Author Topic: What are you playing, stupid?  (Read 698892 times)

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: What are you playing, stupid?
« Reply #2550 on: July 02, 2015, 04:45:32 pm »
Sonic 4 Episode 1

Felt like replaying it and I've now managed to unlock everything again. Still think it's pretty good. The only parts I don't like are the special stages (too many bumpers!!) and that last attack from Robotnik where you've sort of got to jump and attack him before the floor gives way. That, was cheap. Still good fun though and I'm planning on playing episode 2 soon. I'm kind of itching to go back and replay some more Sonic too, but that will have to wait till I've finished my next game.

Anna's Quest

It only came out today and I'm finding it really good. It's a point 'n' click adventure game set in a fairy tale like universe. The story so far has been simple, but solid and the puzzles aren't going into that horrible area of ill logic and tedious "grab everything and try anything" that so many others fall into. Sure, puzzles have slowed me down, but it's not been frustrating or down to bad design. I've slowed down, done a bit of exploration, found something and the makings of the puzzle start to emerge - leaving you with the fun task of putting it together.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 05:01:40 pm by Tad »

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #2551 on: July 02, 2015, 10:01:03 pm »
I've been trying to install Final Fantasy XIV the last few days. Apparently maintenance was in the way, and I've probably used up a quarter of my free trial just trying to download it. I'm not even that into MMO's or Final Fantasy (the only games I've invested any worthwhile time into have been Final Fantasy IX and Chocobo's Dungeon 2), but my friend has been really into it and got me interested. Hope it's worth all this pain.

Also started playing the GBA remake of Super Mario World. Never really played the game up until now, and man has it made me realize just how bad I am at old games. My ass is grass and the game is mowing it. Really good remake though, I picked it up just on the inclusion of the original Mario Bros. Arcade games make the best handheld games, in my opinion.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #2552 on: July 05, 2015, 09:10:56 am »
I've been trying to install Final Fantasy XIV the last few days. Apparently maintenance was in the way, and I've probably used up a quarter of my free trial just trying to download it. I'm not even that into MMO's or Final Fantasy (the only games I've invested any worthwhile time into have been Final Fantasy IX and Chocobo's Dungeon 2), but my friend has been really into it and got me interested. Hope it's worth all this pain.

I just picked it up in May. It's my first MMO, but I'm really enjoying it so far. If you're on the Jenova server, I can help you out with any questions or leveling up faster. There's a lot to the game. I'm still learning about new features on a regular basis.

Offline Tad

« Reply #2553 on: July 07, 2015, 07:10:10 am »
Finished Anna's Quest, replays of Sonic 4 Episode 1 and 2.

Anna's Quest was brilliant. The puzzles were fun, the story ties itself up very well and the characters all had a good conclusion. I highly recommend this.

Sonic 4

Overall, still enjoyable and fun despite some issues here and there. Episode 2 improved on a lot of things ep 1 got wrong in my opinion. Physics, special stages, bosses and tails. The level design in 2 felt a bit more tedious however and I think that hindered the overall experience.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #2554 on: July 07, 2015, 07:57:21 am »
I got the good ending in Arkham Knight a few days ago, and I'm just working on the Platinum trophy now.
I should be able to pull it off. All I have to do is finish up the AR challenges, do 15 moves in one combo, and beat the new game plus.

Offline Tad

« Reply #2555 on: July 09, 2015, 01:36:21 am »
Replay: Sonic the hedgehog 1

Plays just as I remembered. The foundations of a great series were still a little rough and some of the zones had some questionable level design and cheap placement of enemies. The special stages in this were far better than Sonic 4 Episode 1 as I felt I had better control due to Sonic 1 not dumping bumpers anywhere and everywhere.

Sonic 2

This is my first fully completed play on this and my god how did anyone get that far without a save feature back in the day? The games extremely long and some of the boss fights require pin point accuracy or it'll count as a hit against sonic. Again, some questionable level design in places and annoying enemies, but overall a far better experience. The special stages are more of a memory test and worked okay. You can see a lot of improvements from Sonic 1. Sonic controlled better in 2, more memorable zones and I particularly enjoyed the clever boss fight where you had to jumo up arrows to reach Robotnik. I just can't believe they expected people to get that far with no save feature, but it was a different time I guess.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 01:38:46 am by Tad »

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2556 on: July 09, 2015, 08:58:52 am »
You've got to remember that you weren't necessarily expected to beat the game your first time through. Part of the joy of the old games like that were that you got a bit further each time you played. The first time you might lose all your lives by Level 3. Then next time you get better and know how to play, so you get to Level 5. Next time you find extra lives, die less often, and you get to level 8. So on until you finish the game.

The game isn't really that long by today's standards, but no save feature meant that you replayed and got better, getting further each time.

Some of my fondest gaming memories were playing Sonic 1 and 2 with my dad and we'd get further each time. Each new level felt like a real achievement because 'Wow, we've never been this far in the game before!' and if we died, we'd be starting over again the next time.

Offline Tad

« Reply #2557 on: July 09, 2015, 10:41:22 am »
Yeah, I can see what you mean. I think it would still hold its replay value even with the save feature mind. Thanks to the level select, you can play certain levels for time attack, hidden paths etc and people still do.

It's probably just my tastes. I was very young when these games were released and I only played games every now and then. It wasn't intill I played Broken Sword on the PS1 did I really start getting into them. The story, characters and visuals just had me hooked back then.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 10:59:11 am by Tad »

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2558 on: July 09, 2015, 10:56:12 am »
Sonic 3 introduced a Save Feature, although I do feel that was probably because the game was intended to be massive (Sonic 3+Knuckles).

And the idea of needing to start over still applied if you lost all your lives.

Offline Tad

« Reply #2559 on: July 09, 2015, 10:59:45 am »
Oh, goodie. That's next on my list of games to play :)

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2560 on: July 09, 2015, 11:06:28 am »
Oh, goodie. That's next on my list of games to play :)

How are you playing? Are you going to combine Sonic 3 +Knuckles?

Offline Tad

« Reply #2561 on: July 09, 2015, 11:10:27 am »
I'm playing through the PC version from the Mega Drive classics collection. That calls it Sonic & Knuckles 3?

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2562 on: July 09, 2015, 11:22:14 am »
I'm playing through the PC version from the Mega Drive classics collection. That calls it Sonic & Knuckles 3?
This one?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/71162/

You should be good to go :)
It looks like this is the 'full' intended Sonic 3 + Knuckles experience.

Offline Tad

« Reply #2563 on: July 09, 2015, 12:11:55 pm »
That's the one. Cheers. :)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #2564 on: July 10, 2015, 08:11:13 am »
Splinter Cell Blacklist

I'm gonna finish that embassy stage! One way or another. Rounds 16,17, 18 are doable now that I've figured out that taking the offense is the best strategy. But round 19 is ubber tough.

Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae

An indie game that I got for dirt cheap at Gog.com. It's OK, an arena hack& slash game in which you fight waves of monsters and then beat the boss. Good production values considering it's budget.