Author Topic: Capcom is allowing "Hostile Takeover" Buyout  (Read 83253 times)

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
Re: Capcom is allowing "Hostile Takeover" Buyout
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 07:35:49 pm »
Capcom has been dead since the PS2,GCN,X-box days.

Ever seen that scene with Bambi trying to wake his mother up, or the dumb dog who was put to sleep because he was in love, the exploding horse, the mad woman who loved Kyles Brother. That is what Capcom is in a nutshell.

Capcom was beautiful. Capcom was love. It is over, Capcom. It is over. Their is no love.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 07:39:09 pm by RegalSin »

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 05:55:36 am »
I don't know, it's not really the quality levels that is the problem at SEGA, the issue is localising their titles and trying to make them successful for me. In the first 6 months of this year we've seen 5 Japanese titles released by SEGA Japan and only one title by SEGA West. There's irony in this too, we will be seeing SEGA Japan release more SEGA West games (2) in Japan than SEGA Japan games in the West (1) this year.

Even if SEGA takes control of Capcom though, I'd imagine they'd do the same as they did with Atlus which is basically let them do what they want.
Up to a point. If this were to happen than this is Sammy's directive not Sega's. And they won't leave Capcom alone. The Atlus situation is different.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 05:59:09 am »
Capcom has been dead since the PS2,GCN,X-box days.

Ever seen that scene with Bambi trying to wake his mother up, or the dumb dog who was put to sleep because he was in love, the exploding horse, the mad woman who loved Kyles Brother. That is what Capcom is in a nutshell.

Capcom was beautiful. Capcom was love. It is over, Capcom. It is over. Their is no love.

Nah they died when Sega abandoned consoles. It didn't matter if you had a Saturn or DC or any other "dead" Sega machine, you could count on Capcom to make a game for it that would take it to the limit. Once Sega left competitive gaming, Capcom in my opinion fire went out. You can pinpoint the downward trend from there while there has been good bursts of games now and then since then, they didn't have anyone to play off with like they did when sega was around.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2014, 09:09:09 am »
I need to ask Will for a new forum label, because that "SEGA FAN" does not apply anymore.

I forgot to add, I don't think it's fair to attack Mang on who is or is not a SEGA fan. SEGA has such a varied history (And at the end of the day is just a company) that people might love one part of the company but have no affinity for another part or era. I can definitely understand the sentiment Mang is coming from but I don't doubt how much he likes the Virtua Fighter series, the Yakuza series, the SEGA consoles etc. I myself am resigned that we have probably seen the best of SEGA, gaming too, behind us after 2012 but c'est la vie, I had good fun whilst it lasted.

At the end of the day no matter what, even if SEGA falls into oblivion, they've made more than enough to grant them a lasting legacy with all of us.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2014, 10:00:36 am »
Basically what Aki-at said. I don't mind getting a new label on the forum, I've said many times I'm not a fan of Sega as they are now. I used to be a fan of Sega, and I am a fan of some of their development teams (AM2, Nagoshi's mob) and IPs (Virtua Fighter is still my favourite game for example) but overall? They may as well be EA or Activision for all they actually do good anymore.

Not to mention I stand by my comment, what has Capcom done recently that's worth getting excited about? Look at their fighting games, the only good ones to be released in recent years are re-releases and that's because they let Iron Galaxy do everything (original arcade graphics and settings, GGPO online) compared to Capcom's own efforts which are considered the worst fighting games on the market just about (SFIV being a game of option-selects and gimmicks, and Sleep Fighter X Tekken a nap being one of the poorest fighting games in memory). They've run Resident Evil into the toilet, RE6 being the single biggest dissapointment in gaming history for me. Dead Rising 3 looked horrible as well, although I haven't played it so I can't comment too much.

Sega itself, as Aki said, isn't too bad on quality (although, Sonic Boom?), but their release schedule is so sparse it's pathetic.

EDIT: In response to everyone's dream crossover fighting game from the two, which would be the sweetest peach to come from this possibility, who would actually handle it? Capcom's fighting games have fallen a lot recently, the best we could hope for is probably Marvel vs Capcom 3 tier, which I could live with, but it's still a horrendously broken game.

Sega could try to implement it, but unless it's AM2 taking on developing duties, I worry how it would turn out. More likely they would outsource it to Sumo or something and we'd get Sonic & Buddies vs Street Fighter and it'll be a line for line ripoff of Smash Brothers with 12 Sonic Characters, Pai from VF and one of the characters from Gain Ground because "We know what the hardcore fans of Sega's fighting games wanted from a Sega fighter *winks*"
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 10:03:51 am by MadeManG74 »

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2014, 01:08:24 pm »
Too bad that in this point in time it would just be one shit company merging with another shit company to form a massive shit company that can ruin franchises twice as fast as they could before.

Neither company are as good as they were in the Dreamcast era, neither are shit... They both still develop and publish great games from time to time.
Made by SEGA

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2014, 02:23:20 pm »
You could expand this to all of the major third parties, really. Why not Square? Star Ocean, Mana and SaGa fans pissed. Why not Bandai Namco? etc. Konami - Castlevania, Suikoden?

It was just a better time for Japanese-made games in the past. Now it's not the same, for reasons that were partially covered in another topic we had here (that I can't remember the name of.) It's a complex, mammoth situation. Sure in the past generation we've had some great things like Valkyria Chronicles. But the way management seems to understand markets nowadays has changed, and more Western games are much more profitable. And there's the major cultural shift in Japan too, to social gaming.

Fewer games are being made all around by the way. So nix what I said - it might even have been a more hospitable time for the entire gaming industry in the past, say what you will about the type of output.
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2014, 02:48:14 pm »
Sorry, I was referring to the past when Mademan said himself that he is not a SEGA fan. Just bein' snarky, not attacking the guy. <3 you mademan!

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2014, 08:29:29 am »
If Capcom wanted to, they could have released Omusha/Warlords, and whatever games they had going on the Playstation 2, on the Dreamcast. It was a devastating hit for Capcom, and their is no point in looking at them,

Yes they have tons of vs games out their but, the crowd is gone. It was all about the Street Fighter II, series and Capcom, never really left past that. When X-men vs StreetFighter came out, they never really made anything that topped that at all. THe recent 360 vs game is dead now? That is it, Capcom is finished.

Megaman creator is trying to leave them. RE creator is trying to leave them ( even wanted to commit samurai suicide, after being told that RE4 was going to be ported ). If I am correct, I think the only person that is left is the Street FIghter people??? Capcom is gone, people. Not going to come back anytime soon.

If Capcom wanted to make me happy, I want to see Rival Schools 3, on the Dreamcast. Same story, same action, more characters. That is it. No future bs, no product placement. Just auwsomeness Capcom was last, on the PSX.

Whatever happen to Omusha? or whatever PS2 creativity? Where was Capcom when we needed awesomeness?

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2014, 09:07:33 am »
You could expand this to all of the major third parties, really. Why not Square? Star Ocean, Mana and SaGa fans pissed. Why not Bandai Namco? etc. Konami - Castlevania, Suikoden?

It was just a better time for Japanese-made games in the past. Now it's not the same, for reasons that were partially covered in another topic we had here (that I can't remember the name of.) It's a complex, mammoth situation. Sure in the past generation we've had some great things like Valkyria Chronicles. But the way management seems to understand markets nowadays has changed, and more Western games are much more profitable. And there's the major cultural shift in Japan too, to social gaming.

Fewer games are being made all around by the way. So nix what I said - it might even have been a more hospitable time for the entire gaming industry in the past, say what you will about the type of output.
I'm not saying that every other company out there is far better, barring CD Projekt Red I'm not particularly impressed with many out there. It's just that Sega and Capcom seem to be better at turning their franchises to dirt than actually pleasing the fans nowadays. Even CoH2 has been turned on by most of the old game's fans if you want to extend it to their new acquisitions.

Sorry, I was referring to the past when Mademan said himself that he is not a SEGA fan. Just bein' snarky, not attacking the guy. <3 you mademan!

Love you too Barrington (no homo)

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2014, 10:17:21 am »
Enix = a company that publish other peoples games like Tri-Ace = Star Ocean
Squaresoft = Final Fantasy gravy train.
Basically people are pissed off at Squaresoft but not Enix.

Namco = greedy corperation that started out, as publishers like Enix but they also got greedy with Tales. Tales = Star Ocean and NOT AN NAMCO PRODUCT.

Bandai = nobody cares about them at all, unless your in Japan. They made those little handhelds. Anything else????

Konami = Gutless bastards who killed off HudsonSoft, only after Hudson refused with porting of the Castlevania PCE version. Konami has Castlevania and that is why nobody cares. However people are upset about Ninja Gaiden but then again, Nobody cares, and so forth DOA.

People are upset over Capcom because they made the greatest looking 2d games. They made Resident Evil. They made Megaman. They perfected 3d fighting games with Rival Schools. Then they through all of that down the drain, and left us with cheap shot, and lame thtills we could never understand at all. First with the Capcom Five, being canceled and then with the porting of RE4, and finally add-on fighting games, and re-releases.

Capcom fanbase is not even alive anymore. They are retired from the games. The noobies, do not even get it. If Capcom made Rockman Dash III, how many people are going to run to an new sysyem????

Offline ROJM

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2014, 11:13:52 am »
I'm not saying that every other company out there is far better, barring CD Projekt Red I'm not particularly impressed with many out there. It's just that Sega and Capcom seem to be better at turning their franchises to dirt than actually pleasing the fans nowadays. Even CoH2 has been turned on by most of the old game's fans if you want to extend it to their new acquisitions.

Love you too Barrington (no homo)
I think that's an over exageration MM. The truth is that Sega is selling their games to a new audience and they're not catering to the older audience. That's what's happened, its been happening for a while but now its become obvious. When social gaming games are outselling package games 10 to 1 on the Sega side of things then its not rocket science to which direction that Sega will go with.
None of the franchises that i was use to as a teen are the same now. PHANTASY STAR is not the same(i'm one of the few detracters of PSO even if it was a milestone) SHINING FORCE isn't the same and neither is SONIC. All these games have transitioned towards a new younger audience. The golden eggs have remained unchanged and newer Sega DNA titles are few and far between. It may not be the same of what we want but Sega doesn't care they have a audience that are buying these titles up whether we like it or not.
But i'll be hardpressed to say what games apart from Sonic has been ran to the ground. If anything most Sega games haven't been updated for years and some for over a decade. Its hardly the same as Capcom who regularly updates some of their key franchises.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2014, 12:19:33 pm »
^I can dig that they are chasing the money, that's fine, but it still means I'm not a fan of what they are.

I doubt fans of mobile games and the other 'new fanbase' are actually just buying into whatever fad is big that month.

With the sheer amount of things being released any given time in mobile/social games it feels like that industry is more of a lottery than anything. Either your game randomly becomes a flavour of the month fad (Flappy Bird for example) or it wallows in obscurity forever (99.999% of everything on the market).

Offline ROJM

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2014, 12:29:21 pm »
^I can dig that they are chasing the money, that's fine, but it still means I'm not a fan of what they are.

I doubt fans of mobile games and the other 'new fanbase' are actually just buying into whatever fad is big that month.

With the sheer amount of things being released any given time in mobile/social games it feels like that industry is more of a lottery than anything. Either your game randomly becomes a flavour of the month fad (Flappy Bird for example) or it wallows in obscurity forever (99.999% of everything on the market).

Yes but the games i'm talking about whether on console or digital have managed to build up a userbase of fans that will buy into this stuff. That's been proven time and again with a lot of these digital sega games in japan. Its not how it is here where that description does fit to a degree. in japan many of these games have some brand recognition and have various sequels. Even the Sega ones. 

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2014, 02:44:45 pm »
Just remember that videogames in Japan are not only in the same market. If they are popular, they are corverted in multimedia franchises, for example PSO2.

Without counting games, much of the publicity comes from merchandising and other formats.

That's why an userbase of fans is going to buy all the stuff from that game even if only are minor things and digital games. That's a part of the plan.

I know that this can alienate some older fans of Sega but even the company tried to pleased them. Mostly all those digital re-releases and all the JP focus franchises like Yakuza and Phantasy  Star published in the West didn't sell well or the expected. So, they cut the lines and focus in what they sell well. Really, the only title that sells well as a digital re-release is Adventure 2 (4 times in a row in the Top 10 PSN/XBLA).

Now, with all the things going so well so far, they make those digital games based on franchises that many people played before like Crazy Taxi, Monkey Ball, Virtua Tennis, etc. Yes, they are made "on the cheap" but at least is something and many are free. So , if you donĀ“t like it, you can uninstalled from your phone.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 02:48:04 pm by Nirmugen »