Author Topic: Capcom is allowing "Hostile Takeover" Buyout  (Read 81657 times)

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
Capcom is allowing "Hostile Takeover" Buyout
« on: June 17, 2014, 02:04:59 pm »
Apparently, Capcom is open to buyout via majority share.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/17/capcom-now-open-to-buyout

Sega's been strategically buying up studios/publishers. Do you think they'd go for this?

Offline Mariano

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Segarion
    • Funnoticias
Re: Capcom is allowing "Hostile Takeover" Buyout
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 04:14:46 pm »
Probably, but lets not forget that Capcom is not really in bankrupt, they dont desesperate need someome to buy them. Lets wait and see, this is a common thing in the industry.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 04:27:06 pm »
Probably, but lets not forget that Capcom is not really in bankrupt, they dont desesperate need someome to buy them. Lets wait and see, this is a common thing in the industry.
That's the first time I hear that. What are the chances capcom gets sold/bought?

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 04:50:16 pm »
Was this because of that thing, the shareholders recently voting to disallow countermeasures to large scale share purchase by an entity? What interests me about this is that what it might be able to tell me about the way the video game industry (or businesses that go public in general?) work. You have to wonder what the internal consensus at Capcom was in response to the shareholder action. It sort of astonishes me that a game company works like this, allowing a major decision that might change the company to be made by shareholders. But I guess that's how votes work and this can't be the first business to go through major changes in responses to shareholder actions. Such an alien operation to me.

Anyway, I don't think another game company will buy majority share if the buyout happens. IIRC they don't have the largest money reserves, but a decent amount. Sega will not make a move here, anyway.

The whole Yoshinori Ono thing, from what I understand, is just him being done with overseeing work on Dead Rising 3 or something and helping to set up shop Capcom Vancouver. Some people think that Capcom Canada is gonna get trashed, I don't know. However, if Yoshinori Ono leaves and/or Deep Down fails, I feel like company is one step away from "abandon ship." They may have Takumi (Ace Attorney) and Itsuno (Dragon's Dogma, Devil May Cry 4) and whoever does Monster Hunter, but another misfire is going to put the place in panic.
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline Mariano

• Segarion
    • Funnoticias
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 05:59:59 pm »
we dont know if SEGA-Sammy is going to make a move or not, we will have to wait and see, i believe they have the money to do it, but many companies have, the plot is why buy them. And about the chances of be bought or not is not acctualy "be bought" is more be the mayor shareholder. Even you can now buy them if you have the money.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 01:51:48 pm »
It used to be my dream that Sega and Capcom would merge back in the Dreamcast days. I don't think Sega-Sammy would go for this honestly, too big of a move and too soon after Atlas... But I would love it if they did.
Made by SEGA

Offline SuperWentley

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 03:11:37 am »
I don't think Sega-Sammy would go for this honestly, too big of a move and too soon after Atlas

Yeah, I'm still waiting on some weird Sega/Atlus mashup or Sonic and Sega All-stars 3 with Atlus Characters. Maybe  Shin Megami Tensei with Sonic or something IDK. No clue.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 09:43:29 am »

If they're not bankrupt they soon will be which is the point of this option. Capcom has been in trouble for years and its not the first time many anyalists have speculated that they would fall down..its just taken longer than they have predicted...

It used to be my dream that Sega and Capcom would merge back in the Dreamcast days. I don't think Sega-Sammy would go for this honestly, too big of a move and too soon after Atlas... But I would love it if they did.

When Sammy officially took over Sega, Satomi said that was the aim of the new company was to buy out or merge with big and small companies and studios. he's kept his word on that since he has either been buying shares in companies like Sanyo, buying most of the panchinko companies that rival Sammy or helping Sega west buy out companies like Sports Interactive and Relic. And now Atlus. I can't see Sega not trying to get them but so would everyone else as Capcom still have valuable properties. This wouldn't be a walkover like Atlus was, Sega would defiantly be in a real war if it came down to bidding or buying out shares. When you think we were all bemoaning the merger it seems Sega is more secure compared to a lot of other companies that didn't do a merger and the merged video game companies are the ones buying up the smaller ones.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 09:48:34 am »
Anyway this report removes all doubt...

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/jun/29/4741-capcoms-board-approved-renewal-takeover-defense-counter-measures-capcom-expected-re-propose-plan-next-years-general-meet/

Postponed to next year. Which MAY mean between the lines that they probably have a buyer in place already and they are sorting out the deal. The fact that the head of the company has put half of his money into wine is another sign he's not planning to be sticking around either. Capcom is in trouble and its going to be taken over....SEGA!!!

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 11:17:40 am »
Too bad that in this point in time it would just be one shit company merging with another shit company to form a massive shit company that can ruin franchises twice as fast as they could before.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 12:17:47 pm »
Too bad that in this point in time it would just be one shit company merging with another shit company to form a massive shit company that can ruin franchises twice as fast as they could before.

I need to ask Will for a new forum label, because that "SEGA FAN" does not apply anymore.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 12:21:14 pm »
OK Sega obviously isn't a popular option to take Capcom with you lot. I'm thinking on a selfish level of course if they were to do it. I could imagine a Sega vs Capcom game happening rather than just being a fantasy. And of course if Platinum and Sega were ever to work together properly again and capcom was part of the company.....

Offline Mariano

• Segarion
    • Funnoticias
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 01:24:12 pm »
I need to ask Will for a new forum label, because that "SEGA FAN" does not apply anymore.

agree...

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 01:57:21 pm »

I don't know, it's not really the quality levels that is the problem at SEGA, the issue is localising their titles and trying to make them successful for me. In the first 6 months of this year we've seen 5 Japanese titles released by SEGA Japan and only one title by SEGA West. There's irony in this too, we will be seeing SEGA Japan release more SEGA West games (2) in Japan than SEGA Japan games in the West (1) this year.

Even if SEGA takes control of Capcom though, I'd imagine they'd do the same as they did with Atlus which is basically let them do what they want.

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 07:09:01 pm »
I don't know, it's not really the quality levels that is the problem at SEGA, the issue is localising their titles and trying to make them successful for me. In the first 6 months of this year we've seen 5 Japanese titles released by SEGA Japan and only one title by SEGA West. There's irony in this too, we will be seeing SEGA Japan release more SEGA West games (2) in Japan than SEGA Japan games in the West (1) this year.

Even if SEGA takes control of Capcom though, I'd imagine they'd do the same as they did with Atlus which is basically let them do what they want.
And maybe a possible 2D SEGA vs. Capcom game. *cough*wishful thinking*cough*

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site