Author Topic: When Freeware is better than the Paid Stuff...  (Read 9986 times)

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
Re: When Freeware is better than the Paid Stuff...
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 01:06:53 am »
Actually if you bought the hardware components separately for the mac pro, it would cost more than buying the computer.  But it's total overkill unless you're editing 4K video.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 11:55:18 am »
Actually if you bought the hardware components separately for the mac pro, it would cost more than buying the computer.  But it's total overkill unless you're editing 4K video.

You're right about it costing more trying to build it on your own. That actually surprised me. I went on newegg and started looking up components. Doesn't cost a ton more but it does core more. I guess Apple's pro products don't take advantage of people. I find that highly surprising. Though, like you said, the average person doesn't need that much power, that's an insane amount of power. $1000 server CPU and two professional GPU's each at $700.

Anyways. I've decided I'm going to try installing linux in a Virtual Machine and use that for web development related things. that way I still got easy access to the adobe programs I need to use, but can make my stuff on the OS that all servers use (Linux!) and take advantage of terminal tools that work best on Linux.

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 01:08:31 am »
I think the idea that Apple takes advantage of people at all is a stereotype people use to feel better about not buying apple stuff... Like the console wars. 

Mac OSX 10.9 Mavericks is free, and we put it on 4 computers.  The last time I bought Windows 8 it cost $250.00 for one license.  People should just buy whatever they are happy and comfortable with. 

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2014, 06:18:02 am »
I'm going to have to side with Photoshop. Then again, I'm a graphic designer and I do a lot more than just editing photos. I also use InDesign and Illustrator.

*High Fives*

Hmmmm....I can't think any I use really. I guess Photobucket? I used to use Imageshack but that's behind a paywall and it restricted how large a file can be, not on Photobucket (at least so far), and you can edit IN it unlike Imageshack.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 01:56:59 pm »
Best image hosting site by far: www.imgur.com

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 10:18:15 pm »
I think the idea that Apple takes advantage of people at all is a stereotype people use to feel better about not buying apple stuff... Like the console wars. 

Mac OSX 10.9 Mavericks is free, and we put it on 4 computers.  The last time I bought Windows 8 it cost $250.00 for one license.  People should just buy whatever they are happy and comfortable with. 

It's not a stereotype, most of their products have a massive profit margin. Which, if you have the money to buy all that, then more power to you. I see though that they realize they can't get away with ripping off professionals, because professionals are too knowledgeable about their field.

the money it costs to get an imac or mac mini, if you use that same money amount of money to build a PC, you will get a much more powerful machine.

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2014, 10:04:32 am »
I like most OS. I don't favor any one in particular. Just thought I'd mention that. If I had the money to buy a Mac then I would probably have one in front of me right now. I like the OS, just not the cost of entry.

My main OS right now is Windows 8, I've used Linux in the past. I would like to switch to Linux if it supported all the programs I needed to use and had better driver support.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2014, 12:37:00 pm »
Same.

If gaming was linux driven then I'd go linux and would never look back. Here's hoping Steam drives it that way by decades end.

My work forces me to use OSx. OSx is the must frustrating of the three to use by far. The be fair though, I haven't upgraded to Maverick yet.