Author Topic: Yakuza 0: Is this the one?  (Read 9379 times)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Yakuza 0: Is this the one?
« on: January 20, 2017, 11:02:27 pm »
 Yakuza 0 looks to me like a return to form with kazuma as  the main character again. I liked all the other characters but come on, we all love Kiryu the most right? He's such a great character compared to the others and this may have been the reason why yakuza 5 lost me so soon.

Is this the game that's going to bring the franchise back on the map in the west? Are you getting the game?
 Not sure how many of you have a PS4, but to me this may be the SEGA game system seller.

Edit: Just saw the review posted on youtube so might as well put it here as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH3JJOxoaBQ

« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 07:25:03 am by CrazyT »

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: Yakuza 0: Is this the one?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 12:07:56 am »
Might just be me, but I've always felt the Yakuza series was kind of ignored in the west. Sure, it had it's fans, but it never seemed to get mentioned as a big title with Gears, uncharted etc come E3.

This one on the otherhand seems to have gained far more attraction in the industry, so you could be right.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 01:58:37 am »
Already pre-ordered my brother, Tuesday can't come soon enough.

Honestly though, Akiyama's my fav in the series, but I wouldn't be surprised if 5 is the last time we see him. It would be hard for him to top that sort of ending. Kiryu is definitely the man though.

This series is underrated if anything (which is crazy to say). I think "Dead Souls" left a bad taste in people's mouth. Still a great game, would have nothing to complain about if the controls were more "standard 3rd person".

That same mentality of getting a core fanbase of a game and then switching the genre is what has me worried about the new Valkyria game. I hoping it doesn't tank the fanbase the same way, just because it wasn't EXACTLY like the older games.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 07:10:19 am »

. How long has it been we've had a new great OG SEGA game(not Atlus)?

Binary Domain for me . Looking forward to this , but it's hardly a AAA next gen from SEGA .
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 09:55:10 am »
Binary Domain for me . Looking forward to this , but it's hardly a AAA next gen from SEGA .
Now that I think about it, for me it's since sonic racing transformed. Kind of unbelievable that we've had so few big titles in almost 5 years. Man I really hope this'll change soon

Might just be me, but I've always felt the Yakuza series was kind of ignored in the west. Sure, it had it's fans, but it never seemed to get mentioned as a big title with Gears, uncharted etc come E3.

This one on the otherhand seems to have gained far more attraction in the industry, so you could be right.
True yeah. First game got marketed to the wrong crowd too. But I think what really hurt(s) the franchise is people losing interest in the middle of any of the other games and feeling like they have to finish it first before going to the next, but then never getting to it (or something like that). Yakuza 0 seems perfect for this crowd. I can just forget about 5 and go to 0 without worries i'm assuming.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 10:20:33 am by CrazyT »

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 11:23:45 am »
Now that I think about it, for me it's since sonic racing transformed. Kind of unbelievable that we've had so few big titles in almost 5 years..

I think it hard to give that to SEGA as the game was developed by Sumo not SEGA . The last console game that wowed me and was that that 'OMG SEGA is the best' 'Nobody else can do this' moment was Binary Doman .

Hoping for big stuff from the new Sonic game and hopefully a new game from the Yakuza team
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 10:45:15 pm »
Yeah, this is the one.
Yakuza 0 is the best Yakuza game ever.
Better than Kiwami and 6, since Kiwami and 6 lacks Majima's charm of Yakuza 0.

Here some Yakuza de-motivational pic for you

Offline Shun-Di

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 11:04:34 pm »
Yakuza is great because it's really Japanese and crazy over the top.  It just works based on it's setting and premise.  Yakuza is to Japan what GTA is to the west.  The reason why it's not as popular in the west may be just because of that.  It's very Japanese.  I love it, but I can totally see how it would turn people in the west off at first glance.  Also the people making them really do give a crap, at least in the case of 0 moreso than 6 like the above comment ^.  Sega knows and understands their own Japanese gamer audience.  That is why I think they should pass off their games that appeal to western gamers to western fans and developers.  I mean fans that make games who are super passionate, of course.  We don't need another Sonic Boom.  Imagine a new Comix Zone like that.
Be like water.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 03:02:57 am »
  Yakuza is to Japan what GTA is to the west.  The reason why it's not as popular in the west may be just because of that. 

I think in Japan GTA V has sold better than Yakuza 0 or 6.  It's now some sort of myth that FPS or GTA doesn't sell in Japan anymore, times have changed. The trouble for Yakuza in the West is other than SEGA PR and the games very Japanese setting, is its still really a Japanese RPG when all is said and done. One can't progress unless you meet certain objectives and people, you still have random battles and leveling up, just in very realistic 3D (that's not knocking the game). Also what doesn't help the series is to play one Yakuza game is to have played most of them; They mostly look the same, feature most of the same locations and animation and mini-games Ect and what really doesn't help is the 1st hour of Yakuza games is cut scene after cutscene, some of which goes on for ages , when so many people just want to get into the action straight way, and its the early part of games that either grab you or put you off.

Also sometimes games just don't get a break, Yakuza 1 and II should have million sellers in the West alone, but then you have dross like Pokemon (very Japanese too) and hardly any difference with each new game. Slling millions in the West alone. I just can't work it out sometimes   
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 03:13:38 am by Team Andromeda »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 03:23:50 am »
The only other game I've played in the Yakuza series, was actually the first one, way back in the PS2 era. With that somewhat decent dub featuring Michael Madson and Mark Hamill. It was a lotta fun. But ever since I popped Yakuza 0 on my PS4 it has stayed there for quite some time.
Because it's just that damn good and I'm only 7 chapters in.

Getting the obvious out of the way, the visuals are kinda dated. Apart from Kazuma and the key characters, I'm basically walking around in a city populated by PS2 characters. But other than that, yes, the game world both Goro Majima and Kazuma Kiryu is somewhat small and feels very samey. But they managed to make up for it with so much in this with restaurants, side stories (some of 'em are pretty long), so many mini-games and side distraction that make Shenmue's side activies feel meager by comparison. Combat is ubber satisfying, but the enemies only seem to get larger health bars, 'cause outside I normally fight the assortment of 3 or 4 bad guys and I can destroy 'em easily at this point. Apart from the Mr. Shakedown, most NPC don't offer much of a challenge, but watching those Heat Actions make up for a lot.

This game also drives home the point that Goro Majima is by far, the most interesting character in this package, he's strange in that, he is clearly damaged, a little insane even, but ever so often, has this very warn, very friendly personality. But he can abruptly switch back and forth between these personalities. Kazuma's story is compelling, but apart from the origin of the infamous white suit, he doesn't seem to have much character development here.

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 05:42:12 pm »
I think in Japan GTA V has sold better than Yakuza 0 or 6.  It's now some sort of myth that FPS or GTA doesn't sell in Japan anymore, times have changed. The trouble for Yakuza in the West is other than SEGA PR and the games very Japanese setting, is its still really a Japanese RPG when all is said and done. One can't progress unless you meet certain objectives and people, you still have random battles and leveling up, just in very realistic 3D (that's not knocking the game). Also what doesn't help the series is to play one Yakuza game is to have played most of them; They mostly look the same, feature most of the same locations and animation and mini-games Ect and what really doesn't help is the 1st hour of Yakuza games is cut scene after cutscene, some of which goes on for ages , when so many people just want to get into the action straight way, and its the early part of games that either grab you or put you off.

Also sometimes games just don't get a break, Yakuza 1 and II should have million sellers in the West alone, but then you have dross like Pokemon (very Japanese too) and hardly any difference with each new game. Slling millions in the West alone. I just can't work it out sometimes   

Well if we're comparing it to Pokemon, Pokemon although starting off only in Japan was made appealing to everyone around the world thanks to the 4kids anime dub and several other dubs from other countries as well as bringing the games over.  The games also didn't scare people away too much with hardcore rpg mechanics.  yeah you had to earn better pokemon by catching them and training them to evolve ect.  But it was appealing.  Trading was fun too as well as battling each other.  Pokemon was a worldwide phenominon.  Yakuza is about the Yakuza, the Japanese mafia.  Not quite as appealing to anyone outside Japan, especially with how xenophobic Some American gamers are and how Japan likes to make games now that cater to only their own audience.  Hell i get made fun of all the time by people in real life for liking Kingdom Hearts, even with the disney characters.  If it's something too japanese or anime for them, they can't understand what's so great about it.  But like you said, stereotypes exists.  Japan is more open to American games and there are more anime fans here in the west than there used to be.  That new game by the creators of Bayonetta looks amazing and challenging.  So there's that.  I also love Yakuza.  But I think it might suit Sega better if their American division made a lot more good games like they used to back in the 90s.  That way each division can focus on their own audiences instead of everything coming from only Japan. 
Be like water.

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 02:05:14 pm »
Yakuza is great because it's really Japanese and crazy over the top.  It just works based on it's setting and premise.  Yakuza is to Japan what GTA is to the west.  The reason why it's not as popular in the west may be just because of that.  It's very Japanese.  I love it, but I can totally see how it would turn people in the west off at first glance.  Also the people making them really do give a crap, at least in the case of 0 moreso than 6 like the above comment ^.  Sega knows and understands their own Japanese gamer audience.  That is why I think they should pass off their games that appeal to western gamers to western fans and developers.  I mean fans that make games who are super passionate, of course.  We don't need another Sonic Boom.  Imagine a new Comix Zone like that.

So... is Yakuza a similar series to what Sleeping Dogs could have been?

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 01:35:51 am »
So... is Yakuza a similar series to what Sleeping Dogs could have been?

YES
Be like water.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 05:10:28 am »
Oh, dear God, that Cabaret Mini-Game with Goro Majima is pure crack cocaine! Certainly better than Kiryu's real estate mini-game.
I swear, some of Yakuza 0's mini games could almost be full fledged games by themselves.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 01:57:48 am »
Japan is more open to American games and there are more anime fans here in the west than there used to be.  That new game by the creators of Bayonetta looks amazing and challenging.  So there's that.  I also love Yakuza.  But I think it might suit Sega better if their American division made a lot more good games like they used to back in the 90s.  That way each division can focus on their own audiences instead of everything coming from only Japan. 

Japan isn't that open, it far more open than it was, but its still shuns a lot of the games that sell well in the west. Yakuza should have sold way more and I just feel if it was a 2K or SONY title it would have myself, also the series needs a bit of a reboot and time for a new location and to take part outside of Japan.

SEGA Japan really needs to do what it used to be able to do and make games that can work on the world wide stage. Why SEGA Japan isn't putting the Sonic/PSO II Team on making it's own Dark Souls type game is quite beyond me, even Temco joined inthe fun with a game that is 100% Japanese and enjoyed great sales with Nioh. 

Instead we get AM#2 making one for the Arcade by SEGA Japan :(
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is