Author Topic: "What Does the C Button Do?" A Blind Phantasy Star II Let's Play  (Read 6970 times)

Offline FourCartridge

• Total Meseta: 1
So... Phantasy Star II

Looking for new Genesis games to play, I stumbled upon the Phantasy Star series. I haven't really heard about it, and IIRC it is hailed as one of the greatest RPGs ever, the 1,000,000 people who signed up for PSO2 can't be wrong, right? Since I wanted to go through the series in order but couldn't find I, I'm starting with II. And as this is my first exposure to Phantasy Star, I thought it would be a good idea to make a blind Let's Play about it; Might as well share the experience(it's not that blind, I figured out where the first save point is, but other than that...)

But enough rambling.

We gotta name the Player Character, in JRPG tradition.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: "What Does the C Button Do?" A Blind Phantasy Star II Let's Play
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 07:23:08 am »
Name him "Cracker"

Offline FourCartridge

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 09:57:53 am »
Name him "Cracker"

Sadly, the name entry only takes up to four letters.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 10:05:26 am »
Four! That isn't much to work with! I'd go with "orta".

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 11:43:58 am »
Phantasy Star I is only for the Master System, that's probably why you couldn't find it if you were looking around in Gen/MD places.

Offline FourCartridge

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 12:18:09 pm »
Phantasy Star I is only for the Master System, that's probably why you couldn't find it if you were looking around in Gen/MD places.

Oh. Should have known to look there. =P But still, the show has to go on.

Offline FourCartridge

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 03:46:41 am »
So Orta has won by a grand total of one vote. XD Alright, let's begin...

Our story begins with our main character having a nightmare were he's powerless to help someone. Well that's not a good note to start on for a game.

We're an Agent? Does that mean we get to do secret spy stuff? Space Bond. James Bond.

And the awkwardness of me having a girl's name. His parents must have been so blindsided when he was born. Must have been wearing pink and everything when he was young.

And Orta gets his assignment; go into a monster infested lab and get a recorder.

Oh yeah, and when I don't come back, you'll just tell the next guy that, and the next one, and the next one. I hate being the expendable adventurer. I wanted Space Bond.

Why? Orta's only goin on what could possibly be a really dangerous mission to get a simple recorder.

Turns out Nei's a mix of Monster & Human DNA and was an outcast from society till Orta took her in. Aww... She's refuses to let him leave unless he takes her along. Party Member get?

And so we set off for adventure. First off, let's check out our stats:

All-Around stats, A Carbon Suit & Knife, standard JRPG protagonist equipment. Let's check out Nei:

Horrible stats, no weapon, no job... Nei didn't really think the whole "come with Orta to make sure he's safe" thing didn't she? Well, time to get her something to defend herself with. Orta heads to the weapon shop.

We don't have money for much... Rei's gonna have to take the Steel Bar. Doubt a piece of rebar will do much, but it's better than nothing. With that, we head to the Central Tower where we got our assignment to see if there's anything to help us know where to go. The room is for baggage, useless since we don't have anything, but the libary had something interesting

Oh gee, I wonder if this coming to bite us later in the game. Never trust a computer you can't throw outside the window. Unfortunately the library had nothing else(it's article on the Biolabs was nothing but exposition), so there's not much to do in the town other than save.

And that's part one. Come back for Part 2, where I try to not die at the first battle. =P
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 08:29:47 am by FourCartridge »

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 08:21:45 am »
Go back to your house for another party member!

I am stuck on this game. XD
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.