Author Topic: MacFarlane Finally Gets Go-Ahead To Reboot 'The Flintstones'  (Read 8444 times)

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Re: MacFarlane Finally Gets Go-Ahead To Reboot 'The Flintstones'
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 04:59:27 pm »
One thing I notice with a LOT of American live action shows, be it comedy or drama there is far to much of, how barry said 'snap, snap' everyone talks to fast, there is no realistic pauses between speech. It's hard to say exactly what I mean but it's something that often bothers me.

Family guy is, in my opinion the best of that guys cartoons, infact I find the others almost seem like bad immitations of Family Guy with less entertaining jokes.

Whilst I do know exactly what you mean about the flash back type stuff and celeb 'mocking' I find the way the writers can highlight social situations and you can relate to those kind of jokes really, really funny.

The Cleveland show is really, really bad... REALLY BAD.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »
Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 05:37:40 pm »
FOX also has two new toons joining the animation lineup: Napoleon Dynamite and this really weird (and pretty lame looking) one called Allen Gregory. Think Family Guy's Stewie going to grade school, but nothing is really that funny.
http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/how-j ... show-27469

Off topic: The Simpsons had a very funny video game related exchange last night:

Homer has to hand the controls of a blimp over to Bart

Homer: Bart, take the controls!

Bart: What video game is this like?!

Homer: Blimp Assassin 3!

Bart: For Wii or XBOX?

Homer: XBOX.

Bart: Original or 360?

Homer: Fly the blimp you spoiled kid!

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 07:01:04 pm »
^Napoleon Dynamite is getting a cartoon? Without a word of a lie, my first reaction was to violently slam my head through the gyprock wall i'm sitting next to.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 03:15:41 pm »
FOX is to animation as Sonic Team is to games.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 05:53:10 pm »
Quote from: "cube_b3"
Agree with Barry.

Well Said GEORGE!!! HARVEY BIRDMAN FOR THE WIN I NEED TO GET THE GAME.
It's really good if you're a fan of the series. Short, but sweet.

Offline ribbitking17

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 01:55:24 am »
The Flintstones are still a Hanna Barbera property (which may or may not have been complety absorbed into Warner Bros Animation im not sure) so i dont understand how Fox is making this show when Warner Bros have there own network.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 07:39:17 am »
Probably because the CW isn't the right network for animated series. They mostly succeed at reruns and teen dramas.

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 12:01:47 pm »
While under the Time Warner label, the correct holders of the Hanna Barbera properties are Cartoon Network. They have a somewhat hard time holding family audiences, so it makes sense that they would co-develop it with another network. FOX is normally the second highest rated station in America (first is normally CBS) and they already have a ton of deals with Cartoon Network's Adult Swim, so it looks like this all works out good.

My previous post was a joke, and I generally strongly dislike the man's work, but he does seem pretty passionate about this. It could turn out pretty cool if it has the right direction and good writers. John Kricfalusi's Jetsons and Yogi Bear are probably not the best examples, but I kind of like those more than the originals so... I will wait and see before I completely wright this off.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2011, 08:07:44 am »
Wierd thing about MacFarlane is that he has two sides: the lazy adult cartoon side which takes the same family formula started by The Simpsons, recasts it, and makes lazy pop culture jokes. The staging and animation is quite lazy too, though they very rarely make extra effort to so some great animated sequences (like Family Guy's Disney spoof) but those are usually farmed out to more competent animation teams.

Then his other side is the old Cartoon Network MacFarlane who wroekd on a number of great shows including Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab and Cow and Chicken.

So I'm hoping his far more creative Cartoon Network side has not died and is what is behind the Flintstones remake.

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2011, 02:25:14 pm »
His newer stuff is limited by his bad art. The characters shapes are too stiff and thick, making them hard to animate much outside of basic movements. The most exaggerated thing they can do with the characters is the swift body parts breaking thing that I am sure you all have seen a billion times in any one episode.

Assuming the art will be largely the same or very similar, The Flintstones has very good art direction and has more potential in almost every regard. The writers and producers just need to be there.

I mostly hope they do not play too much on current events like his other newer cartoons. In 50 years, no one will understand Family Guy because their random references will be lost with the general public. However, earlier episodes of The Flintstones are still enjoyable because they focus on common human relationships any one person has. When The Flintstones changed to fill the needs of people in the 70s and upwards it only kept people interested for so long, even people like me who really enjoy any kind of animation have a hard time watching those episodes, they just make no sense to people outside of the period.