Author Topic: Mobile Phones  (Read 5360 times)

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Mobile Phones
« on: December 25, 2012, 04:58:35 pm »
Ever since I was a little kid I've always had interest in mobile communications, now even more so because I'm retiring my good (most of times) faithful BlackBerry Bold 9700. It had a good 12-month run.
I usually burn out my phones rather quickly, but I feel I do even more so ever since I drew apart from Nokia. They make the best phones no doubt.

Here's a quick look at the phones I went through.
(<--my current BlackBerry)

From the worst (Samsung Galaxy S) to the best (Nokia 6630), I've been through some interesting ones.
My favorite ended up being the Nokia 7500 (the one with the triangles).

Feel free to share what you're sporting now, and past experiences, future expectancies, suggestions..
I'm currently contemplating the Nokia Lumia 820 or 800 as my next phone. Though Nokia 808 is still an option as well (I love quirky phones)
SEG4GES

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
Re: Mobile Phones
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 05:23:16 pm »
Yeah, it's crazy how mobile phones have evolved, it's crazy thinking they used to be the size of bricks xD

Rightnow i got a HTC One V, not an amazing phone, but not bad either, does what i need to do, and can play non-demanding games like Sonic CD and Sonic Jump.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MCrfXDiQWs[/youtube]

Can't stop cracking up xD "weighs only 30 ounces"

Offline ungibbed

• Total Meseta: 4
  • hater of haters...
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 06:19:21 pm »
I had the same Bold 9700 and used that bigger for two years then it finally wigged out on me at random. Tried every trick in the book to bring it back to life but my efforts were fruitless. I loved it since I had the charging pod and many other extras to complement it (much of it I still have) from the official multimedia headset to the Blackberry Playbook.

I loved the audio quality on that phone with the media player. Music sounded great with it and low bit-rate encoded .mp4 video with BBOS 6. The other nice surprise was the quality of it's autofocus camera a feature the the much newer 9900 lacked. I was using my older and slower 8310 (in red) and looked long for a 9780 as a replacement as they shared all the same parts on the case.

I gave in and picked up a Galaxy S2 which was the worst of the bunch since I've been with T-Mobile for over twelve years. I quickly gotaannoyed with that phone as the updates to ICS were released and a insanely annoying "feature" popped up. Every single time I restart the phone (warm or cold boot) all my media files on my memory card developed ghost files. I had to go into the media cache, delete the database and then restart the phone again and wait for it to finish. Eventually all smartphone models need a restart front time to time regardless if it's a 'Berry, Android, WP7, or even an iPhone.

I sold my three month old Galaxy S2 online and kept 32GB memory card (class 10) which was overkill for that phone. I bought a unlocked iPhone 4S and loved the fact that it just worked. I already had a lot of apps for the iPhone since I had an iPod Touch as well as my trusty iPad 2. Using the iPhone around my house was okay but the iphone lacked a very important feature for me and that was Wifi calling or UMA on my old Bold 9700 long before.

On the road, the fast network speed of the S2 spoiled me. Being in a poor coverage area at my house along the river data speed was awesome, call quality sucked rocks.

Along came the Galaxy S III on T-Mobile and I did my homework before buying as I would have to pay retail since technically I was in contract for the wonky GS2.

After all is said and done, I bought a Galaxy S III and haven't had a single technical issue with it. Using the same SIM card that was replaced on the day I bought the S2 and didn't care for the overpriced Bold 9900, the Galaxy S III is the best mobile phone I've ever had including the 32GB iPhone 4S.

Full 720p display, easy to find parts thanks to a common design, a killer sounding music player with custom equalizer. In the end, I have my wifi calling back along with some decent gaming ability with this model. Graphics are smooth all through the UI on Jelly Bean and gaming on Android has come a long way from a afterthought to some killer graphics rivaling close to my iPhone 4S. Only minor details. Video and pictures look amazing thanks to all the options in the camera from real time filters for both photo and video. Awesome stuff. I can now see why this phone is so popular. A lot of bang in a very slim profile giving me both the flexibility of my old Blackberry and modern features that are expected from a phone in this price range.

Some games looking so clear that it's amazing that all of this is from a single phone. For heavy visuals and gaming though, the PS Vita holds it's ground. I have yet to try out a gamepad with the S III, but have heard good things from games that have native support.
I despise ignorant fanboys. Enjoy the great games on all systems or platforms. There is no reason for blind hate...

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 06:34:27 pm »
@Will
yeah, it really is amazing how far technology has come. And I find staggering that every time mobile phone tech starts stagnating suddenly there's something new and exciting to explore  :)

@ungibbed
I swore myself that I would never ever get a Samsung again.
Maybe a few members here recall that 2 years ago I made a happy review on my happy experience with my happy Galaxy S.
Well, it fell. Once. From a 50cm high table, bouncing off a cushion before hitting the floor. Completely broken.
That thing cost freaking 600 euros (close to 800USD) and it had the build quality of a salt cracker.
Not to mention numerous software issues, overall lag, and complete annihilation when compared to the iPhone 4 (which I should have bought back then).

It's cool to ear the S3 is better. But I searched up some "crash tests" when it came out and blimey it's still a salt cracker. Though a larger one now. Meanwhile I started hating Android with a passion (thanks to my mediocre experiences with it, the Xperia Mini was another mistake)..
 I'm leaning on Windows Phone right now. Looks fresh and simple.

SEG4GES

Offline ungibbed

• hater of haters...
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 12:14:24 am »
@Will
yeah, it really is amazing how far technology has come. And I find staggering that every time mobile phone tech starts stagnating suddenly there's something new and exciting to explore  :)

@ungibbed
I swore myself that I would never ever get a Samsung again.
Maybe a few members here recall that 2 years ago I made a happy review on my happy experience with my happy Galaxy S.
Well, it fell. Once. From a 50cm high table, bouncing off a cushion before hitting the floor. Completely broken.
That thing cost freaking 600 euros (close to 800USD) and it had the build quality of a salt cracker.
Not to mention numerous software issues, overall lag, and complete annihilation when compared to the iPhone 4 (which I should have bought back then).

It's cool to ear the S3 is better. But I searched up some "crash tests" when it came out and blimey it's still a salt cracker. Though a larger one now. Meanwhile I started hating Android with a passion (thanks to my mediocre experiences with it, the Xperia Mini was another mistake)..

The old Bold 9700 wasn't quite bulletproof either. I had actually cracked the LCD on it by pressing the upper portion of the volume rocker and T-Mobile did right by replacing the phone for me but still the problem was apparent due to the LCD being so close to the front surface of the phone. Wavy pattern still there when using the volume rocker on a brand new phone... I liked the old Bold, but despite the overhaul with BlackBerry OS 6, the 9700 really lacked the memory to keep going due to memory leaks and other issues.

If you waited this long, you might as well wait for a BlackBerry 10 device.
 I'm leaning on Windows Phone right now. Looks fresh and simple.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 12:15:05 pm by ungibbed »
I despise ignorant fanboys. Enjoy the great games on all systems or platforms. There is no reason for blind hate...

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 05:18:08 am »
Here's a nice little trip down memory lane:

Mistubishi Trium
Nokia 1100
Nokia N76
Nokia 5530 Xpress
ZTE Blade (aka TMN A5)

Offline ungibbed

• hater of haters...
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 02:08:46 pm »
After some thought over the different mobile phones I had over the years, it's rather scary...

Samsung T-309
Samsung T-809
Apple iPhone (8GB original)
HTC TYTN II 8925 (AT&T Tilt)
Apple iPhone 3G (16GB)
Nokia Mural
BlackBerry 8310
Samsung Behold II
HTC Magic (T-Mobile Mytouch 3G Limited Edition Fender model) -still have this bugger...
Motorola Cliq
BlackBerry Bold 9700
HTC Glacier (Mytouch 4G)
HTC Sensation 4G
BlackBerry Bold 9700 (loved old faithful and bought the BlackBerry PlayBook to use with it.)
Samsung Galaxy S2
Apple iPhone 4S (factory unlocked 32GB model)

Current...

Samsung Galaxy S3

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 04:31:59 pm »
^didn't know about the Nokia Mural, looks awesome

Which one is your favorite of all? Not necessarily the best, just the one you're most fond of?

What's your take on the ZTE max?
SEG4GES

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 05:12:35 pm »
Well, the ZTE Blade is one of the most interesting smartphones around.

I say interesting because it's earned the unofficial status of "The People's Smartphone". Here's a quick rundown of ups and downs about the actual device:

First the bad:
-Camera is below average, takes decent photos in broad daylight and that's about it, video recording quality is mediocre;
-Features a ton of bloatware, regardless of the carrier (rooting the device is mandatory);
-Low Internal Memory, 200 MBs is very little since the OS already eats up a huge chunk of said space, I recommend having a Class 10 Micro SD card in there to Create a Partition;
-Weak CPU, but then again, this smartphone is nearly two years old;

Now the good:
-Very accessible price point;
-Overall the best smartphone under 100€;
-Has various indie teams making custom ROMs;
-Can run Gingerbread and a few custom Ice Cream Sandwich roms;
-Sleek design, good grip, overall good construction;
-Great OLED screen;
-Good touch quality;
-Wi-fi is very good;
-Runs a ton of great apps;
-Lightweight;
-Good battery life;

Though, to be honest, there are a few alternatives to this one, or so I've heard, like the Huawei Ideos X5. Which is slighty more expensive.
But I'm just waiting for the ZTE Blade III to come out. It's been out since September but I don't know when it'll be sold in Portugal and which of the three major carrier will provide it.

Offline ungibbed

• hater of haters...
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 07:45:35 pm »
^didn't know about the Nokia Mural, looks awesome

Which one is your favorite of all? Not necessarily the best, just the one you're most fond of?

What's your take on the ZTE max?

Over the years, I really liked my Bold 9700 from T-Mobile USA. It wasn't the fastest nor trendy in a sea of touch screens and Apple iPhones. When the OS6 release for the Bold 9700 on my carrier, it was nearly bulletproof. The only cons were the limited application memory and dwindling support due to the uncertain future of RIM. When I had picked up a PlayBook out of curiosity and used Bridge Mode, the combo really kicked ass.

Loved using the Playbook over 3G which made owning the old 9700 a great combo over 3G. It was surprisingly fast...

I also liked the Nokia Mural with it's unusual all steel body for a flip phone. The major setback for me was no QWERTY option nor standard standard headset Jack.