Author Topic: Why this movie isn't Rocky VII?  (Read 6128 times)

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
Why this movie isn't Rocky VII?
« on: September 14, 2013, 05:55:02 pm »
[youtube]http://youtu.be/1bQSOBJCPQE[/youtube]
Seriously, What's next Arnold Schwarzenegger doing a movie called "Future Past: Killer Robots"

Offline tarpmortar

• Total Meseta: 7
Re: Why this movie isn't Rocky VII?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 08:00:10 pm »
Seems obvious to me; it's a comedy and as such wouldn't work well within the Rocky series, which are dramas. Had they named it Rocky they would have pissed the fanbase off.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 08:11:19 pm »
Yeah, but Stallone starring in a boxing film that isn't Rocky or is a parody of Rocky just feels weird you know.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 01:48:35 am »
Actually, a new Rocky movie might be on the way.

It's called 'Creed' and plot is that Rocky is now a training Apollo Creed's kid. No joke.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 07:35:48 am »
Did this need a full topic? Seems it would be more fitting in the current thoughts thread.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 03:02:19 pm »
Actually, a new Rocky movie might be on the way.

It's called 'Creed' and plot is that Rocky is now a training Apollo Creed's kid. No joke.

Link?

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 08:53:32 pm »
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/rocky-spin-off-creed-works-report-article-1.1407895

That's one, but trust me, there are many sites reporting on this. I love Rocky movies and I think this would kick serious ass.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 01:43:01 am »
Yeah, it appears legit.

I found a few references myself, very interesting.

Though the heart of the boxing series has been Sylvester Stallone, he wrote it, almost always directed it and he even produced it. So this Creed spin-off/sequel is something I am wary about.

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 09:14:04 am »
Seems obvious to me; it's a comedy and as such wouldn't work well within the Rocky series, which are dramas. Had they named it Rocky they would have pissed the fanbase off.

Too late for that, Rocky Balboa exists. :P

How is The Last Stand also? Interesting in Arnie films personally.

He always seems to look the same too in his films. D: Although I notice his wrinkles even more now.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 09:37:42 pm »
So the Rocky movies have always been very funny, the humor is subtle and intelligent but it is an integral part of the franchise. Off course the journey Rocky, his friends and family have to go through before the in ring finale is what defines the movie.

This movie is similar in that regard, as the trailer seems to suggest. I think it will be funny but it will be equally deep. Unfortunately it is recycling the same struggle Rocky went through in Rocky 3, 5, and Balboa.

Each Rocky movie added successive Rocky movie added another variable to ageing. 5 made him retire and train a successor. With Balboa he had returned to the ring because he was manipulated to an extent, but ultimately wanted to return as well. Despite public ridicule and (initially) lack of support from family and friends.

Grudge Match looks very similar to Rocky Balboa with 2 old guys facing off each other, rather than Yesterday's champion Vs Today's Champion.

Had Apollo not been killed off, it could have been the two of them returning to the ring. That would have been really special, certainly better than Rocky 4.

I will reserve judgement until I see it, maybe this movie surprises me.
If it fails, i'll be glad it doesn't have the Rocky name attached.

I think Arnold has had some plastic surgery or botox which is making him look a little weirder. He looked fine in Expendables... As for the movie, it is very old school and silly, but if you are a fan of Arnie you should be able to enjoy the film. I know I did, despite the fact that I was sitting next to a nitpicker who was criticizing every unrealistic detail, every step of the way.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 09:55:00 pm by cube_b3 »