Author Topic: Yu Suzuki's Next Big IP Rea Fighters  (Read 11282 times)

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
Yu Suzuki's Next Big IP Rea Fighters
« on: September 22, 2013, 06:16:53 pm »
Before anybody gets any ideas. No Rea Fighters is not a game he is making it is just an idea that I would like to see him execute.

The Wii had noticeable success with ladies, specifically in the Wii Fitness demographic. I knew Ladies that bought Wii for their kids but went ahead and bought Wii Fitness for themselves along with a Pilates or Yoga games.

Now we have the new Kinect coming out and we should get a martial art simulator. I initially thought it could be a Shenmue spin off with Iwao Hazuki (Segata Sanshiro himself) showing off some moves and making us mimic him. It would have been great fun.

I am an avid martial artist, but in order to be stay good at it you need to practice a lot. I have a hard time doing that cause usually in class I am shadowing practitioners around me. At home I have to recall the moves and often times I end up making up the wrong moves. That is never good.

Additionally, I have noticed martial arts is extremely popular here in Texas at least with countless dojo's teaching butchered versions of Kung-Fu in order to make the art more accessible to Americans - I think it is all marketing. But that is another topic.

Just imagine having

Lau Chan: As a Hangar teacher
Sara Byrant: As a Tae-Kwon-do teacher
Shun Di: As a Zuijiuquan teacher

Could be pretty fun don't you think?

Also on a side note: I was googling the art styles for Virtua Fighter characters and came across naked models of Sarah Byrant. Thank you Sega for allowing perverts like Tecmo access to Virtua Fighter characters.

On a more upbeat note YS.Net has actually produced a game that has nothing to do with Shenmue.
https://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/id574368185
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 06:22:49 pm by cube_b3 »

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: Yu Suzuki's Next Big IP Rea Fighters
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 07:51:55 am »
Have you played Kinect? Nothing works properly on it except for the most simple of motions. I would not trust anything martial arts related to remotely work on the platform.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 10:52:12 am »
I don't why Suzuki would leave Sega for an on-rails shooter for iOS. He could do that at Sega

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 11:02:47 am »
Wasn't REAL FIGHTERS a code name for a game or VIRTUA FIGHTER ages back? Too bad the names taken by another game company now.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 06:06:28 pm »
Well he always focused on pronouncing "A" instead of "L"

Hence I removed the L and made it Rea Fighters.

@ Trippled: It appears to be a deeper game than just Rail Shooting. Also he is a supervisor just like he was in Shenmue City. The only game he made himself from my understanding is Cool Champs. Even though he has quit, Sega he still wants to manage a team rather than actually restart making games like Naka or Mizuguchi.

@ MMG: I specifically want this for the X1 Kinect. I have seen the endo-scans and it is capable of catching much more complex movements.

I have also used the current Gen Kintect -Just once - I found it alright.
Played that sports mini game, where I simply had to jump, duck or spread my hands out to collect coins.

I actually saw my character simulate quite a few of my movements, like how I would move my next or bend my knees. And come on, if the female demographic can get multiple Yoga and Pilate games that make use of a pad that is inferior to the DDR mats. I think I could get a lot of fun and exercise out of it.

The best thing would be I can request the teacher to show me that move, as many times I want. I can even Shadow my teacher. My real life Sifu has to instruct 11 other students. He can't show me a move more than twice.

I really think this can work and it is precisely something Suzuki would be interested in... I'll tweet it to him, lol.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 06:08:36 pm by cube_b3 »

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 07:03:29 pm »
WIth the F2P craze, Sega should let Yu revive Shenmue Online.

Not what people wanted, but it would be the Sega way! lol

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 08:40:47 pm »
Let's not take this discussion in that direction please.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 09:29:35 pm »
@ MMG: I specifically want this for the X1 Kinect. I have seen the endo-scans and it is capable of catching much more complex movements.

I have also used the current Gen Kintect -Just once - I found it alright.
Played that sports mini game, where I simply had to jump, duck or spread my hands out to collect coins.

I actually saw my character simulate quite a few of my movements, like how I would move my next or bend my knees. And come on, if the female demographic can get multiple Yoga and Pilate games that make use of a pad that is inferior to the DDR mats. I think I could get a lot of fun and exercise out of it.

The best thing would be I can request the teacher to show me that move, as many times I want. I can even Shadow my teacher. My real life Sifu has to instruct 11 other students. He can't show me a move more than twice.

I really think this can work and it is precisely something Suzuki would be interested in... I'll tweet it to him, lol.

Kinect could work in very very basic terms like picking up an arm or leg going outwards. It couldn't handle anything resembling fighting unless the move is 'Move your left arm to your left'.

The new Kinect might be better, but I highly doubt it will be able to pick up intricacies required for martial arts.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 11:12:52 pm »
Kinect 1.0 tracks 20 joints and even in it's current state is very impressive for any martial artist who would like to build a simulator.

Check these videos
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk_cQVjqFZ4[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTBvjLGDluY[/youtube]

The depth and skeletal sensors easily enable the device to distinguish between a stretch kick or a crescent kick.

This is a very early leaked image and possible false about Kinect 2.0

I assume the actual Kinect 2.0 would be much more powerful.

Let's face it, nobody wanted to play Rise of Nightmares even though it was really optimized for Kinect. Kinect will never replace controllers for hardcore gamers, but it could be targeted at the fitness demographic regardless of gender.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 04:48:20 am »
Well he always focused on pronouncing "A" instead of "L"
Naw this is going back a decade and the title was called REAL FIGHTERS because Sega even trademarked it once. This isn't an entirely new concept.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 08:37:48 am »
This is a great idea, and something that could definitely work with Kinect. Assuming something like this is made (and it's probably only a matter of time before Ubisoft does something like this -- probably with Tai Chi -- although a Yu Suzuki-designed version would have more soul), it would fit right into the emerging fitness/instruction market.

One key would be to design and promote it as fitness/training, rather than trying to make a core game out of it. One of the challenges with all motion capture, not just Kinect, is when the person being tracked turns more than 90 degrees either way. Tracking points cross or disappear momentarily, and the computer has to speculate about what is going on. This can be mitigated by having periodic 'recalibration' times, just like the excellent instructional Rocksmith games keep periodically having the user make sure the guitar is in tune. In between lessons/activities, have the user return to a home position and basic pose.

Another key to the success of this type of project would be to downplay the importance of fast action, and emphasize the importance of proper form. That's essential to martial arts in itself, and plays to Kinect's strengths rather than trying to push it in a direction of weakness, like core gaming. Although Kinect already has a decent framerate. The dancing games for it are basically evaluating the players' form quite quickly. Kinect 2.0 is going to be an all-around improvement, and obviously with it being able to detect heart rate it's been designed with fitness gaming in mind.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 08:41:58 am by Centrale »

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 01:22:03 pm »
Maybe I should head over to ShenmueDojo....

I think I will.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 03:57:18 am »
Maybe I should head over to ShenmueDojo....

I think I will.
Goodbye!

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 01:28:12 pm »
I think good luck, would've been more appropriate.

I don't need to leave a forum to go to another one...
I'll probably polish my post before I go there though.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 04:52:11 am »
Good luck!