Author Topic: US soldier admits killing unarmed Afghans for sport  (Read 12153 times)

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
US soldier admits killing unarmed Afghans for sport
« on: March 25, 2011, 10:25:45 am »
Jeremy Morlock, 23, tells US military court he was part of a 'kill team' that faked combat situations to murder Afghan civilians

An American soldier has pleaded guilty to being part of a "kill team" who deliberately murdered Afghan civilians for sport last year.

The case has caused outraged headlines around the world. In a series of videotaped confessions to investigators, some of which have been broadcast on American television, Morlock detailed how he and other members of his Stryker brigade set up and faked combat situations so that they could kill civilians who posed no threat to them. Four other soldiers are still to come to trial over the incidents.

Some soldiers apparently kept body parts of their victims, including a skull, as souvenirs. In a statement issued in response to the publication of the photos the US army apologised to the families of the dead. "[The photos are] repugnant to us as human beings and contrary to the standards and values of the United States army," the statement said.

My first instinct was to say FUCK THE US ARMY, however it is the very army that is conducting the investigation.

But are they really to blame? Sure personal decisions can not be ignored, but a large portion of these so called soldiers are college drop outs and are basically stupid jocks.

Who are constantly fed voilent FPS shooters as part of their entertainment and that shit fucks with the mind.

I feel it is the White House's responsiblity and Bush who started this mess, and Obama who is continuing this by firing McCrystal (that's the name right) and continuing U.S. presence in Afghanistan. HERE.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: US soldier admits killing unarmed Afghans for sport
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 01:17:06 pm »
Cube, are you serious?

Look, I don't condone this man's actions alone, but you are being beyond ignorant. How can you say 'US soldiers are stupid jocks'? I know 5 people that have been to Iraq tours and they are nice guys. They wouldn't do this shit. A couple did it for health benefits for their kids and now are going to school. Where they jocks? No they had to get in shape to get in.

You can't just say 'A group of people are X', that is like me saying everyone from your country are terrorist, that is ignorant. Also, FPS games have been on the market for something like 10 years, you can't blame the 'playing of FPS' games on demented people. There are always people like this in history. Vietnam had some pretty fucked up shit, more so than stories out of Iraq and they didn't have Call of Duty to blame it on.

Fact is that crime has been declining in America since the 90's, yet FPS games are a record high. Blaming games is stupid.

_____

As for this story! This is a issue with America. I don't think the government truly gets it. I hope this guy gets whats coming to him and is set as an example. Will he? Probably will, but they have no issue taking on guys like Manning, who leaked stuff like this happening via Wikileaks. Telling the truth gets you more in trouble than murder in this country.

We have been policing the world too long. I wish this would start protests against the war, but it probably won't. Its funny being in this phony war for 8 years, bombing and doing shit like this and people still question why 9/11 happen.

Did anyone forget that two of our former presidents bombed their country multiple times? How would we feel if China bombed us every 4-5 years? Then put up bases in our country and told us how to behave and killed innocent people?

The problem with the world is we think of ourselves as "X person from X country" instead of 'people'. We all want the same thing in the end of the day.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 01:53:34 pm »
The Guardian, huh?

If this is indeed, true, then yes, we will be tried in a military court and either suffer the penalty of either imprisoment for life or be executed by a firing squad.

And yes, the army has the responsibility to investigate misconducts among it's ranks.

This feels reminiscent of the Haditha massacre, a planned massacre alledgedly commited by a group of US forces acting on their own, but was entirely debunked.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 03:15:14 pm »
I wouldn't go as far as to say that the US Army are jocks and drop outs but it seems it is far, far to easy to get into the US military and be dumb as dog shit.

My girlfriend took the US military test for school and according to her the questions were so easy that an 8 year old could answer them.

While it does make sense that the not so smart types make better meat for the grinder then the countries more intelligent people, when they are representing your country over seas it isn't the greatest idea.

Only the other day an American fighter plane crashed in Libya, the pilots survived and the Libyan people rescued them, but as the Libyans were saving the pilots an American rescue chopper showed up and shot at the civilians helping the pilots killing and injuring the people they are supposed to be protecting!... With out even a seconds thought.

If you act like that, yes people are going to hate you and think you're dumb as shit.
Made by SEGA

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 03:34:51 pm »
Quote from: "George"
Cube, are you serious?

Look, I don't condone this man's actions alone, but you are being beyond ignorant.

I said a large portion, maybe I should've said significant.

I study in a Naval institution myself. The boys and girls in my army were born and raised to be in the army from generations. Their Ancestors were even in the fucking army, they have it in their blood.

Apparently it is really common in the United States those who can't do much else, join the army. Not to say I've not met some impressive Army Personalities.

For Example: I had the oppurtunity to serve as Dr. Amin Tarzi's ADC and he most certainly had the love for the Army in his blood coming from a family of Army Men.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amin_Tarzi

Unfortunately in my interviews with American Army Personnel both here and in America. I've met a hell of a lot of people who were just grabbed and shoved in to the army without realising the responsibilty.

Offline George

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 03:55:15 pm »
It depends on the position you are going for in the military. There are computer engineers, writers, etc. Its not all shooting people.

Guys, learn before you post.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 09:40:05 pm »
Indeed.

I have a cousin who enlisted, he's an eletronics enginneer working in Communications and pretty darn good at it.

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 12:54:22 am »
Bad people can have any kind of job.  To blame their video games is idiotic.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 03:03:28 am »
Ofcourse it is idiotic if I said it is solely the videogames fault but it plays a role.

Nonetheless it is a psychological fact that seeing voilent things will make you voilent:
[youtube:fo7t3z3c]20LkYvEZOZs[/youtube:fo7t3z3c]
Tell me if it does not look like they are playing a videogame?

They feel no responsibility, they are indifferent to their actions. Our soldiers are trained, they know the dangers of using the weapons they have our army takes great care to preserve the soldiers humanity, they know the value of another life.

Where as I see US Army buying countless 360's with COD.

Look, I stayed in the starting it is the very army in question that is conducting these investigations. Obviously they have sound minded people in there, obviously higher post requires a higher degree of education.

But the difference is that our soldiers have had a life time of training, and even then they are shit scared of their entrance exam. So many students in my university where born to make it in the army but didn't, they go try every year and are rejected cause of our ridicoulously high standards. Where as American Army recruits 18 year olds and ships them to Afghanistan in no time.

It is a widely documented fact.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 11:16:14 am »
US Army experience store

http://www.army.mil/-news/2008/09/02/12 ... ladelphia/

PHILADELPHIA (Army News Service, Aug. 29, 2008) - The Army opened the Army Experience Center, a one-of-a-kind, 14,500-square-foot virtual educational facility Friday at the Franklin Mills Mall.

The AEC, central to the Army Experience Pilot Program, offers visitors the opportunity to virtually experience many aspects of Army life, while evaluating new marketing strategies.

Located near a popular entertainment facility and an indoor skate park, the AEC features a number of interactive simulations and online educational opportunities. It is manned by more than 20 Soldiers who are available to share their stories with visitors and answer questions they may have about the Army. Although the Soldiers who run the center are trained recruiters, the AEC is not a recruiting center, according to Ryan Hansen of Ignited Corporation, who partnered with the Army on the project.

"The center is an attraction tool. There is no recruiting mission here," Hansen said. "Here it is more about changing perceptions."

The gaming area lets visitors play America's Army, the Army's official computer game, as well as other games. There are a number of Xbox 360s plus networked PCs for video games.

The Tactical Operations Center highlights Army career opportunities in communications, command and control, military intelligence and technology. The area can also be used for group presentations and online education, Dillard said.

A large lounge area fills the middle of the AEC, and there is a small retail area that offers Army-branded merchandise and snacks for sale (the Army does not receive profits from sales).

The Army will run the Army Experience Center as a pilot program for up to two years, Walters said.

"We will be analyzing results of the various areas throughout that time, and determine if any of the innovations can be used as separate entities at other locations."

There are no plans to replicate the center in other markets at this time, Walters said.

"The Army is not all about boots and guns," Dillard said. "We want to give people the opportunity to experience the Army for themselves, so they have an understanding of what Soldiers do, and they can be proud of their service."

long article, just wanted to quote the part about videogames. theres more to read if you click that url

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 11:37:56 am »
I support cube on this one guys..

But it is a war out there. That's the main issue. No one should die for government issues..it boggles me.
SEG4GES

Offline George

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 06:57:11 pm »
No one in this thread supports the war, I highly object it. But I think Cube is wrong assuming everyone in the Army is jock that dropped out of collage or that video games played a rule with this accident or any other type of violence.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 01:45:05 am »
For the last time I never said everyone!

I said large portion, which I restated as significant portion?

If it wasn't significant this whole investigation wouldn't have STARTED!?

I also said it is the very Army in question, that are conducting this investigation, because there are obviously people in there that believe in the sanctity of human life that can not be taken for personal amusement!!!

Read my damn post again!

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 12:31:41 am »
It's still a sterotype that is totally ignorant.  I see military people on a daily basis, and they have the same level of diversity as the population in general.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 04:32:43 am »
It is only a Stereotype if I say all of them.

I will rephrase my claim one last time"

A significant percentage of the Army is eggheaded assholes, otherwise this investigation wouldn't have started.

There are people who have killed innocent civilians either for their innate bloodlust, desensitization towards humanity, violent entertainment induced behavior, or simply poor recruitment, this has happened it has a fact. The blood of innocent civilians is on the hands of US Goverment (as a whole).

Although lives have been saved the Aghan girl is a prominent example, democracy (or atleast a fraction of it) has returned to the stabilized cities (or city) of Afghanistan.

Bottom line is there are a significant amount of screwed up people in the US army but the opposition Al-Qaeda or whatever are also equally screwed up. But when soldiers kill innocent families, those who survive are screwed up so badly that they join the Al-Qaeda.

This is a widely documented fact, that several Americans acknowledge.