Author Topic: Sonic Boom Thread  (Read 86720 times)

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Re: Sonic Boom Thread
« Reply #225 on: July 07, 2014, 01:47:22 pm »
Agree with Spiral Knights, seems like a prime candidate.

Only possible problem is the game would quickly fill up with young kids. (Which is fine) but it would probably suddenly fill up with creepy internet pedos too and then Sega may have to take precautions to protect children like Nintendo do, which leads to really bare bone chat limitations like preset phrases.
Made by SEGA

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #226 on: July 08, 2014, 07:43:31 am »
Agree with Spiral Knights, seems like a prime candidate.

Only possible problem is the game would quickly fill up with young kids. (Which is fine) but it would probably suddenly fill up with creepy internet pedos too and then Sega may have to take precautions to protect children like Nintendo do, which leads to really bare bone chat limitations like preset phrases.
That's probably happens anyway..you think PSO on DC was free of freaks? Anyway at least you know Rolf Harris won't be playing the game...

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #227 on: July 08, 2014, 01:03:43 pm »
Haha.
Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #228 on: July 09, 2014, 08:41:28 am »
George and I interviewed Roger last night, and it was a great discussion! Boom-wise, some cool stuff was learned. Roger is approaching Sonic as the same character, but he feels that Sonic has a lot more room to let his personality show. We also talk about Generations, Alton Towers, and his early work with SEGA on Valkyria Chronicles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66ABsC1IOG0

Offline ROJM

« Reply #229 on: July 09, 2014, 12:12:54 pm »
The scenario could be one of these..
 The game and show will be shit and flops...
The game flops but the show is actually good and gets another season..and becomes the best cgi show since Reboot...
Both the game and show becomes a hit..bigger than they anticipated...because it actually sells big in both america and japan..

Game and show proves popular...Delivers Segasammy's finance sheet quota so they can show the shareholders that they're still making decent profit....six months later Sega announces another unrelated sonic game and Sonic boom is never heard from again...Most likely scenario...

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #230 on: July 09, 2014, 12:58:30 pm »
My guess: Game is decent, but nowhere near what we expect from a Sonic game. The 3DS version ends up being better than the Wii U version. Future titles are unlikely.

TV show is fun in an Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog sort of way and ends up running for 2-3 seasons.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #231 on: July 13, 2014, 06:51:18 am »
My guess: Game is decent, but nowhere near what we expect from a Sonic game. The 3DS version ends up being better than the Wii U version. Future titles are unlikely.

TV show is fun in an Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog sort of way and ends up running for 2-3 seasons.
Well it sounds like you're excited about this new cartoon. Ive got mixed feelings about it, its good to see a Sonic cartoon made in the states/west again but at its current state i'm not sure if it will be anygood. I'm hoping it will be successful and hopefully prompt them to create more cartoons based on Sega ip but made in the states. But the mindset seems to be Sonic an sonic only. Like i said SPIRAL KNIGHTS would make a good cartoon.

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #232 on: July 13, 2014, 08:16:40 am »
its good to see a Sonic cartoon made in the states/west again...
But it's made in France. Which really isn't a bad thing cause those people are pretty darn good at this animation thing. :V

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #233 on: July 13, 2014, 10:06:56 am »
Well it sounds like you're excited about this new cartoon.

I've always been a fan of the characters in a fun lighthearted atmosphere. I think the OVA was the perfect balance - mix of humor and very cool action scenes. AoStH is my personal favorite, despite the fact that it never really featured cool action scenes. Still, the Quest for the Chaos Emeralds time travel arc is one of my favorite pieces of Sonic animation. The animation was surprisingly good, it had the right mix of jokes and action. I was never a fan of SatAM, the pacing was off and the attempts at humor were cringy. I also wasn't a fan of the dark atmosphere. It felt like C-grade Don Bluth storytelling.

Underground is just garbage, though I do watch it from time to time just to laugh at how bad it was. When David of Sonic Retro stayed at my place for TooManyGames we watched an episode and it was a fun time for all the wrong reasons.

Sonic X was just weird. Like, it was so close to being a SEGASONIC cartoon, and then they fuck it up with Chris and awful animation. And not funny awful like AoStH, but obvious mistakes. They did attempt to adapt several games, though the end results were nowhere near as good as they could have been.

With Sonic Boom the TV show, we have a rebooted world, so no fear of a quasi-attempt to adapt the games like Sonic X, and it is nowhere near as big a change as SatAM or Underground. In fact, I'd argue it is more in line with AoStH and the OVA in the sense that Sonic and Tails (from what we've seen) are just chilling out and fighting Eggman. Eggman doesn't appear to be in control of the world like SatAM, he seems to be more in line with the games as a threat but not some super villain. My only concern is Knuckles, I'm hoping he is still guardian of the Chaos Emerald and that we see Angel Island. I'd be okay if he stumbles upon this role over the course of the show.

Also, the 11 minute length allows for stories that don't overstay their welcome. Most AoStH episodes could have easily been 11 minutes.

Anyway, consider me as cautiously optimistic, borderline excited for the show. As for the games, the Wii U one really hasn't impressed me yet, but I'm looking forward to the 3DS version which appears to have more replay value and length than Generations and Lost World 3DS.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #234 on: July 14, 2014, 06:19:45 am »
I've always been a fan of the characters in a fun lighthearted atmosphere. I think the OVA was the perfect balance - mix of humor and very cool action scenes. AoStH is my personal favorite, despite the fact that it never really featured cool action scenes. Still, the Quest for the Chaos Emeralds time travel arc is one of my favorite pieces of Sonic animation. The animation was surprisingly good, it had the right mix of jokes and action. I was never a fan of SatAM, the pacing was off and the attempts at humor were cringy. I also wasn't a fan of the dark atmosphere. It felt like C-grade Don Bluth storytelling.

Underground is just garbage, though I do watch it from time to time just to laugh at how bad it was. When David of Sonic Retro stayed at my place for TooManyGames we watched an episode and it was a fun time for all the wrong reasons.

Sonic X was just weird. Like, it was so close to being a SEGASONIC cartoon, and then they fuck it up with Chris and awful animation. And not funny awful like AoStH, but obvious mistakes. They did attempt to adapt several games, though the end results were nowhere near as good as they could have been.

With Sonic Boom the TV show, we have a rebooted world, so no fear of a quasi-attempt to adapt the games like Sonic X, and it is nowhere near as big a change as SatAM or Underground. In fact, I'd argue it is more in line with AoStH and the OVA in the sense that Sonic and Tails (from what we've seen) are just chilling out and fighting Eggman. Eggman doesn't appear to be in control of the world like SatAM, he seems to be more in line with the games as a threat but not some super villain. My only concern is Knuckles, I'm hoping he is still guardian of the Chaos Emerald and that we see Angel Island. I'd be okay if he stumbles upon this role over the course of the show.

Also, the 11 minute length allows for stories that don't overstay their welcome. Most AoStH episodes could have easily been 11 minutes.

Anyway, consider me as cautiously optimistic, borderline excited for the show. As for the games, the Wii U one really hasn't impressed me yet, but I'm looking forward to the 3DS version which appears to have more replay value and length than Generations and Lost World 3DS.

I collect a lot of Sega products and for Sega anime and cartoon stuff its quite good to see how SONIC has progressed as a media character from the various shows from America and Japan. In that regard SONIC BOOM will make a perfect fit in that collection once it comes to DVD. Funny its going to be quite a good couple of years as well Sega media related when two Sega themed movies will be coming out in the shape of Sonic and Console wars as well as some of he obscure Sega japan anime stuff. I however not holding my breath on whether SB is going to be good or bad at this point its best just to wait and see if it fits your tastes and you personally enjoy it.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #235 on: July 15, 2014, 03:23:43 am »
Here's some news..

Sonic the Hedgehog still running fast for Sega...from Fortune magazine

http://fortune.com/2014/07/09/sonic-the-hedgehog-sega/