Author Topic: Gotham - TV Show - OT  (Read 4981 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Gotham - TV Show - OT
« on: September 24, 2014, 05:14:27 am »

So this new show just recentely started and if you haven't heard it's a Batman-related TV Show in which they explore the origin of Jim Gordon, a rookie Cop whose first major investigation is the death of two very prominent Gotham socialiates: Thomas and Martha Wayne. With only their son as the only surviving witness, Jim and his partner Bullock follow the leads that will take deep them into Gotham's criminal underworld in search of the truth.

Here are my first impressions on this pilot episode:

I was very much concerned about this TV series ever since it was announced and I'm midly upset that it did match my expectations. There are some good things about this pilot but they are so far and between.

---------------NO SPOILERS HERE----------------------

Jim Gordon does an OK job, the actor who plays Oswald Cobblepot was the big standout. The way they presented the whole Wayne family tragedy angle was questionable. Bullock was the generic partner that we've seen in a million cop shows already. A lot of winks and nods to future villains here and there. The way Gotham is presented is kinda strange in which I will go into spoilers. Alfred Pennyworth was the perhaps the oddest casting choice on the simple matter that I really need subtitles to understand anything he's saying!

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: Gotham - TV Show - OT
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 05:23:37 am »
Jim Gordon's wife's actress is no good.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 08:23:48 am »
I thought Gotham was quite good as a pilot. I was also impressed on how they weaved the future villains into the main narrative of the story without them overshadowing the story. The guy who played the Penguin was especially good. Also the scene where Gordon was chasing the suspect thru the kitchen was quite inventive on how the cut the camera techniques of him running after him to the main longshot/medium shot.
I think this series will overall be good once the season is finished and every episode is seen in the context of its seasonal arc.

Offline Deefy

• Total Meseta: 6
  • SupporterOfSEGA & F.C.Internazionale
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 11:32:39 am »
Here in Italy the show will start to be broadcast in October so we'll see just then (at least officially) as will be  ;)
SEGA STYLE

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 07:46:42 pm »
-------Spoilers------------

I saw the new episode today "Spirit of the Goat". A really good detective story. I didn't like the pilot episode, but I started to like it a lot after the second episode. I got a much better sense of where this series was heading. The most recent episodes where mostly about the mafia-related shenanigans, but this one had it's moments (episode 5. for example) had a very interesting proto-version of Bane, or rather the chemical that gives that villain his powers). Really good creepy atmosphere, a good story and an equally good twist. Harvey Bullock at it's best.

Just one little nitpick... We get it, Edward Nygma is going to be The Riddler. Obvious foreshadowing is obvious since it's common knowledge that Edward Nygma is The Riddler. Knock it of with the winks, already!

Offline George

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 09:21:34 pm »
I'm going to watch the new one and so far:

I don't know if I like it. Nothing big has happen and the tie-ins to the comics are starting to annoy me. Jim Gordon randomly going to Bruce's house for advice or whatever? Then Bruce not even hitting puberty and being a detective.

Like Max said, them putting it in your face that Nygma is going to be the Riddler. But you know what whats the issue with it?

They sold it as a show where you would follow a villain and watch them rise, but it really isn't. Its about Jim Gordon and cases he does. I think I might have liked it better if you followed 85% of the time The Penguin and watch as he starts to slowly pull strings to get what he wants.

Follow what turned him into this:

Aka don't fuck with the penguin.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 08:04:09 am »

Offline George

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 05:07:55 pm »
Well I saw the new episode, it was good. Not as edgy as thats what I call edgy.