Author Topic: Your Favourite Games of the Decade?  (Read 4963 times)

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
Your Favourite Games of the Decade?
« on: December 19, 2010, 02:27:19 am »
Because I am like that we should just say what our favorite games of the past eleven years were because we can add Dreamcast to the mix still. I doubt that will upset anyone.

I think this will be really interesting to see just how different all of our tastes are. No ones opinions are wrong though, except Shadi's.

Also, obviously we have not played every game every year for the past eleven years, so this is not a "Final thought" list or anything. There are tons of games I have wanted to play for years, but still have not.

Mine:

2000 - Shenmue (Dreamcast)
2001 - Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox)
2002 - The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GameCube)
2003 - Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution (PlayStation 2)
2004 - Ninja Gaiden (Xbox)
2005 - Super Monkey Ball Deluxe (Multiplatform)
2006 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Multiplatform)
2007 - Virtua Fighter 5 Online (Xbox 360)
2008 - Yakuza 2 (PlayStation 2)
2009 - Plants vs Zombies (PC)
2010 - Halo Reach (Xbox 360)

Honorable mentions:

2000 - Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast), Phantasy Star Online (Multiplatform), MDK2 (Multiplatform)
2001 - Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast), Shenmue II (Multiplatform), Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PlayStation 2), Jak and Daxter: The Precursor's Legacy (PlayStation 2), Wario Land 4 (Game Boy Advance)
2002 - Drakan: The Ancient's Gate (PlayStation 2), Virtua Fighter 4 (PlayStation 2)
2003 - Panzer Dragoon Orta (Xbox), OutRun2 (Multiplatform), Astro Boy: Omega Factor (Game Boy Advance)
2004 - DefJam: Fight for New York (Multiplatform), Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (GameCube), Halo 2 (Xbox)
2005 - Resident Evil 4 (GameCube version), Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath (Xbox), Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2)
2006 - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Multiplatform)
2007 - Lost Odyssey (Xbox 360), Halo 3 (Xbox 360), BioShock (Multiplatform)
2008 - Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (Xbox 360)
2009 - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PlayStation 3), Batman: Arkham Asylum (Multiplatform), Shadow Complex (Xbox 360)
2010 - DeathSmiles (Xbox 360), Yakuza 3 (PlayStation 3), Bayonetta (Multiplatform)

I must confess that I had most of this list finished weeks ago. I am a weird nerd like that.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: Your Favorite Games of the Decade?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 04:21:54 am »
Hmmm what the hell, seems like fun.

2000: Shenmue (Dreamcast)
I count Shenmue 1 and 2 as one game split into two parts, and together they form what is easily my favourite game of all time. I don't think I need to elaborate much more, I love EVERYTHING about them.
Runner Ups;

2001: Shenmue II (Dreamcast)
See above.
Runner Ups;

2002: Mafia (PC)
Still one of my all-time favourite games. It has one of the best combinations of gameplay, story and presentation of any game I've ever played. I really can't think of much that I don't like about this game.
Runner Ups:
- Jet Set Radio Future
I didn't really get into this at the time, but afterwards I realised it's brilliance. Excellent game.
- Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell
The game that kicked off what has become one of my favourite video game series. Probably the first stealth based game I ever played, I absolutely loved this.

2003: Project Gotham Racing 2 (Xbox)
As soon as I saw this title pop up in 2003 gaming, I knew I had my GOTY. Quite simply my favourite racing game ever (Sorry Sega). The gameplay, range of game types, excellent online options, number of tracks, number of cars, the graphics, the music... just outstanding.

When I first got this game, I played for about 3 hours and decided to stop because my eyes were sore. I lasted about ten minutes before sitting down to keep playing.

Runner ups;
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
One of my favourite RPGs ever, the game world, gameplay and story were all top notch. It just felt so bloody great and just like being in a Star Wars movie. The sort of game I'm constantly pining to play again.

- Deus Ex 2: Invisible War
No where near as good as the original, but then again what game is? Still a great game in it's own right.

- Evil Dead: A Fistful of Boomstick
Not a 'good' game by any stretch, but it was so much FUN. The game has Bruce Campbell and a 'one-liner button'. This is still the single best use for a button in any video game ever made.

- Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
I can't decide if I like this or the sequel better, but I really loved both of these games. The gunplay was fun and the comic book storytelling seems like it was ahead of the curve (look at how many comic book inspired games and movies are around now).

- OutRun 2
Again, a game I didn't really 'get' when it came out, but learned to love later on.

- Postal 2
This game has a button dedicated to urinating. Second only to Evil Dead for the best use of a button in any video game ever.

- Rise of Nations
Great little RTS title. Not quite turn-based and not quite real-time, but it was all fun.

2004: Rome: Total War (PC)
I could lose months playing this game. I'd never played a strategy game with the scope and size of this. The amount of factions and units was amazing and the gameplay was awesome fun. I can still go back and play this game from time to time and have fun with it.

Runner ups;
- Fable
 It's simple and it's short, but it's got character by the truckload and theres something about it that just clicks with me.

- GTA: San Andreas
I didn't like this anywhere near as much as Vice City, but this was still a damn good game.

- Half-Life 2
After how much I adored the first game (still my favourite FPS), this was a dissapointment, but still excellent

- Halo 2
I didn't like this as much as Halo 1 (Is there a pattern emerging here?) again, brilliant multi-player and a solid single player game made this a favourite on the Xbox.

- Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
Great follow up to the original, it was more of the same, but that's all I wanted from it.

2005: Psychonauts (Xbox)
Absolutely brilliant game, both in terms of the gameplay and the truly unique style and direction. This year was a tough call, but I had to go with this in the end, it was just all kinds of wonderful. If you haven't played it and like platformers even a minute amount, you need to get it.

Runner ups;
- Yakuza
Fantastic game that I only played for the first time this year. I don't need to go into detail about why this game is good on this forum.

- Age of Empires III
First RTS game i played online, and wow I loved it. The card system was really addictive and I just loved the way the factions had gained so much more diversity since the second game. Not quite as good as Age of Kings in my mind, but a great game.

- Condemned: Criminal Origins
A fantastic horror game, probably the scariest game I've played as well. Some things, like the way guns work, haven't been outdone by any horror game since IMO.

- Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes
Bought this game on a whim, and i'm so glad I did. Outstanding mix of strategy and action, and hard as a fucking rock. It's a game I constantly want to come back to and play again, purely because there is so little else like it.

- Resident Evil 4
I only played the re-release on Wii, but wow is this game polished. The gameplay is fun, the unlockables are numerous and it's just plain great all around.

- Rome Total War: Barbarian Invasion
It's an expansion, but it felt like a brand new game. All new factions and units and new options that really changed the game (like swimming units and night-fighting), I lost many more months to this, just like the original.

I'm going to be here all night if I keep up this detail, I'll have to get back to it later!

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 10:40:33 am »
I'm not too good at narrowing things down, but I got it down to 15 games from the past 11 years. I tried to go with variety too.

Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube)
Elite Beat Agents (DS)
Space Channel 5: Part 2 (Dreamcast)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Valkyria Chronicles (PS3)
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)
Yakuza 2 (PS2)
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (Multiplatform)
WWF: No Mercy (N64)
Portal (PC)
Shenmue II (Dreamcast)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
Rez (Dreamcast)
Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 (Multiplatform)
Batman: Arkham Asylum (Multiplatform)

A few runner's up:
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (DS), Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast), Super Smash Bros. Melee (Gamecube), Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3), Final Fantasy XIII(PS3), Final Fantasy IX (PS1), New Super Mario Bros. (Wii), Rock Band 3 (PS3), Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (Gamecube), Metroid Prime (Gamecube), I should probably stop now......

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 01:05:08 pm »
I have a few holes in mine, as there were years when I was playing older games and wasn't playing anything current (due to college). So even if a game released in 2006 and I played it in 2009, I'm not counting it as I wasn't playing it at the time of release.

2000 - Shenmue
Runner up: Jet Set Radio

2001 - Shenmue 2
Runner up: Ico

2002 - Jet Set Radio Future
Runner up: Rez

2003 - Space Channel 5: Special Edition (Space Channel 5 Part 2 specifically)

2004 - Katamari Damacy
Runner up: Sonic Heroes (not a fan of it now, but it was one of the few games I bought and played in 2004 and I enjoyed it then)

2005 - Super Monkey Ball Deluxe

2006 - NOTHING! I wasn't buying or playing current games at this time. Lots of older titles though.

2007 - ditto

2008 - Sonic Unleashed (PS2)
Only because it was the ONLY new game that I bought that year. I had yet to own a 360/PS3/Wii so I was limited tio new releases for the XBOX (and there were none) and the PS2 (there were very few, and even those were Wii ports or crap... or both.
Runner up: Sega Superstars Tennis

2009 - Wind & Water Puzzle Battles (Dreamcast)
Runner up: Braid / Qubed
While this was the year I bought my 360, I didn't really buy many (if any) new games. I was catching up on games I missed out on, so I played '06 (yuck), Unleashed, Virtua Fighter 5 and many more in 2009. I did, however, buy two XBLA titles (see the 2009 runner ups).

2010 - Bayonetta
Runners up: Just cause 2 / Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing

Offline Monkeroony

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: Your Favourite Games of the Decade?
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 01:16:02 pm »
@Soup

You forgot Burnout Paradise!

I don't have a favourite per year as I stopped playing games after the DC and started again with Xbox 360.

I would put Banjo Kazooie Nuts N' Bolts, Halo Reach, BFBC, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank A Crack in Time, Burnout Paradise, Shenmue, Elder Scrolls Oblivion, Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy and inFamous as some games that anyone should try.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 01:53:01 pm »
2000 - Shenmue
2001 - Shenmue 2
2002 - Virtua Fighter 4
2003 - I don't want to pick Virtua Fighter 4 again even though it's the correct answer, so probably F-Zero, Panzer Dragon Orta, Advance Wars 2, Soul Calibur 2 or Outrun 2 in the arcades. Yes I can't decide, so sue me.
2004 - Grand Theft Auto: San Adreas
2005 - Sly Cooper 3
2006 - Yakuza 2
2007 - Virtua Fighter 5
2008 - de Blob / Valkyria Chronicles
2009 - Yakuza 3
2010 - Yakuza 4

Runnerups in the list include: Skies of Arcadia, Jet Set Radio, Pro Evolution Soccer 4, Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast, Resident Evil 4, Advance Wars, Bayonetta, Vice City, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Super Monkey Ball, Psychonauts, Madfia, Sly Cooper and Virtua Tennis. Those are off the tip of my head, but there probably are a few more.

Might change this list later.

For the last generation, Shenmue 1 or 2 were my games of the generation, currently Virtua Fighter 5 holds the tag of Game of the Generation for me.

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 05:59:07 pm »
This topic was hard work, but it was fun thinking back.

2000 - Skies of Arcadia (I was acutally playing Diablo2 Mac more, Skies I played much later but it's a better game).
2001 - Phantasy Star Online
2002 - Godzilla Destroy All Monsters Melee I bought both versions of this game.
2003 - Panzer Dragoon Orta.  I bought my XBOX for this game.
2004 - World of Warcraft (destroyed my life for 2 years until I quit)
2005 - Destroy All Humans? I was still almost exclusively playing WoW.  
2006 - Dead Rising I bought the XBOX 360 in anticipation of Clive Barker's Demonik, which never happened.  Dead Rising was my first HD game.
2007 - Clive Barker's Jericho.  I'm a Clive Barker fan above everything else.  The gameplay could have been better, but the story was awesome.  I proved my fandom with a 1000 gamerscore on this game.  
2008 - Valkyria Chronicles  I bought my PS3 for this game, and it was totally worth it.  
2009 - Either Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, or Borderlands.  I spent more time on Borderlands, so probably that one.
2010 - Plants Vs. Zombies XBLA (I also have the iPhone and iPad versions of this game.  Really addictive).

Offline SOUP

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 11:29:37 pm »
Quote from: "Monkeroony"
@Soup

You forgot Burnout Paradise!

Gah! You're right. I put a solid 20 hours into that game in the first 2 days I had it.  I forgot to put Flower on there too. So many good games.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 02:52:03 pm »
Can't be bothered to go though all the years but I'll simply say Shenmue 1 and 2... Or should I just say Shenmue as a whole is my favourite game of the decade.
Made by SEGA

Offline Chaosmaster8753

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 09:56:11 pm »
Well, here's a list of games I've enjoyed that came out the last decade:

Portal: Still Alive, Super Smash Bros. Melee & Brawl, Kingdom Hearts 1+2, Super Mario Galaxy, Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (I've been getting into it more recently, though), Pac-Man: Championship Edition DX, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, and a few others.

Offline ShenmueAddict

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 09:36:22 pm »
just i love Shenmue
and i'm still playing Shenmue
not another game