the Mandarin :/
I mean, he had the tattoos, was a rich cunt AND more important than anything, he Karate-Chopped Iron Man's suits.

HE IS THE MANDARIN DAMMIT.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
^I hate that, I thought the whole point of the fucking movie was that Guy Pearce was the Mandarin :/
I mean, he had the tattoos, was a rich cunt AND more important than anything, he Karate-Chopped Iron Man's suits.

HE IS THE MANDARIN DAMMIT.

But he didn't have ten rings, an awesome beard, pale green skin and hated technology.

Cool baddie still, doesn't devalue anything he did though.

Offline DreamsDied13101

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Dreams Died on 1/31/01
Unfortunately, Aldrich Killian was not the Mandarin.

He is actually a character from the comics also. Although his comic counterpart was nothing like the character the film. He is just a scientist that steals Extremis and then commits suicide later on. From what I remember he helped create Extremis in the movie.