Author Topic: The Need to Read - Topic about what books are we reading  (Read 6263 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
The Need to Read - Topic about what books are we reading
« on: July 03, 2014, 04:36:38 pm »
Basically what we've been reading lately.

Finished reading a couple of Dexter novels, the original source material. Some of them good, others not so much. The final novel is kinda weird and the ending is almost beat for beat the same as the ending of season 4 (the outcome, however, is different).

There is one novel that clearly I have bitten off more than I could chew: The Divine Comedy. OK, I bought the book of poems for cheap, but DAMN, it is long, it's very story heavy and it's very thick. When I pull back and look at the whole picture, this the most impressive visual representation of Hell and it's 9 circles. But my Lord, it's an ubber long story and I've been reading this since mid-2013 and I'm just at the end of Inferno.

There is still Purgatorio and Heaven. Oy...

I just want this journey to end so I can move on to Ender's Game which I've heard is one of the best sci-fi novels of all times.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
Re: The Need to Read - Topic about what books are we reading
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 10:01:23 pm »
i started this book a month or so ago. I should try getting back into it. It's pretty intense and informative at the same time.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 10:27:34 am »
Recently I've read;

Mother Night - Kurt Vonnegut
Absolutely brilliant book, and in Vonnegut's own words 'the only one whose moral he knows'. The constant recurring theme of imposters and deception is brilliant and it manages to be funny and dark in equal measure. I would have to say that Vonnegut is now my favourite author.

Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury

I didn't enjoy this as much as Mother Night, but it's still a fantastic book. I do love science fiction like this, and I think it did a fantastic job commentating on society. Still relevant today as it was 40 years ago.

Bridge over the River Kwai - Pierre Boulle
I really adored this story

Currently reading 'Cat's Cradle' - Kurt Vonnegut.

EDIT: Max - I read Ender's Game sometime last year, it's quite good, I think you'll enjoy it. If you like Sci-Fi you should also check out Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson and Dune by Frank Herbert.

I've also expanded on my read/reading list -EDIT2, Gotta fly will expand more later most liikely
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 04:23:57 pm by MadeManG74 »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 06:31:08 pm »
Before they are Hanged by Joe Abercrombie.

lydiaport

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 01:56:31 am »
thanks for sharing best post

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 01:38:13 am »
I'm trying to read The Odyssey right now. It's solid, it's not completely captivating but there's enough novelty (and cheese =P) to be mildly engrossing. I'm wishing I were reading The Metamorphosis instead though
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 12:05:53 pm »
I've read quite a bit since Cat's Cradle, let's see:

Kurt Vonnegut's Timequake
Road to Perdition
All Quiet on the Western Front
The Old Man and the Sea

Currently reading All the Pretty Horses.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 09:08:52 am »
It's Halloween, so I've been reading a lot of H.P. Lovecraft novels.

Call of Cthulhu, The Shadow over Innsmouth, The Thing on the Doorstep, At the Mountains of Madness, The Dunwich Horror, The Rats in the Walls, The Lurking Fear,etc. All good stuff. If you are into horror novels, I'd recommend any of these.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 12:19:29 pm »
It's Halloween, so I've been reading a lot of H.P. Lovecraft novels.

Call of Cthulhu, The Shadow over Innsmouth, The Thing on the Doorstep, At the Mountains of Madness, The Dunwich Horror, The Rats in the Walls, The Lurking Fear,etc. All good stuff. If you are into horror novels, I'd recommend any of these.

I'd be interested in checking out some of those, never read a horror book before. I heard Mountains of Madness is Guillermo del Toro's dream project too.

Offline Nathan Dunsmore

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 05:06:26 am »
Your Movie Sucks by Roger Ebert. He is dearly missed.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 05:48:04 am »
If manga can count, I've been trying to catch on Attack on Titan and am currently at volume 10.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 07:00:57 am »
Well, I finished reading Harley Quinn: Hot in the City, the new 52 version. This was the first digital comic book I've purchased and gotta say I'm now much more open to reading those things on a tablet.

Having said that, what the f*** did I just read? Is Harley Quinn the new Lobo / Deadpool of the DC Comics?

I have no experience with the character in the comics, save for Gotham City Sirens, an embarrassing entry in the DC Comics comic book lineup that had Catwoman, Harley and Ivy just being overly sexualized divas. This one, from what I could understand, is attempting to have Harley isolated into her little world by moving her into a new location (New York City), getting a new apartment and essentially a clean "slate" (cortesy of the Suicide Squad, maybe?). No Joker, new friends, some old ones (Poison Ivy) and a new direction.

After this fairly straightfoward setup, it's where the crazyness begins. Harley Quinn here seems to be more in tune with the Vigilante / Anti-Hero thing. She's more Lobo-ish by the way she deals with scumbags, hired hitmen and group therapy sessions (she works as a psychologist during the day time to pay for her the costs of her new apartment). She's almost Deadpool-ish thankd to her stuffed beaver that only Harley can hear it's voice and generally speaking, it's always making comments about how silly everything is.

This is a series of smaller story arcs that hint at a larger arc down the road, this book is basically the new Harley Quinn. One of my favorite storyline's is Harley's first day at being a shrink again where she decides to take matter into her own hands after hearing a sad story from an old lady, the twist reveal is bound to cause bursts of laughter.

There's a story arc that involves Harley eating one of Ivy's love potion berries and suddenly she has to hide in a shopping mall and fend out waves of intoxicated convicts.

There's a story about a wheelchair-bound aged Russian Spy that has Harley essentially murdering every single russian mob guy. Just insanity at it's zenith.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 08:28:08 am »
If we are talking about comics, I'm currently reading these series:
Drifter
Lazarus
Punisher
Southern Bastards
War Stories
East of West
God Hates Astronauts

And series that finished somewhat recently:
Pretty Deadly
Caliban

I also read volume 1 of Garth Ennis' War Stories (Johann's Tiger, Nightingale, Screaming Eagles and D-Day Dodgers), fantastic collection.

Southern Bastards is probably my favourite current ongoing.

I also just picked up Naked Lunch, but it's just... incomprehensible. I have taken a break from it for the time being.