Author Topic: Yu Suzuki opting crowdfuning for Shenmue III  (Read 7766 times)

Offline loempiavreter

• Total Meseta: 3
Yu Suzuki opting crowdfuning for Shenmue III
« on: March 04, 2013, 01:52:34 am »
From the-magicbox, so may not be the most credible source:
Yu Suzuki said he is considering crowdfunding like Kickstarter to develop Shenmue III, should crowdfunding be successful, he would also continue the story of Shenmue through anime or manga.

Shenmue games where incredibly boring, hopefully they add some more bareknuckle action in it. It had potential, but I alway found the pacing incredibly off. The only thing I liked about Shenmue, where the street fighting bits for cash in Shenmue II, and fighting Baihu, he was a cool character. Shenmue needs more of this and less superfluous running around.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Re: Yu Suzuki opting crowdfuning for Shenmue III
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 05:34:09 am »
Either you were playing it with the wrong mentality or the game is simply not made for you if you think the game was incredibly boring. The only thing i could say was legit, was the fact you had to kill time in shenmue 1 for an event to start at a specific time. Which was fixed in shenmue 2

I will give you that much but other than that i think shenmue was a masterpiece in everything it tried and succeeded to be

The game is supposed to be an adventure/rpg game with fighting elements, not the other way around. If you ask me, i would love them to expand on the adventuring part even. More items that would need to be found and used in order to progress for example. More puzzling. Not to a pacebreaker extent, just to make the adventuring feel less like going from cutscene to cutscene.

That said, ill wait before i get excited. Even if the game starts its funding and succeeds ts goal, the game still has to meet its expectations.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 01:28:31 pm by CrazyTails »

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 07:56:15 am »
Ya know, I don't know much about Suzuki himself, but as far as I'm concernedm there are two types of people: The people who talk and the ones that actually do something.

Yu Suzuki as far as Shenmue is concerned, fall in the former type. I want to see the actual Kickstarter Page, then I might take him seriously.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 10:43:45 am »
Seriously, dude?  You're going to try and say Yu Suzuki is all talk and no action?

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 11:09:55 am »
Well, Sega gave him the license to do that VIRTUA FIGHTER mobile card game which they were(sega) atached to. So they could easily do it again. The problem is for me is whether Suzuki can make it work because the game has been absent for a long time. If anything it has the fans expectations to meet which it can't possible live up to. Another problem for me is that former Sega alumni have not been able to create a game that match up to the games they made while they were in Sega.  Naka came close but that game was made for Sega, since then his other titles have been forgettable. Mizuguchi didn't make anything noteworthy and Suzuki so far seems to be going the same direction.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 12:45:11 pm »
@Centrale

I see what you did there. But yeah, my comment was little dickish. I had a Man-PMS moment,
And much like ROJM said, there are a lot of issues to get here:

Shenmue was a huge gamble because it took up a lot of resources, of course nowadays, these sandbox games  are fairly common, though technically Shenmue is more limited and much more story focused. Which leads to an issue: How much exactly would Yu Suzuki have to charge in order to get the ball running? Does he have a full time staff big enough for such an undertaking?

I doubt it. And considering how japanese developers are more focused on smaller projects, I don't think it would be easy to pull something like this again.  Yuji Naka's Prope is pretty much just making iOS games and not much else (his Sky Night game has most likely been shelved since the Wii's a discontinued system).

Offline Centrale

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 01:08:24 pm »
Agreed, I don't think he has the staff currently in place to take on the project.  And the fact that sandbox games are commonplace now does not make them inexpensive at all.  These types of games are typically made with teams of 200 people, maybe more.

There are a couple of factors in his favor, though... one is that some (unknown) amount of assets for the next game are already made.  Many of the textures for 1 and 2 already have very high resolution versions of them, as we've seen thanks to high res hacks from the fan community.  So it's possible that a bit of the work has already been done, and is of acceptable quality for HD systems.  On the other hand, though, the texture work in the previous two games was all hand-painted.  If it's cost prohibitive to complete the work with hand-painted textures, as it would surely be quicker and cheaper to use photos, then that amount of work that was previously done will be useless.

While Suzuki was with Sega, he had the advantage of infrastructure and staffing and other administrative tasks being handled by other people.  Running his own team and his own company both administratively and creatively for a large project is going to be a huge challenge.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 02:16:59 pm »
Shenmue was never about bareknuckle action or straight up revenge. Leave that for the GTAs and the Yakuza games.

I loved how they didn't allow the player to randomly fight anybody you want on the street, and held the player back from giving them complete control when it came to who they fought. Part of Ryo's quest is self control. The player themselves are told that its not about doing whatever you want, its about doing what is right and what must be done.

Hell, George and I don't even think the series ends with Ryo killing Lan Di. It would be far more profound if Lan Di wasn't pure evil and that Ryo's father was as imperfect as Lan Di at one point in time. 

Offline Centrale

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 04:06:29 pm »
I agree that Ryo is not going to end up going purely for revenge against Lan Di.  Possibly, he is going to slip further into obsession with collection of capsule toys.  Just kidding about that.  But he's received quite a strong warning from Xiuying about revenge.  I think he'll, in one way or another, encounter her brother and that will help him choose another path.

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 02:40:21 am »
basically if yu suzuki does the talk he has to do the walk

come on seriously.

Offline loempiavreter

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 03:34:05 am »
Shenmue was never about bareknuckle action or straight up revenge. Leave that for the GTAs and the Yakuza games.

It was not, but to honest I disliked Ryƫ ga Gotoku even more, let alone GTA which I can't stand completely (which to me is basically the same pointless running around, just because you can punch a few nutters on the street or drive over some folk doesn't mean it isn't as equally pointless as Shenmue...).

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 01:42:45 pm »
I would be willing to dump a large wad of cash down for Kickstarter if this is true. Especially if there are some sick rewards for higher end funding!

Problem is, how much money would he need to raise? Making even a half competent game for Shenmue would cost millions upon millions. Double Fine raised, what 4 Million? And I doubt that game is going to be anywhere near as big as Shenmue would need to be.

Either we're going to end up with a tiny game to finish the story with low end graphics and severely cut down gameplay (Which, mind you, might still be a stunningly good game) or he should funnel the money into making an Anime or Manga to finish the tale.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 02:04:17 pm »
$100,000 level - Yu Suzuki will come to your house, cook you dinner, and then as you eat he will tell you the entire plot of Shenmue 3 and beyond.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 02:14:59 pm »
^Plus 'Executive Producer' credit in the game.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 02:17:22 pm »
^Plus 'Executive Producer' credit in the game.

And you get to voice an NPC.