Author Topic: Sonic The Hedgehog - A Little Ball of Energy in an Extremely Handsome Package  (Read 431057 times)

Offline Mystic Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: Sonic The Hedgehog - A Little Ball of Energy in an Extremely Handsome Package
« Reply #180 on: February 16, 2021, 06:16:25 pm »
Wait... so Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was given away for free to increase sale numbers even though they were not actually selling it? Doesn't that defeat the point?

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
Re: Sonic The Hedgehog - A Little Ball of Energy in an Extremely Handsome Package
« Reply #181 on: February 16, 2021, 06:27:09 pm »
Wait... so Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was given away for free to increase sale numbers even though they were not actually selling it? Doesn't that defeat the point?

Yeah, and they also counted Sonic Dash and Sonic Forces mobile game download numbers as sale numbers.
It's like SEGA wanted Sonic to be at the top of SEGA's franchise.
It's still behind Total War and Football Manager before, but now it's at the top.

The Big Three is still the same, but the order has changed.
May be because Sonic is SEGA's original creation (while Total War and Football Manager were from acquisition)
so they wanted it to be the top.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #182 on: February 16, 2021, 06:38:22 pm »
Eeeh Sonic Dash and Speed Battle rely on micro-transactions though. That really isn't a possitive image to base sale numbers on though.

Like, remember the reason Super Sonic wasn't included in Sonic Forces was because Sega planned a paid DLC for it? The backlashed force their hand to make it free.

If Avatar becomes a reoccuring character, who's to say there won't be cosmetics and wispons that require special currency (Like Star Gems or ArksCash) that requires Mummy's credit card to get.

Offline Berto

« Reply #183 on: February 16, 2021, 06:47:43 pm »
Eeeh Sonic Dash and Speed Battle rely on micro-transactions though. That really isn't a possitive image to base sale numbers on though.

Like, remember the reason Super Sonic wasn't included in Sonic Forces was because Sega planned a paid DLC for it? The backlashed force their hand to make it free.

Yeah, not a positive image for fans, but investors looked on number.

SEGA : We need you to be sponsor of Sonic 30th Anniversary. Sonic is our best franchise.
Investors : Sonic? But according to your latest annual report, Total War has the best unit sales number.
SEGA : ....

This conversation won't be happened now since Sonic is at the top.

If Avatar becomes a reoccuring character, who's to say there won't be cosmetics and wispons that require special currency (Like Star Gems or ArksCash) that requires Mummy's credit card to get.

Now.. now... Don't give them that idea.  ;-D

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #184 on: February 16, 2021, 07:16:05 pm »

Yeah, not a positive image for fans, but investors looked on number.

SEGA : We need you to be sponsor of Sonic 30th Anniversary. Sonic is our best franchise.
Investors : Sonic? But according to your latest annual report, Total War has the best unit sales number.
SEGA : ....

This conversation won't be happened now since Sonic is at the top.
Yeah but either the investors will ask how Sega get the numbers up and might even support the method for profit, or Sega would think it's okay to get investors this way which may lead to more paid content in their Sonic games.

It's like telling your child to eat all their vegetables only for them to feed it to the dog while you're not looking. If they get away with it the first few times then they may see it as an efficient way to keep at it.

If Sega wants Sonic to have higher sale numbers and attract good investments... they could just make better Sonic games.

Offline Berto

« Reply #185 on: February 16, 2021, 08:48:09 pm »
If Sega wants Sonic to have higher sale numbers and attract good investments... they could just make better Sonic games.

It would take many years, the 30th anniversary is happening now, this is fastest move.
Gotta go fast.

Yeah but either the investors will ask how Sega get the numbers up and might even support the method for profit, or Sega would think it's okay to get investors this way which may lead to more paid content in their Sonic games.

Even fans don't ask where this sales number jump come from.
Sales with the price of zero is still considered purchasing on Steam so it's not like they're lying.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #186 on: February 17, 2021, 06:28:16 am »
It would take many years, the 30th anniversary is happening now, this is fastest move.
Gotta go fast.
We're bound to get a major release for the 30th anniversary. I just hope it won't be as "Meh" as Sonic Forces and be more well put together than it. But if it's gonna be a banger they may need outside help for it. After all Sonic Mania wouldn't of been successful without Headcannon.

Even fans don't ask where this sales number jump come from.
Sales with the price of zero is still considered purchasing on Steam so it's not like they're lying.
My concern is that this may lead to a force of habbit that will cripple the effort of quality put into Sonic games. If Sega makes another mediocre or poor Sonic game that doesn't make the sales and Sega will have to resort in boosting counts with micro transactions from mobile games and freebies that everyone already have just to get investors, who's to say they won't do it again next time they need investors or keep at it?

With the arcade market not doing so good due to the pandemic, SegaSammy are turning their attention to the mobile gaming market and that will mean less interest in the console/PC gaming market. If Sega needs investors to make sure Sonic stays relevent but it's Sonic Dash and Speed Battle that's keeping him afloat over the actual games they're suppose to market like Sonic Forces and Team Sonic Racing then SegaSammy may shift Sega's interest to the mobile market leaving Console and PC gamers dry.

Offline Berto

« Reply #187 on: February 17, 2021, 06:48:35 pm »
We're bound to get a major release for the 30th anniversary. I just hope it won't be as "Meh" as Sonic Forces and be more well put together than it. But if it's gonna be a banger they may need outside help for it. After all Sonic Mania wouldn't of been successful without Headcannon.

My concern is that this may lead to a force of habbit that will cripple the effort of quality put into Sonic games. If Sega makes another mediocre or poor Sonic game that doesn't make the sales and Sega will have to resort in boosting counts with micro transactions from mobile games and freebies that everyone already have just to get investors, who's to say they won't do it again next time they need investors or keep at it?

With the arcade market not doing so good due to the pandemic, SegaSammy are turning their attention to the mobile gaming market and that will mean less interest in the console/PC gaming market. If Sega needs investors to make sure Sonic stays relevent but it's Sonic Dash and Speed Battle that's keeping him afloat over the actual games they're suppose to market like Sonic Forces and Team Sonic Racing then SegaSammy may shift Sega's interest to the mobile market leaving Console and PC gamers dry.

Agree. We'll still have to see what they're gonna give us for 30th anniversary. I hope they deliver.

Offline Berto

« Reply #188 on: February 17, 2021, 07:10:59 pm »
Eight New Official Sonic 30th Anniversary Posters Revealed

The posters read “Unstoppable for Generations” which is a reference to Sonic Generations, released for Sonic’s 20th anniversary.
The posters are listed on Pyramid America, which is Sonic’s official poster distributor.

Article : https://soahcity.com/2021/02/12/new-official-sonic-30th-anniversary-posters-revealed/

Offline Berto

« Reply #189 on: February 17, 2021, 07:48:38 pm »
Sega of America Teams up With JAKKS Pacific & Disguise
as Official Global Toy and Costume Partner for Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Movie

“We’ve seen such a great response from fans to the Sonic the Hedgehog products created by JAKKS Pacific, and we’re thrilled to continue working with them to celebrate Sonic the Hedgehog 2,” said Alex Gomez, Licensing Director at SEGA of America.
“We hope that fans of the Blue Blur will see the collection as a testament of our appreciation and create memorable Sonic experiences with the products for years to come.” 

Article : https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210217005524/en

Offline Berto

« Reply #190 on: February 22, 2021, 09:04:48 am »
Sonic Forces : Dr. Eggman Runner Reveal Trailer

Devious Dr. Eggman has schemed his way into Sonic Forces Mobile!
Will you join the Eggman Empire or team up with the Resistance?
Prepare for war by choosing your team now!

Watch the trailer here : https://t.co/nB6SdtMEHV

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #191 on: February 22, 2021, 05:18:05 pm »
I was wondering when Dr. Eggman will show up in Speed Battle for the last few years. Though I imagined him actually running than just riding the eggmobile. I know the Babylon Rogues have their extreme gear but it's not like Dr. Eggman can't run when he needs to.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 05:20:07 pm by Mystic Monkey »

Offline Berto

« Reply #192 on: February 22, 2021, 06:48:24 pm »
Yeah, he could outrun Sonic in Sonic 2 so why not.
And he's a genius, surely he could make an invention that could make him run fast.

Offline Berto

« Reply #193 on: February 22, 2021, 06:53:38 pm »
Sonic The Hedgehog Voice Actor Says It Was His Decision To Call It A Day

"You know, after a while you do things and start going ‘I think I’m very pleased and I’m very proud and I’m very happy with what has happened there,’ and I think it’s time to say, ‘I don’t want to keep doing this.’
Some people would be like, “why?” and it’s like, “it doesn’t have to make sense to you.”
It’s perfectly good sense to me and it was the right thing to do, and I’m happy to have done it.’"

Article : https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/02/sonic_the_hedgehog_voice_actor_says_it_was_his_decision_to_call_it_a_day

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #194 on: February 23, 2021, 09:15:26 am »
Yeah, he could outrun Sonic in Sonic 2 so why not.
And he's a genius, surely he could make an invention that could make him run fast.
Yeah. And given he's in Speed Battle in the eggmobile, curious how he will slide under obsticals.
Sonic The Hedgehog Voice Actor Says It Was His Decision To Call It A Day

Article : https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/02/sonic_the_hedgehog_voice_actor_says_it_was_his_decision_to_call_it_a_day
He wasn't my favourite voice for Sonic, but still glad we had him for this long.