Author Topic: New Captain America is Black  (Read 21129 times)

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
New Captain America is Black
« on: July 17, 2014, 01:38:44 am »
Not sure if you guys have heard yet, but Marvel just announced a few hours ago that the new Captain America will be black. The shield will be helmed by Sam Wilson aka the Falcon, Caps old sidekick.

To be honest I'm not happy about this at all. As a huge Cap fan, I don't see this as anything other than way to garner more sales..
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Re: New Captain America is Black
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 05:28:09 am »
How did he just become black... (I dont read comics or care much for super heroes)
Made by SEGA

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 06:14:21 am »
How did he just become black... (I dont read comics or care much for super heroes)

That's why you have to buy the comic..they just announced he's become black..as far as  i know the real cap got shot and killed some time ago and Bucky took over the mantle...

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 01:55:28 pm »

Well, Sam Wilson's always been black... As for how he'll take on the Captain America name, that remains to be seen.

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 02:10:37 pm »

Basically for whatever reason, The Falcon (you may recognize him from CapAm2: The Winter Soldier movie) is taking up the costume. Maybe Steve Rogers is taking a vacation.

It's different from the african american Spider-Man, which existed in a different timeline (Ultimate?) and I think this Cap is supposed to exist in 616, the "normal" timeline.

Introducing novelty and writing new interpretations of iconic figures seems essential to comic books, which is part of why I don't follow them. I don't find creating an african american Cap pandering or anything, I just don't like that things have to be constantly "freshened up"
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 03:13:22 pm »
What happened was that Cap was stripped of his Super Soldier Serum that kept him in in shape and didn't allow him to age. After that happened, he was then transformed into an old man, so he can't wield the shield anymore, hence why Sam Wilson will now be the new Captain America.

I just see this as a cash grab and nothing else. Captain America, to me, is one of those characters that you just don't touch. I didn't much care for him when Bucky Barnes became Cap either. Rather than create new and compelling diverse characters they go on and make Thor a Woman and now Cap is Black.. I honestly think they just want to stir up controversy.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 10:31:07 pm »
It is going to be temporary and part of a upcoming arc. But the way that Marvel has been pulling this announcements its quite obvious why they only have 2 books on my pull list while I have 14 from DC Comics and 10 from Image comics.

The worse one is Lady Thor announced on the View. OK, Marvel, fuck off, my mom isn't going to buy Thor comics.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 08:15:50 am »
What happened was that Cap was stripped of his Super Soldier Serum that kept him in in shape and didn't allow him to age. After that happened, he was then transformed into an old man, so he can't wield the shield anymore, hence why Sam Wilson will now be the new Captain America.

I just see this as a cash grab and nothing else. Captain America, to me, is one of those characters that you just don't touch. I didn't much care for him when Bucky Barnes became Cap either. Rather than create new and compelling diverse characters they go on and make Thor a Woman and now Cap is Black.. I honestly think they just want to stir up controversy.
So he's still alive then..does anybody stay dead in comics anymore..lol

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 09:27:33 am »
It is going to be temporary and part of a upcoming arc. But the way that Marvel has been pulling this announcements its quite obvious why they only have 2 books on my pull list while I have 14 from DC Comics and 10 from Image comics.

The worse one is Lady Thor announced on the View. OK, Marvel, fuck off, my mom isn't going to buy Thor comics.

I didn't know Marvel made that announcement on the View.. Wow, that is incredibly pathetic. What the fuck happened to this Company? I place blame on Disney.

Rojm - Cap died in 07 when he was shot and killed, but was reborn in 2010 i think. It was Ed Brubaker's Captain America Reborn run. Yeah, no one stays dead for very long in comics. Especially someone as iconic as Cap.

Joe Quesada needs to be fired, or something needs to shift within this Company because they clearly don't know wtf they're doing.

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 11:24:38 am »
Why is he whatever?

Well because Disney owns Marvel..........so everything they do from now on is affected by Disney.
Glee = HSmusical = Mickey Mouse club = Disney = Marvel K.O.ed??? = they are attempting to capture a wider audience.

Let me make this straight. Negros/Colored people/People of African decent/ do not have any other nation to withdraw from but the US. Everything that was, is, and will be, has been thrown on to the plates, backs, and image of the common Black American person.

RIGHT NOW AMERICA HAS AN EXTREMLY BAD IMAGE, DUE TO THE GENOCIDAL PROBLEMS SINCE 2001. The entire Orient does not like the US, Europe including Canada is not on their side. Even Mexico has an pact with Iran, if anything should go down or go wrong.

With the amass of internet "old wives tales" and manipulation of the market. Seeing a white person in most things ( especially nowadays ) is basically if we had Kaptain KX3  and the wonder ghosts. That is how people are feeling America's image right now.

It was so bad that an historical areas in the South South, was renamed. They even have people plotting to destroy beautiful statues, and war memorials as well. Speaking of destruction of property, the image of the US destroying a statue of the Iran leader is stupid. So stupid a Statue in former Russian states was torn down, and the SU decided to tear down an architectural feat in order to retort that destruction of property.

Also, and also the movie of Captain American that came out was renamed. The title of Captain America: The First Avenger was changed to The First Avenger, out of concern about anti-Americanism.

So your wondering why are we seeing characters we all know and love turn non-heterosexual, or non-European is because the appeal to world standards.

Also personally I feel safer with an negro president in office. Next European person who comes along will look like another Bush clone. It is the lesser to two evils. Sadly that is how some people are viewing the comics industry.

Again Disney = Marvel = beyond the term evil. What really bones is if they had restarted the series. However they are simply making the original Cap take a break. Speaking of which

Whatever happen to the futuristic Captain American II???

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 11:26:27 am »
Marvel began to fall apart before even Disney took control of them. The character assassination of both Gwen Stacy and Professor X was too much for me to take.

To me it's pretty sad how Marvel's countering of DC's genuinely superior storyline is giving character gender swaps/race changes. How about make a completely new character instead? Oh wait it's too risky and won't sell enough comic, not like a female Thor or black Captain America (At least the first few issues)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 11:28:15 am »
How did they ass-pull Captain America coming back from the dead after being shot?

And yeah, stuff like this is why I don't bother with cape comics. I'll stick to East of West, Pretty Deadly and Auteur, thanks.

EDIT: Female Thor, this I don't really mind. Isn't the whole idea originally than ANYONE can be Thor if they are 'worthy'? If there's a woman out there who's noble and willing to be a warrior there's no reason she can't pick up the hammer and gain his powers. Hell, Thor was a horse-alien for a while I believe.

These will likely be all temporary runs anyway.

Aki-at: Don't tempt them by asking for new characters, usually that results in some writer coming along with a Marty Stu "this guy is new and he's so good I'm going to have him beat up FOUR OTHER ESTABLISHED characters at the SAME TIME. Everytime he's not on panel, everyone should be talking about how dangerous and cool he is!"
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 11:33:17 am by MadeManG74 »

Offline George

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 04:52:20 pm »
Here is the thing I hate about the way Marvel is doing it. At least when they killed Captain America last time it was due to a fall out of a big event and was surprise. Civil War was huge. I know he isn't dead but that makes it worse. Its a blatant 'Swap for now' thing.

As for how 'Captain America' came back by being shot, it is explained in 'Captain America: Reborn' series.

"Rogers did not die, and that the gun Sharon Carter had been hypnotized to use had actually caused Rogers to phase in and out of space and time, appearing at events in his lifetime and fighting battles. The Skull returns Rogers to the present, where he takes control of Rogers' mind and body. Rogers eventually regains control, and with help from his allies, defeats the Skull in the fourth and final issues of this miniseries." - From wiki

Reminds me of how they brought back Batman after Final Crisis (which they shouldn't have since New 52 was a few years away)

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 09:06:27 pm »
Hell, Thor was a horse-alien for a while I believe.

Different character who was worthy of holding Mjolnir before:

http://marvel.wikia.com/Beta_Ray_Bill_(Earth-616)

How about make a completely new character instead?

You mean like: http://marvel.wikia.com/Miles_Morales_(Earth-1610)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 09:08:30 pm by Chaosmaster8753 »

Offline George

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 10:21:50 pm »
Again, Miles Morales actually had a good 'event' leading up to him taking on the mantel of Spider-man and was in the Ultimate universe.. Peter Parker's death in Ultimate was really sad and the series was canceled without bringing Peter back (in the Ultimate world). Peter actually died, while Captain America and Thor both got throw away stories and gave the mantle to someone else. Captain America and Thor aren't dead. Thor was rejected by his hammer and it accepted someone else. Captain America is unable to use his shield but will be commanding the new Captain America.

So, its not like that at all.

Honestly the only hero to actually get his 'mantel' taken was The Flash, Wally took over the Flash after Barry died for 25 fucking years.

Honestly this is just Marvel trying to reach out to minorities and diversify their books, but instead of giving a black hero his own ongoing, they will site back and give minorities the name of a big selling hero. I guess minorities aren't worth making a new hero?

1. Captain America - White
2. Iron Man - White
3. Bruce Banner - White (he is)
4. Spiderman/Peter Parker - White
5. Wolverine - white
6. Fantastic Four - all white
7. Dareddevil - White
8. Punisher - White
9. Deadpool - white

The issue here is that Iron Man and Thor used to be C class heroes, no one cared about them. Marvel invested enough money and time to make them work for an audience. Why doesn't Marvel just make a movie about a new female hero, with a nice new origins that might actually relate to females? Why don't they make a black superior that black people would be proud of? DC Comics has done it, sure they have the same issues as marvel at times, but they are going overboard now.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 10:32:16 pm by George »