Author Topic: I'm betting 9,999,999 Meseta that Sega will reveal a new console by 2020...  (Read 14161 times)

Offline Shun-Di

• Total Meseta: 1
THINK ABOUT IT.  2020 isn't that far off.  Near future, in fact.  All these IPs returning, plus new ones on the way?  More games coming from them each year?  Restoring old faith in the company?  New branding?  If i didn't know any better, I'd think they were preping for something huge.  Call it just a DREAM for now.  But I've got a strong gut feeling.  By the time 2020 rolls around, it'll be the next console generation.  Perhaps Sega will introduce some sort of new VR?
Be like water.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
SEGA might introduce some sort of new VR technology......
..... but for arcade, not console.
What they did with gekitsuioh arcade game was amazing, too bad they only released it in Japan and Asia.

And I don't like the idea SEGA's limiting their ability and market just with one console.
I have to agree with David Rosen on this one :

"I have been advocating the idea that SEGA should providing software for all existing systems and systems to come.
Selling software on one system is limiting your mobility.
Why put yourself to a disadvantage to the Electronic Arts and other companies who have the ability to sell software to all systems."
(David Rosen, SEGA company co-founder)

Offline Shun-Di

Because Sega consoles are more powerful than Nintendo's.  Nintendo chooses to limit themselves even compared to the competition.  Sega would at least be above Nintendo in what they would be able to do.  Imagine VR helmets which every console.  I'd rather play with that than those dinky joycons and a giant tablet.
Be like water.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
Because Sega consoles are more powerful than Nintendo's.

Power is nothing compared to solid first party line-up and third party support.
Remember Jaguar?

Offline Asha

• Total Meseta: 0
Power is nothing compared to solid first party line-up and third party support.
Remember Jaguar?

This. Powerful hardware doesn't mean anything if you don't have what offer.

Also, speaking of Nintendo, I think their "Blue-Sky strategy" is the best for them nowadays. The PlayStation brand is too strong for a direct fight and offering something that Sony can't is a good way to differ from competitors.

Offline Shun-Di

You know what's hilarious about that Jaguar post?  Atari is hinting at a new console.
Be like water.

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
I don't think you understand what happened in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

The Dreamcast could not compete with the PS1 and SEGA lost almost all of its money. They were bailed out of a little debt, but not enough to produce a new console. They were offered to be purchased by both Toshiba and Microsoft at one point, but decided to stay as a third party company.

I think they do very well as is because SEGA does not release very many games as of late. Creating a new home console would be suicide for SEGA.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
I don't think there's any desire for another competing console nor do Sega really have enough behind them to support such a thing. You have to remember a lot has changed since the early 00s and so have the gamers. Those of us who played on Sega consoles on their release will no doubt support them, but there's far more people now who have grown up only knowing Playstation, Xbox and Nintendo. On top of that, you have a robust PC market too which Sega play a big part in.

Interestingly though, if you count every console/PC game Sega have released since 2016 to now, they have actually released more games than both Nintendo and Microsoft when both of them have new hardware out or coming out. Sega actually had more games than Microsoft at E3 this year too. I'll let you draw your own conclusions on that bit of infomation.

It's not a console of course, but Sega seem to be teasing a lot with this "Sega Forever" thing and all clues point to them pushing their back library onto mobile at the moment. We'll have to wait and see how that works exactly, but I'm not so confident with mobile gaming. Anything more than simple flicking controls tend to be a pain I find, so unless Sega plan to introduce a controller and maybe even a TV adapter, I can't see how this will work.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 11:56:20 pm by Tad »

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
Handheld handheld handheld. The answer to all of this is a handheld.

Sega gets their console while still getting getting to play nice with the big 3. Also the handheld market is wide open with 3ds' slow death and Vita's suicide. Only switch would be competing. Sega VS ninty all over again. A battle they can win.

Offline Shun-Di

I don't think you understand what happened in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

The Dreamcast could not compete with the PS1 and SEGA lost almost all of its money. They were bailed out of a little debt, but not enough to produce a new console. They were offered to be purchased by both Toshiba and Microsoft at one point, but decided to stay as a third party company.

I think they do very well as is because SEGA does not release very many games as of late. Creating a new home console would be suicide for SEGA.

Yes that happened but that was YEARS ago.  The mid 2000s weren't so hot for Sega as a 3rd party developer either.  But they've changed since then.  They are getting a fresh start here and they can do it.  You gotta believe!   :afroman:
Be like water.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Handheld handheld handheld. The answer to all of this is a handheld.

Sega gets their console while still getting getting to play nice with the big 3. Also the handheld market is wide open with 3ds' slow death and Vita's suicide. Only switch would be competing. Sega VS ninty all over again. A battle they can win.
My wishful conspiracy theory as well.
Tho it's not that for sure.
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

My wishful conspiracy theory as well.
Tho it's not that for sure.

This Sega Forever thing has mentioned mobile gaming, so who knows. The cassette they sent out had volume #1 and lists Mega Drive games which made me think they would be the first games on mobile under this name, but since then they've tweeted about all their consoles and games which throws the theory of out the window I think. I mean, I just don't seen how a lot of those games would work on a touch screen device only.

Atari are trying it https://twitter.com/gamasutra/status/876824967874199552
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 11:39:55 am by Tad »

Offline Shun-Di

This Sega Forever thing has mentioned mobile gaming, so who knows. The cassette they sent out had volume #1 and lists Mega Drive games which made me think they would be the first games on mobile under this name, but since then they've tweeted about all their consoles and games which throws the theory of out the window I think. I mean, I just don't seen how a lot of those games would work on a touch screen device only.

Atari are trying it https://twitter.com/gamasutra/status/876824967874199552

They called it Volume 1.  :)  I think this will include in later volumes not only Genesis/Mega Drive games, but later on Saturn, Master System, and Dreamcast too. 
Be like water.

Offline Tad

See, I can't see how that would work on mobile as unless you use a controller, the touch screen won't be a good fit.

Offline Shun-Di

See, I can't see how that would work on mobile as unless you use a controller, the touch screen won't be a good fit.

What about modifyed controllers made by 3rd party companies for saturn and dreamcast games for mobile?  Like you know how they have a game boy thing that can slide onto your phone to play game boy games?  I dunno.  I hope this service comes to console too.  Heck even PC.
Be like water.