Author Topic: McDonald's runs gay-friendly ad in France; "Come As You Are"  (Read 19913 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: McDonald's runs gay-friendly ad in France; "Come As You Are"
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 05:58:02 pm »
Quote from: "fluffymoochicken"
Thirdly... who's to say that this fictional character didn't come out of the closet after the commercial ended?

Because you don't discuss serious shit like that on a stomach full of McDonalds. The dashboard of the family mini-van would be a mess.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 06:53:31 pm »
Fluffy, I do not think you get the point. The fact the boy is keeping a secret is a bad thing. The video is about secrets, it is a scheme to make it seem like the company cares about gays when they do not.

If I made the video it would have been after the boy came out and it being the first time he got along with his father. This would have been much better and made McDonalds seem like a more comfortable place to come to. I made a better commercial in my head in five seconds and this is not my profession, it proves the commercial is not good.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 07:02:41 pm »
@barry, I know your joking but lets not get all 'gays are disgusting.' We banned kogen for a reason.

@Uranus, That is exactly why it isnt your professions. The twist is what makes the entire concept a good one. If it was just
'heres a gay guy getting on with his father.'
TBH thats just a bit weird and suggests that there SHOULD be something weird about getting on with your family post 'coming out.'

If you had watched the commercial with out knowing already that the kid is gay when the father says 'shame your school is an all boys one' you go...
"OH!..." and the whole situation changes.

Everyone likes a twist, even though the kid looks gay a mile off.
Made by SEGA

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 07:03:54 pm »
The commercial is saying that you can be gay at McD's cuz everyone there has a mouth full of beef.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2010, 07:04:46 pm »
^I think Barry was saying that the shock and stress from a situation like that after eating McDonalds would cause them to be sick, rather than anything about homosexuals being disgusting.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2010, 07:06:41 pm »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"
^I think Barry was saying that the shock and stress from a situation like that after eating McDonalds would cause them to be sick, rather than anything about homosexuals being disgusting.

Pretty much this is what I gathered from what Barry was saying too.

Offline fluffymoochicken

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2010, 07:51:44 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
it is a scheme to make it seem like the company cares about gays when they do not.
Duh? Well, thank you anyway for that obvious information. >_>

If I made the video it would have been after the boy came out and it being the first time he got along with his father. This would have been much better and made McDonalds seem like a more comfortable place to come to. I made a better commercial in my head in five seconds and this is not my profession, it proves the commercial is not good.
That sounds good to me, too. ^_^ But as I said, they wrote the commercial to have a surprise twist ending. (How would your idea make the McDonald's executives care more about gay people, anyway? They'd still only care about making money.)

And besides that, I'll say it again: The situation is relatable, especially if you're a gay teenager. Everyone keeps secrets from their parents at that age, and not just things that are sexuality related either. A lot of teenagers don't think that their parents would understand them. It's part of how they grow new independent lives outside of their families.

@barry, I know your joking but lets not get all 'gays are disgusting.' We banned kogen for a reason.
Thanks, Sharky. ^__^

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2010, 08:35:05 pm »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"

This.

Also, I'm done talking about these things. Not because I'm a bigot like Kogen, but because first and foremost I come here to talk Sega and clearly these sorts of topics don't lead to positive outcomes.

Offline George

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2010, 09:35:46 pm »
Really I'm tired of this 'political' correctness. Rampage Jackson, the UFC fighter, is getting bitched out by the media for saying acting is kinda gay. That it makes you soft due to people pampering you.

What is wrong with that? When was 'gay' anti homophobic? Before Gay was a term for homosexuals, it mean't happy. Over time it turned into a term for homosexuals, why can't that turn into 'stupid'?

/RANT

Offline Monkeroony

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2010, 07:14:59 am »
Wait why was Kogen banned?

I do not understand why people being gay is a huge issue, my friend Ollie came out late last year, it took him so long because he was so ashamed, in-fact he's 24 and his parents still don't know.

My only problem is the people that use their sexuality as their sole defining characteristic, I don't discuss my sexuality, because it's just that. Mine, it's no one elses business.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2010, 03:24:04 pm »
I guess I am just weird because when someone is talking on the phone mentioning love, I never assume genders.

Offline George

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2010, 05:07:44 pm »
Quote from: "Monkeroony"
Wait why was Kogen banned?
He was banned for 2 weeks due to warnings from Sharky. He could not wait so he started getting around the ban and I banned him forever. I don't like when people try to go around a ban. WTF is the point?

Offline JayC

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2010, 06:28:13 am »
Advertisements vary in the way how they are accepted by the viewers. This is good and it shows that all men should be accepted and respected in the society where we belong. But the only thing that the directors and the producers should think is there are still minors who watch the ad and it may cause them to do what has been watched and shown.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 10:15:58 pm by JayC »

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2010, 11:18:07 am »
It's because of stuff like this that France is the shitter.

lol jk

While homesexuality doesn't make sense to me, I respect it.
As such I really liked that commercial. It's simple, subtle and from fluffy's reaction I suppose it has a strong appeal for gay dudes.

It really has nothing to do with McDonalds. It just captures your attention and at the end makes you think about hamburgers.

When I read the title at first I was in full-rage mode. Reason: I first remembered Nirvana's song. That song has nothing to do with sexuality, and I get piss when people disvirtue the original meaning of songs/stories.

But it was a great commercial.

Also, gay-pride extremists are the ones giving "gay" a bad connotation, making it seem like it's the equivalent of calling your mother a cunt.
I've never seen "gay" being used offensively outside of elementary school. It has always a soft humorous connotation.

I don't see any problem of two homosexuals having a conversation and one of them saying "stop being so hetero.."

If I call something "gay" I'm being offensive, but by calling "hetero" I'm not? How gay.
SEG4GES