Author Topic: Sonic 25th Anniversary - Offical Topic.  (Read 236867 times)

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Re: Sonic 25th Anniversary - Offical Topic.
« Reply #165 on: February 12, 2016, 08:44:43 am »
Sonic Adventure 3 would be a huge mistake... I really hope they never do it.
I loved Sonic Adventure back then, but I was also 13 when it came out... It didn't age well. Very little of the entire game played like a Sonic game, the biggest mistake of all, and the Sonic bits were not as well made as they are today.

Imo the only thing salvageable from Sonic Adventure is the Chao Garden which I would love to return.
Made by SEGA

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #166 on: February 12, 2016, 08:53:15 am »
Sonic Adventure 3 would be a huge mistake... I really hope they never do it.
I loved Sonic Adventure back then, but I was also 13 when it came out... It didn't age well. Very little of the entire game played like a Sonic game, the biggest mistake of all, and the Sonic bits were not as well made as they are today.

Imo the only thing salvageable from Sonic Adventure is the Chao Garden which I would love to return.
I don't see why they would release Sonic Adventure 3 with game design from 1998. I don't believe that's what fans want.
SEG4GES

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #167 on: February 12, 2016, 09:11:52 am »
Then why make 'Sonic Adventure 3' at all? What DO they want from it?
Made by SEGA

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #168 on: February 12, 2016, 09:30:32 am »
Then why make 'Sonic Adventure 3' at all? What DO they want from it?

Sonic Adventure 3 can mean a range of things, I mean look at how much difference there is between Adventure 1 and Adventure 2.

In terms of tone, even though both indicated massive genocide, Adventure 1 tried to skim around the sides of things that did occur whilst still retaining its family friendly tone, Adventure 2 did not.

Sonic Adventure came with a hub world,   this idea was expanded in Unleashed but I wish they could go one further. Put Sonic's friends as some of the hub characters, Choatix crew gives Sonic missions, buy stuff from Cream and her mother, Blaze can give you hints etc. It's not essential but I do think a hub world can add to the experience just depends how it's done. But this was something dropped entirely in Adventure 2.

Even the music is totally different between the two. Really it depends on what Sonic Adventure that people wants, I don't want us to get the bad things from Adventure 1 (ie Big, Amy etc) but there are some good things in Adventure 1 that they could expand on further.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #169 on: February 12, 2016, 09:37:39 am »
The best kind of hub worlds let you play with the games engine without time constraints. Outside of Sonic, the best example I can give is JSRF where you could skate around the GG's hangout and perfect your moves. It was like a little playground, I loved it.

Sonic games have had this idea, but they never take it as far as they could. Sonic Jam is probably the best example. Just a fun 3D world where you can hop on springs and run about, though the move set and gimmicks didn't really exist given it was just a way to access historical materials. Sonic Unleashed had some hubs where you could grind a rail or play around on some platforms. Sonic Generations had everything in 2D, and it wasn't really a playground. More like simple challenges to reach stage entrances.

Funny enough, the best example I can give is the Zelda stage in Sonic Lost World. That open field and all those little gimmicks and challenges were great fun. It could have used a little more variety and objects, but it was the closest we've come to something like Sonic Jam in a modern game. I would love something like this expanded and presented as a hub world in a future game. 

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #170 on: February 12, 2016, 10:04:28 am »
Everytime I hear noise about a possible sonic adventure follow up, I do kind of feel excitement within from the idea. The idea isnt actually that bad. The adventure formula was only bad because of the execution of some characters. But why couldnt something like it have allround interesting gameplay? I just love the wholistic experience  the first adventure offered. Everything felt so organic and connected.

The actual concern from me comes from whether Sonicteam is capable of doing more than what they've become good at. Usually when they do things outside of their comfort zone it goes wrong.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #171 on: February 12, 2016, 10:17:24 am »
The adventure formula was only ba
It wasn't.
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #172 on: February 12, 2016, 10:54:28 am »
The adventure formula worked in my opinion. Sonic Adventure was the ideal launch game as it showed off just about every Dreamcast feature. When Sonic Adventure 2 released, the Dreamcast was established so they had to streamline the formula and drop some of the game features or improve them. I'd say SA2 did a fine job in improving things. I really liked the Pulp Fiction sort of story structure, it was really cool seeing different sides of a story told out of order.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #173 on: February 12, 2016, 12:36:49 pm »
Guys have you lost your minds?

Do you really want to see treasure hunting come back?  Or shooting?  If it truly is SA3, it better be in name only.

PS the stories were completely awful. SA1's was less so but do we really need a story of genocide being the backbone of a Sonic Narrative?

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #174 on: February 12, 2016, 01:26:50 pm »
Guys have you lost your minds?

Do you really want to see treasure hunting come back?  Or shooting?  If it truly is SA3, it better be in name only.

PS the stories were completely awful. SA1's was less so but do we really need a story of genocide being the backbone of a Sonic Narrative?

I don't think anyone here suggested bringing back treasure hunting or shooting (Maybe Crack?) The core aspect people want back is the hubworld from the previous few posts as well as multiple characters and I don't see anything wrong with that depending entirely on execution. And as my post indicated, what IS Sonic Adventure 3? Sonic Adventure 1 and Sonic Adventure 2 have some major differences.

And it wasn't about the stories, it was just about the tone of the games. Sonic Adventure is still pretty light hearted despite what the story is about, Sonic Adventure 2 is constantly dark and sinister and it effects every part of the game because of it. I'd rather we get what we saw in Sonic Adventure back (Which is the same mood something like Sonic OVA had) than have something like Sonic Heroes or Sonic: Lost World.

Offline Kuronoa

• Total Meseta: 3
    • Segalization
« Reply #175 on: February 12, 2016, 04:54:45 pm »
I'll be that guy and say I liked the treasure hunting as much as the speed stages.  It helped Knuckles/Rouge was fun to climb and glide around.
I would like to see the levels have a bit of that kind of structure sometimes.  At least if Knuckles/Tails is playable it would cater to their abilities.

I also liked the shooting when Gamma did it, without the time attack aspect they fell apart to me in Adventure 2.

I don't mind seeing an Adventure 3, but its expectations are too much and its formula was already dismantled and explored in Unleashed/06 in some way.

Sonic Adventure came with a hub world,   this idea was expanded in Unleashed but I wish they could go one further. Put Sonic's friends as some of the hub characters, Choatix crew gives Sonic missions, buy stuff from Cream and her mother, Blaze can give you hints etc. It's not essential but I do think a hub world can add to the experience just depends how it's done. But this was something dropped entirely in Adventure 2.

It would be nice, I like seeing them around.  I am still rather torn about the way the fanbase can be short-fused about any character.  I don't think most of them deserve their hate.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #176 on: February 13, 2016, 01:53:33 am »
I don't see why they would release Sonic Adventure 3 with game design from 1998. I don't believe that's what fans want.

I do . I think its the best Sonic game ever made, Sonic Team completely nailed the adventure part the game Hub modes, even the music made one feel like you on a Globe trotting adventure. Windy Valley and Speed Highway are the best Sonic levels I've played in 3D, only camera and tech issues hurt the game .

That said I would also love to see a time travailing Sonic game like in Sonic CD, that would be cool and it was great feature and design of Sonic CD and don't mind more of Colours or Generations as they were class Sonic games .
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #177 on: February 13, 2016, 03:00:36 am »
IMO the Gameplay of SA series was fun and the hub world idea can be fun, but conceptually, I think it's the worst of all Sonic games. I hate the mixing Sonic with "real world" human environments.

I think the Genesis titles had the perfect blend of the unleashed/lost world style cartoony-ness mixed with just enough darkness. I mean Sonic 3 has you witnessing a firebombing of an island forest, all in just the very first act. Having Sonic talk and interact with humans just breaks that mystique down. I know it's hard for them to go back to that, but Generations kind of acknowledged it with Classic Sonic never talking.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #178 on: February 13, 2016, 12:04:24 pm »
I'd be happy with an Adventure styled game, but they'd need to make adjustments as others have mentioned. And a story that is actually er...decent. Nothing incredible, just solid.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #179 on: February 13, 2016, 01:26:12 pm »
IMO the Gameplay of SA series was fun and the hub world idea can be fun, but conceptually, I think it's the worst of all Sonic games. I hate the mixing Sonic with "real world" human environments.

I think the Genesis titles had the perfect blend of the unleashed/lost world style cartoony-ness mixed with just enough darkness. I mean Sonic 3 has you witnessing a firebombing of an island forest, all in just the very first act. Having Sonic talk and interact with humans just breaks that mystique down. I know it's hard for them to go back to that, but Generations kind of acknowledged it with Classic Sonic never talking.

I agree, I always thought the humans of Sonic's world lived in equally fantastical cities as the world Sonic and his friends lived in and I always thought humans like this suited the Sonic series fine. What we got after just didn't mix well with the designs of Sonic and crew.