Author Topic: What happens when freedom of speech becomes an inconvinience?  (Read 3761 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
What happens when freedom of speech becomes an inconvinience?
« on: September 15, 2012, 09:20:33 am »

Hey, guys, I've tried very hard not to mention politics, sports or religion because often times, they are prone to verbal fist fights and end up being taxing for everyone, but this past week we've seen a very disturbing trend, even after the violence against the US in several countries, there is this to deal with:
Google will not remove the YouTube video that has been cited as the spark for demonstrations raging across the Middle East and North Africa, the company announced Friday.

The decision comes following a White House request for the trailer for ‘Innocence of Muslims’ to be reviewed under the company’s policies.

The Obama administration was not explicitly asking YouTube to remove the film, but to check if it meets their standards.

"The White House asked YouTube to review the video to see if it was in compliance with their terms of use," Press Secretary Jay Carney said.

The company determined that the video was within guidelines.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/09/14/white-house-asks-youtube-to-review-anti-islam-film/#ixzz26XwZdcW6

I've read a few comments on the matter and here's what I have to say: There is no justification for this insane amount of violence. The attacks on US embassies in Lybia, Egypt, Yemen were too well executed and too well planned to have been the result of a lynch mob who was outraged by a random Youtube video and decided to f*** s*** up.

What I find most troubling in this situation, is how many people, including the White House, are handling the situation. This is deliberate invasion and murder on american soil, putting the blame on a random Youtube video as the source of all the violence to me is almost as bad as being directly involved with the incident.

It sets up a double-standard: According to the WH, you cannot post videos that offend Islamic beliefs, but are you going to apply it to other faiths? Unlikely.

The thing that gets to me is that, if you happen to make a statement and something bad happens on the same day, a cause-effect link is somehow established and the person who certainly had nothing to do with the events becomes responsible for the violence and is used as pretext to justify violence.

Am I wrong to say this? If I am please, let me know.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: What happens when freedom of speech becomes an inconvinience?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 06:12:06 pm »
Although modern society tries to forget about it, most people have a working conscience.

Scapegoats will always be used to trick people into thinking their bad acts are justified.

It's like when a wealthy man is robbed. "He had plenty money to begin with" people say, as if that made burglary any less of a crime and the man any less of a victim.
SEG4GES

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: What happens when freedom of speech becomes an inconvinience?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 07:00:05 am »
True and it's further aggravated by the fact that there is zero evidence linking the movie to the actual attacks.