Author Topic: Sonic Boom Discussion Thread (TV, Games, and Everything Else)  (Read 53048 times)

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
Re: Sonic Boom Discussion Thread (TV, Games, and Everything Else)
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2014, 10:25:00 am »
just saw more footage of the game

look at your own risk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSaxZHPZo38

those framerate issues

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2014, 11:33:46 am »
Cutscenes are actually pretty nice. The chopiness may be worse because of co op. Other than that, looks as bad as usual. The game is coming out tomorrow.. where are the reviews?

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2014, 01:21:46 pm »
Cutscenes are actually pretty nice. The chopiness may be worse because of co op. Other than that, looks as bad as usual. The game is coming out tomorrow.. where are the reviews?

here is your first review

https://twitter.com/RaqibMarvelous/status/531519182081646593

looks like SEGA sent Sonic LPers/youtubers review copies but not the press. Destructoid said them and many they know never got review copies. I guess we know why now. I guess SEGA was hoping the extreme Sonic fans would think the game was good and spread good press.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2014, 04:39:59 pm »
Listening to those two douchebags on the lets play chat verbal diarrhea is making the game even worse and it loooks pretty damn shit....
Made by SEGA

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2014, 05:47:19 pm »
I genuinely believe not many Sonic fans was looking forward to Boom, it was like looking forward to Sonic Labyrinth or Tails' Sky Patrol (If it was ever released over here.) back in the day.

Okay that does a bit of disservice to Sky Patrol, I think that game has better QA testing than this ever got. On the bright side mainline Sonic game next year! Let's hope they learned their lessons from Lost World and built closer to the classic Sonic/more open world modern Sonic in Sonic Generations.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2014, 05:59:17 pm »
You know what is unbelievable about this game? It's Sega of America's PR department that literally took all that flack a few years ago from releasing their shitty Sonic 4 Episode 1... There was so much to learn from the amount of shit they got and it looks like they learned absolutely fuck all.

I swear they looked back at all the shitty stuff and bad ideas from the past decade of Sonic and cherry picked every last bit of shit nobody likes and crammed it into this game... It's like Sonic Heroes mixed with the werehog except even worse! Why was nobody excited about this game? Because they have removed everything that anyone ever liked about Sonic...

It doesn't have the same storyline, it doesn't have any real Sonic gameplay, it doesn't have the Sonic music people love it! Doesn't even have the same character models people have come to love... It's basically NOT a Sonic game, it's Jak and Dexter where someones modded in character models that look vaguely like Sonic characters...

BLAM THIS SHIT!
Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2014, 06:01:26 pm »
It was neither a main series title or made by Sonic Team. Heck, even I wasn't looking forward to the Wii U release, and I don't mean that in a negative way. I knew it wasn't trying to be a Sonic game, so I treated it as such. Looked more akin to PS2 era platformers which I've enjoyed but don't play too often.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2014, 06:11:40 pm »
I'm still surprised they took this route, it's like they have no concept of how to make a Sonic game...
Made by SEGA

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2014, 06:22:18 pm »
Well it wasn't intended to be a Sonic game, but their take on Sonic.

But if the series doesn't pick up high ratings (I am dubious due to the 7am time slot.) and if the video game is a big failure as it seems like it will end up being, this is going to have some negative effects on SEGA America's long term goals in trying to generate a new pillar.

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2014, 06:38:23 pm »
Why is almost everything that SEGA America is in charge of always end up so bad?

Could make a huge list but there is the 3 major ones:
1) Golden Axe Beast Rider
2) Iron Man
3) Aliens Colonial Marines

and now Sonic Boom. Does SEGA America really think people are that dumb that they can trick people into buying subpar products? Sure seems like it seeing how they do the same thing over and over again and don't seem to learn from it. Then people wonder why when SEGA Sammy restructures that SEGA America is always affected the most. In fact, SEGA Sammy said in their most recent financial report that they might restructure again if business doesn't improve.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2014, 06:43:18 pm »
Stuff like this is why I cant appreciate SEGA as much as I used to. What a horrible thing to do. Random thought: Maybe this is why aaron webber left.Edit: Nah that's childish, but I still do kind of wonder why he left though
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 06:46:46 pm by CrazyT »

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2014, 06:49:44 pm »
Stuff like this is why I cant appreciate SEGA as much as I used to. What a horrible thing to do. Random thought: Maybe this is why aaron webber left.

Oh come on, I dislike Sonic Boom as much as the next person but... Really?

Remember we had Sonic R, Sonic Labyrinth and Sonic Blast when Sonic was good? This just happens to be one of the disadvantage for different branches having some form of anatomy from the primary branch. It has it's downsides for sure (Sonic Boom and Sonic Rivals.) and it's upsides (The SEGA Racing series.) you can't expect a winner every time.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2014, 06:51:26 pm »
Well Sega of America have Relic now and that's a good start... But they need to stop outsourcing franchises to shitty developers. Its like they dont know when to cancel any project that looks shit.
Made by SEGA

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2014, 08:35:19 pm »
Oh come on, I dislike Sonic Boom as much as the next person but... Really?

Remember we had Sonic R, Sonic Labyrinth and Sonic Blast when Sonic was good? This just happens to be one of the disadvantage for different branches having some form of anatomy from the primary branch. It has it's downsides for sure (Sonic Boom and Sonic Rivals.) and it's upsides (The SEGA Racing series.) you can't expect a winner every time.
I mean like you said, next to the crappy ones,  there were good ones coming out as well. Usually during the same span of time and on different platforms. Sonic labyrinth and sonic blast were more like exceptions because there was still sonic 1,2, chaos and triple trouble to make up for those crap game gear games. Now sonic R and onwards I can agree on.

I cant take that sentiment of lesser appreciation for SEGA away. For me personally it'd take something phenomenal to get back my attention... or a public apology for sonic 4. They would have to acknowledge that game being one of the worst decisions ever. I wouldnt be surprised if Iizuka and Jun senoue were still proud about what they made.... holy shit man. What the hell is wrong with these guys

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2014, 08:47:48 pm »
Just got done watching the first two Episodes of Sonic Boom on youtube. I quite liked it. I really like what they did with Eggman in the second episode. Couldn't stop laughing.

Well Sega of America have Relic now and that's a good start... But they need to stop outsourcing franchises to shitty developers. Its like they dont know when to cancel any project that looks shit.

That is true. They do have Relic now. and Three Rings.