Author Topic: The Amazing 2012 Movie Discussion Rises: An Unexpected Journey  (Read 51840 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: The Amazing 2012 Movie Discussion Rises: An Unexpected Journey
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 08:08:35 am »
Regarding Superman Returns, this article does a good job of summing up why the movie failed (despite me and others enjoying it) http://coronacomingattractions.com/news/why-did-superman-returns-fail-romanticism-and-religious-allegory-says-bryan-singer

From what I've seen of "Superman: Man of Steel", they've really gone off in a different direction, which is great! I'd hate to see a reboot that is still to close to the originals *cough*Spider-man*cough*

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 01:03:42 pm »
This is my hope for the new movies. I don't know the plot of the new one, but imo this is the best

Superman - Enemy: Lex Luthor. A great start, obviously.
Superman II: - Lex Luthor, Commander Zod
Superman III: - Doomsday/Death

That is if you are going the releastic route, I still think that a 'Doomsday' could be pulled off as gritty and realistic. I mean, Batman Dark Knight pulled it off with Joker and Scarecrow.

Commander Zod already has a perfect actor.

IMO, I think the death of Superman in comics was mishandled. Basically if I had to write the death and return of an iconic hero i'd make their Resurrection 'costly'. If you read the Superman aftermath, after his death, it was the 'Supermen'. Aka nonsense. Then for no reason he comes back from sleep. Fuck that. I wish they showed that its not just "Dude, I died.... not!" its a journey, sacrifice to bring someone back. The impossible made possible.

The problem with doing a Superman movie is that most of the character is his powers and those powers that were once unique and 'super cool' are not dated and overused. Lots of characters have Superman like powers. I think that makes Superman a 'hallow' character to most.

I sure hope none of the movie studios play the death/Resurrection with shit reason card.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 02:50:10 pm »
Does anyone think Darkseid would be a good villain for a Superman movie?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 03:21:07 pm »
Bizarro Superman would make for a really fucked up and funny movie.

Offline George

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 05:14:09 pm »
Does anyone think Darkseid would be a good villain for a Superman movie?
Thanos's DC Comic brother.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 05:26:39 pm »
Ghost Rider gets a sequel, but Daredevil and Superman Returns do not? :(

At least the latter two were decent to good, Ghost Rider was crap.

No no no, I don't want a sequel to Daredevil! Same reason I don't want a sequel to Punisher. I want the rights to revert back to Marvel so that they can reboot the series with more accuracy and then make a glorious kick ass crossover movie based on 'Means and Ends'.

Offline George

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 06:22:27 pm »
Wha?They are 'working' on a Daredevil reboot over at 20th Century Fox. Well, they have been for two years, its probably dead. But last I heard Brad Caleb Kane (Fringe) was writing and Director David Slade (Twilight Eclipse and Hard Candy).

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 06:23:00 pm »
max_cady mentioned John Carter and I agree with him how little excitement there is for such a big film. For those of you who don't know John Carter is actually an adaption of "A Princess of Mars" by Edgar Rice Borroughs. (The guy who created Tarzan) I find it funny that Disney felt the need to change the title. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline Chaosmaster8753

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 06:56:34 pm »
Thanos's DC Comic brother.

What exactly do they have in common?

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 07:00:13 pm »
Well they are both nihilists and they are both really powerful antagonists. They also have a somewhat similar design.
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2012, 03:31:12 am »
I have this suspision that they didn't use the name "John Carter from Mars", probably because of similarities between the name and another Disney movie that bombed pretty hard, Mars needs Moms, a 200 million dollars animated film that barely grossed more than 20 million dolars.

Speaking of Ghost Rider 2, here's a clip from the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3CRnWAIVdY

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 07:09:26 am »
That has to be chopped up for a trailer right? That music and that editing... holy shit it's bad.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, 08:46:58 am »
max_cady mentioned John Carter and I agree with him how little excitement there is for such a big film. For those of you who don't know John Carter is actually an adaption of "A Princess of Mars" by Edgar Rice Borroughs. (The guy who created Tarzan) I find it funny that Disney felt the need to change the title. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

It's probably the same reason they changed the name of The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn to just The Adventures of Tintin in North America.  I think it's just them covering their asses if the movie tanks and they don't make another one. Or, they just assume audiences are dumb, and can't remember a title that long.

Offline George

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2012, 03:28:06 pm »
Or that anything with the word Unicorn will make guys think the movie is gay. Though really, doesn't need the extra long title. The Adventures of Tin Tin is good enough.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2012, 03:52:01 pm »
I missed the subtitle to Tintin, but I think dropping it made complete sense.

In the US, Tintin is unfortunately pretty unknown. So to push a movie titled "The Adventures of Tintin", thats enough of a title. Had they added "The Secret of the Unicorn", audiences would just get confused. They'd probably think it features actual unicorns and young boys would be turned off from the title. Nobody knows of the book by the same title. I actually think "Red Rachkam's Treasure" would have been a far better subtitle. Sounds cooler.

Still, the sequel will surely have a subtitle, I have my fingers crossed for "Prisoners of the Sun". It sounds really cool AND is a good story.