Author Topic: What Model 3 arcade games would you want on Switch if it could happen?  (Read 3505 times)

Offline parallaxscroll

• Total Meseta: 1

For many fans, the true holy grail of reissues would be if M2 moved on from their ports of Sega's Model 2 arcade system boards to Model 3. Okunari says that there's a reason that hasn't happened yet.

"This has more to do with how the teams are divided amongst Sega as a company," he notes. "Up until now, M2 has been focused on 8-bit and 16-bit ports, whereas Dreamcast and Saturn titles were done by staff that were assigned to those games from teams like AM2 or Sega of China. The idea behind that was to make these porting lines run as efficiently as possible, with the teams learning the know-how behind specific systems."

"At the time, if M2 had researched porting Model 2 or 3 on their own and come to Sega for that, we’d have told them we already had teams assigned to it, or the market isn’t right at the time. That said, that sort of corporate direction has ended recently, and M2’s is the only port line that really exists anymore. There’s a possibility that ports for Model 3 could continue on their side."

"Model 3 might actually be easier than Model 2," says Horii. "We’re obviously interested, but Sega would have to make the business call there. We’ve mostly been focusing on getting Game Gear and 3D Classics working, so there hasn’t really been any time to research much outside of that. If the opportunity presented itself, I’d certainly consider it."

"Over the past 11 years of the Sega Archive Project, M2 has slowly crept its way through SEGA hardware history, learning each system one by one," says Okunari. "As the hardware evolves, external chips get brought in, and the boards themselves get powered up - but a lot of the core programming is the same. Their studies are evolving along with the hardware itself. They’ve entered the 1990s, so perhaps we’ll continue along that route."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/271511/Upgrading_history_How_M2_created_3D_versions_of_classic_Sega_games.php

What Model 3 games do you want on Switch if Sega & M2 decided to make that a reality?

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: What Model 3 arcade games would you want on Switch if it could happen?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 12:47:48 am »
Why only Switch?

Offline parallaxscroll

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 06:05:40 pm »
Being that these games would most likely be released in Japan first, the only other platform that makes sense is the PS4, which hasn't sold very well over there.  I was thinking M2 would continue to focus on a Nintendo system and given that the 3DS / New 3DS don't have the hardware performance to run Model 3 games, Switch would be a perfect fit.

I also think that if it does happen, a Model 3 Classics series would't get announced until the Switch has been on the market for awhile. The 3DS launched in Japan February 2011 and the first Sega 3D Classic (Space Harrier) was released there December 2012.

So being realistic, if Sega & M2 went ahead with bringing Model 3 games to Switch it might only happen in late 2018, but if PS4 was the target platform it could happen much sooner.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 12:43:05 pm »
Some of these games have already had nice ports, so I'm not that excited about the prospect of M2 tackling this era of games. Of the games shown above, maybe Scud Race would be most intriguing to me. I think of it as kind of an awkward era in gaming, as the industry shifted away from the beautiful, fully-realized art direction of 2D games and was kind of groping around trying to get a handle on 3D games in a period of rapid technological progress. This era of games was quickly surpassed by what was possible on the Dreamcast, so it's mostly interesting to me as an opportunity for historical perspective rather than games that I think will really have deep and satisfying gameplay in 2017. In contrast I think the Mega Drive and earlier arcade games that M2 has worked on do have more replay value than many of these arcade games.

Online Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 08:09:19 pm »
Up until now, M2 has been focused on 8-bit and 16-bit ports, whereas Dreamcast and Saturn titles were done by staff that were assigned to those games from teams like AM2 or Sega of China.

Wow. I never knew before that SEGA of China doing development thing, I though they're only active on arcade business.
Now I understand why we got so many chinese sub localization of SEGA games (Yakuza series, Phantasy Star Nova, Project Diva series)