Author Topic: I have barely played anything this year... But I still read about games alot...  (Read 5850 times)

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
So it dawned on me that I've not really sat down and played much of anything this year... Except a few older games I return too sometimes. My laptop is shit, I don't have any of the new consoles and never buy any on release since the Dreamcast and my 360 red ringed months ago... Apart from going to my mates house to play Alien Isolation recently I've barely played anything all year. But I still read about new games almost everyday and certainly a few times a week.

Anyone else read and talk about games more often than they play them these days?
Made by SEGA

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
Funny, this has been the case for me as well. I think the most I've played of a game released in 2014 was the two times I rented Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS.

Offline Nathan Dunsmore

• Total Meseta: 2
It comes and goes. Right now I've mainly been playing exhibition matches in Tecmo Super Bowl and party games with friends. Other than that I haven't committed to anything in-depth recently. The last games I finished were Lethal Enforcers 2 and Buster's Hidden Treasure (Genesis) during the summer.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
I'm definitely on the same boat, but I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I don't get a lot of alone time anymore. Having a kid will pretty much do that to you. I have am XOne and all, but I find myself using it more for TV Shows and movies these days.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Sharky

Give it a couple of years Pirovash, your kid will be getting you playing again! As for me I think I'm just dead inside these days! Yay! =D
Made by SEGA

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
It happens... I actually talk very little about games with some of my buddies who are also gamers. I think the only conversations we've had were something along the lines: "Which of those new consoles are you gonna get?" and "Will Destiny be any good?".

But really, it can be a lot of things: maybe outgrowing video games or having other issues / obligations that are pushing you away from them, maybe there aren't any games that appeal to you right now. It also doesn't help that since roughly 2013, game releases haven't been as consistent as they used to be.

For the laptop, I think the only thing I can recommend is looking up indie games on Steam. Since were are close to Halloween, try Five Nights at Freddy's. Remarkably simple game that's actually pretty scary, it doesn't require much and it's dirt cheap.

One other solution is track down Xbox 360 games that you might have overlooked. Some of those 2010/2011/2012 games are probably dirt cheap at this point (used section at Amazon).

Borderlands, Max Payne 3, Injustice:GAU, Sniper: Ghost Warrior. All good examples.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Having a full steam library with family share activated between me and my brothers, I have too many games and yet i dont feel like playing any of them either. Between all the platforms I have, xbox360, ps3, wii u, 3ds and pc im using the wii u the most for some reason. I think its maybe that I play games to relax and when a game is too story centric and requires me to be mentally active and concentrate to follow, I feel like im tiring myself mentally. So I like to have mindless fun instead, with a good sense of progression through imagery or simple stories, at least most of the time.

Didn't used to be like this, but I think its because im mostly exhausted from work perhaps.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
I still play pretty regular, generally I meet up with friends to play Virtua Fighter once a week (before that it was KoF).

At home I bought a Wii-U primarily for Bayonetta but also for a handful of games I wanted to play, and I knew that Mario Kart 8 would get some multiplayer time as well. Apart from that I actually got back into gaming a little bit more since I actively tried to ignore new releases and buying games in general, and instead work on my back-log of Steam/GOG games. Found some wonderful classics that I really loved.

Offline Sharky

A part of my problem is that most of my friends have grown out of games, I love a good multiplayer and I really dig Arcade games but my friends when they do play want to play the latest story driven FPS or hack'n'slash which rarely hold my attention.
Made by SEGA

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
I don't really think you can 'out grow' games. I mean, I can understand not having much time for them, but it's not like a truly enjoyable game has an age limit.

I personally just replace TV time with gaming time, seeing as TV is 99.99% horse shit anyway. It's just a hobby/past-time like any other. When someone is watching an episode of American Idol on a weeknight I'd rather be playing Company of Heroes 2 for example.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
That sounds more like their tastes have changed than growing out of games.

I've been finding myself busy with work and personal life to play many games, but when I do get into them, I'll drop a lot of hours into them.