Author Topic: The Amazing 2012 Movie Discussion Rises: An Unexpected Journey  (Read 51839 times)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: The Amazing 2012 Movie Discussion Rises: An Unexpected Journey
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2012, 04:03:05 pm »
Should have called it "Twilight of Wizards"

Capture the Twilight and Harry Potter people.

DONE AND DONE.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2012, 05:26:58 pm »
Tintin was likely going to bomb anyway. Very few foreign properties have had great sucess in the US.

Few French/Belgian classic comic book properties like Asterix, Spirou, Lucky Luke and Michelle Vaillant have had much footing.

Oddly enough, the only Belgian IP that seemed to be successful was The Smurfs.

Now out of 2012, I've never seen the Clash of the Titans remake, my best buds keep telling me to stay the heck away from it, hence the sequel is puzzling. A sequel to a movie that apparentely nobody liked.

But if anything I'm happy to see Will Smith again, since he's going to be in MIB 3.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2012, 10:35:59 am »
I really with Asterix had taken off, it was always one of my favourite comics as a kid, I even visited the theme park in France and it was good fun.

Somewhere there is a photo of me standing next to Asterix.

I would love to see a CGI movie as well made as Tintin!
Made by SEGA

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2012, 12:33:38 pm »
Maybe I'm just taking for granted that Tintin's always been reasonably popular in Canada due to the cartoon.
I still think cropping the name is a bit of an insult to people's intelligence though. It would be like  The Fellowship of the Ring just being called The Lord of the Rings.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2012, 03:45:14 pm »
Yet Pirates of the Caribbean was given the incredibly long title of "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl". Who knows, maybe they just thought the full title was way too long.

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2012, 03:56:54 pm »
Yet Pirates of the Caribbean was given the incredibly long title of "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl". Who knows, maybe they just thought the full title was way too long.

They also sometimes change titles if they think it may alienate a certain group. That's why Disney changed Rapunzel to Tangled, they wanted a bigger male audience as well. I don't necessarily agree with these changes but I can see the logic behind them. 
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline George

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2012, 09:16:01 pm »
I don't see how a subtitle on a poster before you go to see a movie matters. No one said 'Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, do you want to go see it"

They where always like: "Hey, do you want to see that Pirate movie with Johnny Depp?"

Lets be real, Johnny Depp sold the movie. Should have just called it "Johnny Depp acting gay"

Also:

Why does Hollywood like to 'redesign' super heroes costumes and make them 'futuristic' and add little stupid shit like that belt buckle with no belt. Also he looks naked without the red underwear...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 02:49:30 am by George »

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2012, 01:37:03 am »
*sigh* Expectations for Superman have gone down now too.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2012, 08:28:49 am »
I thought the Superman Returns costume was pretty cool. I liked how it had hundreds of tiny S shields stamped into the shield. I also liked that they weren't afraid to use the red underwear (they're sort of a must, they tie the thing together) and I liked the slightly darkened colors.

This new one though... ugh. Seems the latest trend is to take a costume that has already worked and to fuck with it somehow. Like Amazing Spider-Man's weird lenses and silver shoes or Man of Steel's lack of belt/red pants.

On the subject of Superhero movies, I was curious as to what everyone's favorite Superhero movies are? Maybe top 3 or 5?

My list:
1 - The Dark Knight - not only a great superhero movie, this is a great movie period. Music, editing, story, acting. It's just such a fantastic and riveting experience. Probably one of the most realistic superhero movies too.

2 - Batman (1989) - A bit of a reverse Dark Knight, but everything still comes together fantastically. Much more of a comic book movie than Dark Knight, which I'd classify as more of a thriller/graphic novel movie. Again, music, editing, story and acting are all great. Keaton's Wayne/Batman is better than Bail's in this one, and Jack's Joker is a totally different Joker compared to Ledger, but still just as fascinating to watch.

3 - Spider-Man 2 - I love the pacing of this movie. S-M1 set everything up, and S-M2 just bursts out of the gate and runs with the already established world. Great villain, great fight scenes, great music and a real comic book feel.

4 - X2 - I really like the first X-Men, but X2 is the better film. Like Spider-Man 2, everything is established, so they jump right into the story. My only real complaint is that the third movie was a disappointment. Not awful, but not worthy of following X2.

5 - Watchmen: Director's Cut - It's not perfect, but it's the first real superhero epic. Rorschach is a fantastic character, and I loved how they had this whole past history that existed before the current events of the movie. Theres just so much crammed into this movie, that even if one thing doesn't work, about five other things do. The Black Freighter cartoon, which I saw separately, was so-so. Not as good out of context. But Under the Hood was a great watch and really expanded on the movie. The director's cut of the movie adds some much needed scenes, I loved Nite Owl fighting for his life while having flashbacks to the glory days.

Offline George

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2012, 03:22:40 pm »
All I wish for the 'Superman Returns' actor, was that he was more ripped. The costume is cool, though I do like his bright red color... for some reason. Not that the darker one looked bad, less cheesy.

Does stuff like Sin City be considered 'Superhero' movie? Also doe serials from the 60's count?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2012, 03:27:06 pm »
Yeah man! I'd think any character with abilities that exceed normal humans can be superheroes. Shit goes on in SIn City that could never happen for real.

Offline George

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2012, 04:33:09 pm »
I'm not into making list, so I will post just random comic movies I liked a lot:

- Adventures of Captain Marvel - Is it cheesy? Well its from the 40's, but for how old it is... its great. Every episode ends with a cliffhanger. Before the age of TV, must watch.
- Sin City: I loved the graphic novels and they stayed true. This is probably one of the better 'from comic' to 'movie' adaptation ever. Its true to the book.
- Watchmen: Who doesn't love the Watchmen. Even though the movie isn't EXACTLY like the comic, its entertaining and gets the job done.
- Black Mask: A Hong Kong action flick with Jet Li based on a comic? Yes please.
- Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Begins, Batman The Dark Knight (yes)
- Hellboy/II
- A History of Violence
- Kick-ass
- Spawn
- Men in Black
- Tales from the Crypt
- TMNT movies (1,2 and CGI one)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2012, 06:24:31 pm »
Yeah man! I'd think any character with abilities that exceed normal humans can be superheroes.
Does Rambo count then?

Offline George

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2012, 06:29:45 pm »
Was it based on a comic? In the end of the day, Sin City is a comic or graphic novel. That is enough to set it in a  Super Hero movie genre for some.

Edit: Err,,, yeah Rambo is a 1947 comic.

http://www.comicvine.com/rambo/29-53419/
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 06:33:49 pm by George »

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2012, 10:40:14 am »
2012 is going to be a fantastic year for films, in particular the action genre, but I am sadden no one has mentioned the best film of the year. It's probably the last action film from the actor too, rumoured at least.

That's right...

None other then...

JACKIE CHAN'S CHINESE ZODIAC AKA ARMOUR OF GOD 3!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFLVI-7upus - teaser/production trailer.

My body is ready for the grand finale of Jackie.

PS He should have totally stayed making Chinese films instead of wasting his time in Hollywood with trash like the Medallion, Tuxedo and the Spy Next Door. New Police Story, Rob-b-hood and Little Big Soldier beat all those films in just the first 20 minutes.

Yeah man! I'd think any character with abilities that exceed normal humans can be superheroes. Shit goes on in SIn City that could never happen for real.

So wait, does this not blur the lines for a Jackie Chan film, no normal human can do those stunts, but Jackie Chan does those stunts, SO IS HE A REAL LIFE SUPERHERO?!?

*sigh* Expectations for Superman have gone down now too.

Yes, yes! JAJA! Fantastic! May Superman be buried forever and forgotten and the series is renamed Lex Luthorman starring Lex Luthor for 100 times more awesome!

Also ewwww at that Superman redesign, the constume even looks photoshopped on him.