Author Topic: The films of 2014: The King is back, Apes Rise and Enemies Unite!  (Read 38999 times)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: The films of 2014: The King is back, Apes Rise and Enemies Unite!
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 09:32:08 pm »
It is fucking depressing considering that the 1990 independent film is STILL the best repersentation of the comic book series. Is it perfect? No, it is toned down and stuff, but some of the scenes just felt like it was out of the comic book (like Ralph getting beaten up on the roof reminded me of the Christmas special they did when Leo was being hunted down and everyones like "Where's Leo").

Even TMNT II: Secret of the Ooze wasn't as good as the above film. It took the gritty New York underground, characters with real problems and traded it in for a 'sillier' more kid friendly flick, which at the time is understandable. At least some of the action scenes where sweet, abit a bit silly.

TMNT III was terrible. Ignored everything from the comics, terrible story, acting and pacing. Ah, the Ninja costumes also look terribly low budget.

So, in my opinion, no I don't like this 'new look' for the turtles. There was nothing wrong with the look they had in the comics/first film. If anything they need to base the series on the IDW current one that already fantastically gives the comic a blend of the cartoon and the old 'grit' and 'dark' feeling the original comic had.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 01:30:18 pm »
On one hand I wanted to hate on the new plot and backstories, but the franchise has always mixed things up in that regard. From the sound of it, this version has April's dad and William Fichtner's character worked at TCRI (perhaps they work Baxter Stockman in as well?) and they either intentionally or inadvertently created the TMNT. William Fichtner appears to have a samurai fascination, and from the look of the wall scroll, perhaps he was inspired by an ancient Japanese leader named Oroku Saki to revive Saki's movement and form a new Foot Clan.

That's my guess, anyway. A Shredder pretender with an army of soldiers taking on the Turtles, which the modern Shredder had a hand in creating.

That doesn't sound too bad, especially given the 2003 series had an alien Shredder. At least this one is from Earth, though not Japanese.

---

The designs are... eh, I'm split 50/50. Some of it works, some really doesn't.

One weird thing Will Arnett mentioned in an interview is that Vernon is Casey Jones's cousin. What!?

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 04:07:23 pm »
First off all, new Turtles movie already, suck, because they could have called it "Predators meets TNMT" and just have and do the same thing. That is what the trailer looked like "Woahh don't be afraid, do freak out, my face just look like pussy and all", and then she faints.

That is how it should have been.

Looking at the CGI, they make their face look like humans, who are European, and that is about it.
The bodies are also extra big. When I see the turtles face, I should just see an outline, not a real face. Also the US military invented the turtles? Where is the "Pizza time" or even the upping music?
We do not have that, just super serious crap.

Think that is bad, wait until you see the new Terminator, remake........

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 11:51:15 am »
I am only familiar with the 2003 cartoon series, which I actually liked.

However, I don't think TMNT is all that big in Europe, even in its heyday. I recall one guy in my class in Primary being obsessed (that's where I discovered the series), but I never saw it on TV, until ironically, in 2003 (I mean the OLD old series, which is named Teenage Mutant HERO Turtles).

Not sure if that brand name change effected its popularity, but I certainly didn't notice the TV series all that much, despite merchandise being pretty common.

Either way, I've not really been interested in the franchise since 2004 (the only series I did enjoy). Not watched any of the films (probably half of one of the old ones when it was on TV), although I heard some buzz regarding the 2012 reboot.

Anyway, sucks that "The Wind Rises" has a very limited film release in the UK, I would have watched that really, being a fan of Ghibli (although I am very critical on even their most well known films).

Godzilla....not sure about that one. I liked the 1998 release when I was young (my cousin watched that 3 times in the Cinema), but looking back now (or two years ago), it's not aged well (at least to me). May give that one a pass.

There's not really much I'm interested in really. Hollywood films tend to disappoint me these days.

47 Ronin was pretty good, but I felt that it shouldn't have been a Big Budget film. (forget if it's a 2014 release or not)

Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2014, 11:57:03 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfQzcYtY2-8

New Guardians of the Galaxy trailer coming this Monday, and apparently Latino Review's already seen it. (not linking to LR because I haven't read from them and I don't want to post possible spoilers)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2014, 01:54:07 pm »
Godzilla....not sure about that one. I liked the 1998 release when I was young (my cousin watched that 3 times in the Cinema), but looking back now (or two years ago), it's not aged well (at least to me). May give that one a pass.

Of all the Godzilla films you spoke about you picked the terrible American reboot that had nothing to do with what made Godzilla Godzilla?!?

Anyway guys, I watched Godzilla, it was like watching my childhood come alive again. You guys all better go and watch the damn film, BIGGEST OPENING OF 2014, THE KING IS BACK! FORZA GODZILLA! HE'S COMING FOR YOU CAPTAIN AMERICA!

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2014, 04:28:23 pm »
I watched Godzilla with my wife yesterday as well. Incredibly great film, full of nostalgia. They did a great job of modernizing these classic films without alienating their fans. The excitement never ended, from beginning to end.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2014, 08:11:09 am »
Of all the Godzilla films you spoke about you picked the terrible American reboot that had nothing to do with what made Godzilla Godzilla?!?

Hey man! I only JUST discovered there are MORE Godzilla films 2 years ago! Give me a break. ;____;

X-Men looks interesting though.

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2014, 06:44:20 pm »
Hey man! I only JUST discovered there are MORE Godzilla films 2 years ago! Give me a break. ;____;

X-Men looks interesting though.

Nameless, that's really sad.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2014, 08:22:33 am »
Not much to say...

I enjoyed the new Godzilla movie, but that trailer was just full of lies. Amazing Spiderman 2 is bad, no contest.

I have zero expectations for X-Men: Days of Future Past. So I'm just waiting till Malficent, TF4 and this new Ninja Turtles movie.

Guardians of the Galaxy looks pretty good, though. I have confidence in this project.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2014, 05:14:44 pm »

The tears describe the sadness pretty well!

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2014, 10:29:08 pm »
Here's the full Guardians of the Galaxy second trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LIQ2-PZBC8

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2014, 05:39:22 am »
I watched Godzilla with my wife yesterday as well. Incredibly great film, full of nostalgia. They did a great job of modernizing these classic films without alienating their fans. The excitement never ended, from beginning to end.

Ended up watching a second time and it's even better, I really do love every bit of Godzilla and I can't wait for the extended blu-ray edition, hopefully with Akira Takarada re-inserted!

Got to agree Nameless, your childhood being deprived of this is alarmingly depressing. I mean missing grewing up on a diet of Godzilla kicks?

Madness really.

Not much to say...

I enjoyed the new Godzilla movie, but that trailer was just full of lies.

This is so very true. I'm guessing after Pacific Rim bombed they had to have a very drastic change in marketing.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2014, 09:21:19 am »
Godzilla is good then? I heard he's only in the movie as a cameo for about ten minutes.

Also Raid 2: Berandal is the best movie evar.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2014, 10:56:51 am »
Godzilla is good then? I heard he's only in the movie as a cameo for about ten minutes.

Also Raid 2: Berandal is the best movie evar.

It's a great film, super jealous at Aki for being able to watch it again.

Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88