Author Topic: Ridiculous portrayal of gamers on Law & Order: SVU  (Read 19761 times)

Offline Autosaver

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: Ridiculous portrayal of gamers on Law & Order: SVU
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 05:12:47 pm »
Law and Order does not suck.
And who cares? Video Gamers being 40 year old fat hairy beasts has always been funny.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 05:38:40 pm »
We find it funny because we're gamers; we understand that that is a ridiculous exaggeration of negative stereotypes that are not actually typical or even true.

You have to understand that the majority of people who watch these shows are not gamers. For most of them, their perception of what gamers are like comes from the media that they consume. When they see how gamers are portrayed in a show like this, they don't question it.

In summary: It's a sensationalized reinforcement of negative stereotypes written for trash entertainment by and for people who do not understand gaming or its culture. :P

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 08:02:37 pm »
Cut the L&O bashing. The topic doesn't go anywhere with you calling the show trash since it will only lead it into a stupid back and forth topic, which is in itself trash.

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 10:01:42 pm »
Hey, I was just describing the show for what it actually is. You shouldn't let yourself get bent out of shape over it. There are lots of people who take pride in enjoying trashy entertainment. :P

I mean, this episode was apparently about a little girl who got raped. Do you know how many episodes of this show are about crimes involving underaged girls? I don't know myself, but I bet it's a significant percentage of them. That's the sensational tabloid-caliber crap that brings in ratings, after all. It sells well to the kind of paranoid people who believe that there's a pedophile murder rapist lurking around every corner of every street in America. If Fox News said it, then it must be true!

[youtube:2scuok66]NxPJW4G6W3U[/youtube:2scuok66]

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 12:34:22 am »
I actually like the show, even the cheesy parts.

YO , Ice T has a gay son in this, you should be happy Fluffy. Though he isn't a stereotypical gay man like you >: (

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 06:00:11 am »
The show is called special victims unit. It deals with rape cases. Young girls account for the majority of rape cases. Considering where this thread is headed, I'm going to say stick to discussing the portrayal of video game players in the media. And for the sake of this not being a one note thread, try finding a show besides law & order svu as an example. I'll throw you a bone: x-files did one, so did south park and the simpsons.

Offline kozmo

• The key to victory on this cool course is patience
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 08:48:14 am »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
I'll throw you a bone: x-files did one, so did south park and the simpsons.

King of the Hill, while we're at it

[youtube:j7kc0ktt]vha4Q58dxtU[/youtube:j7kc0ktt]

"this bobtail handles nicely"

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 01:07:49 pm »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
Young girls account for the majority of rape cases.
Incorrect. The majority of rape cases involve people who are over the age of 18, and the smallest percentage (around 15%) involve adolescent to pre-adolescent aged children. Pedophiliac rape is much less common than you may think.

So, do you believe every perception that your mass media feeds you? :P

Considering where this thread is headed, I'm going to say stick to discussing the portrayal of video game players in the media.
"How dare you express an opinion that differs from my own! You better stop thinking for yourself before I put this thread on lockdown!"

:lol:

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 01:21:14 pm »
Locking the topic.

I told you to stick to discussing the portrayal of video game players in the media, you didn't listen. If you really want to create a thread dedicated to rape statistics, be my guest. Though I'm not sure how Sharky and George will feel about that sort of topic.

A more apt thread would be one in the general games forum discussing the portrayal of video game players in the media. If you'd like to create a thread discussing that, feel free to.