Author Topic: Politics  (Read 47155 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: Politics
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2016, 03:20:44 am »
The thing about the Eurozone especially after that f***ing Lisbon Treaty, as it stands it's not a sustainable project. I don't blame UK for wanting to leave. Ideally the Eurozone would be somewhat a zone where goods, services and people could move around without some of the hurdles. But as it stands, it's this bizarre centralized Belgium-based unit that excessively regulates everything through a centralized banking system and currency. Even worse, we have this mess of a system in which countries like France, Poland, Germany and the likes are just burning cash to essentially keep certain unproductive countries in a perpetual state of financial welfare (or arrested economic development, if you will).

It's bad enough that Greece clearly doesn't give a f*** as long as the money keeps pouring in. Portugal on the other hand, especially the current administration, lives in a bubble, their reforms are reversing the growth we've been experiencing for the past three years. Employment and economic development has become stagnant and it's always because of external factors and because our f***ing press is made up entirely of members of the PCP and LB, they go along with it.

This is frustrating to no end.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2016, 04:08:23 am »
Even worse, we have this mess of a system in which countries like France, Poland, Germany and the likes are just burning cash to essentially keep certain unproductive countries in a perpetual state of financial welfare
Is that how you look at it?
As I look at it, it's the other way around.

Rich countries "give" their money excess to the poor ones, on the promise these will eventually pay back with interest.
Of course, they are never able to, so the debt increases and more money is needed.

The rich aren't paying the poor welfare. They are completely controlling the cashflow of the poorer countries.

It's as if I gave you money for your expenses, on the condition that any money you make, you have to give back to me. It's unsustainable.

Ideally, it should work as if the EU was a single country. Like it happens in the US. There is a budget that determines how much a state needs, and the money is shared on a necessity basis.
In Europe, money is shared with absurd interest.
Take Portugal for example, we were in financial trouble, got the cash, and got out of it. By now we could be productive and increase overall european wealth. Instead, we have a huge debt to pay off, with no means to reinvest any money, and slowly walking into another financial hole for, take a guess, the rich countries to lend us some more.

Who the fuck came up with this?
Oh, that's right, the rich countries!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 04:13:07 am by crackdude »
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2016, 04:40:54 am »
I wanted to remain in the EU as I thought we could help change it or at least all be in the same boat when it goes wrong - and it is a case of when.

Despite wanting to remain, I do have a lot of issues with the EU and it's relationship with the UK. Free movement doesn't work fairly when you have uneven economies in each country. For example, EU zones have an awful record in youth employment, but the UK is doing really well in that. Extra tax for trading outside the EU zone, the EU's stance on certain global issues, the complete disregard of each separate countries needs and cultures etc.

The amount of countries in the EU isn't an issue, it's the idea that we all have to agree to the same terms that's the problem. We're completely separate countries and have different needs.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 04:54:08 am by Tad »

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2016, 05:23:53 pm »
Does the separation mean the people will vote for a conservative in the 2020 elections? Also, who will be the new prime minister this year?

Offline Tad

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2016, 11:51:28 pm »
They'll be a general election in 2020 where any party can be voted for. The conservatives are currently in power here and although David Cameron has resigned, we already have a new PM in Theresa May. She spent the last day assembling a team that will work around her in different departments.

I'm not exactly happy with this current government either.

Offline Tad

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2016, 12:46:40 pm »
Update: The new UK PM has stated article 50 to leave the EU won't be triggered till all nations that make up the UK agree on the move and we have clear 'objectives'. David Davis (in charge of leaving the EU) has already said he's not going to be doing much for a while.

My opinion, it seems to me we won't actually be leaving anytime soon and during which, the EU might change and we could potentially not go anyway then.

Offline pcm92

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2016, 05:37:47 pm »
Does England have a Bible belt?

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2016, 07:24:55 pm »
Does England have a Bible belt?
No, but the conservatives are trying to create one. Northern Ireland is the Bible belt of the entire U.K.

Offline Tad

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2016, 11:34:28 am »
Bit of an update, May has said no brexit till March 2017 and the lack of plan has clearly hit GBP and business confidence. What is equally strange though, is Nissan has agreed to make two new cars here in the UK despite Japanese business' stating they're concerns about leaving the EU.

Seems as though something is going on.

Offline Tad

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2016, 04:49:38 am »
In less then 10 minutes time, a court will give their verdict on whether A50 can be triggered without going through parliament. This could be huge as around 80% of those in parliament wanted to remain in the EU.

If it has to, parliament could easily go against the public vote and stop us leaving the EU. Sure, they'd lose face, but it is their job to look after the countries interests.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 04:54:03 am by Tad »

Offline Tad

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2016, 05:12:03 am »
It's been decided. No exit from the EU without parliaments consent. They're going to repeal, but at the moment that's a huge set back from leaving.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 02:26:14 pm by Tad »

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2016, 01:10:01 pm »
If the EU still wants the UK to stay then it might as well go fuck itself.

I feel for the UK people that wanted to stay, but in political terms it's the equivalent of quitting your job because you're mad at your boss and later coming in to work as if nothing happened.
It's bullshit on UK's part and a complete disrespect for countries like Portugal or Greece that go through loops just to not get kicked out, even though (at least in Portugal's case) it was UE policy that left us to dry economically in the first place.
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2016, 02:30:51 pm »
I doubt it will stop the UK leaving as such, but it will mean the right terms have to be met before we agree to trigger A50. Where as before, May had planned on leaving at the end of March 2017 without talking about the how's and who's of it all. Personally, I think that's the right way to it.

Just because the tories are in power that doesn't and shouldn't give them a free pass to do as they want. A lot is at stake here and not just the UK. If this is handled badly, the countries still in the EU will also suffer quite a lot.

45% of what the UK purchases comes from around the EU zones. Everything from cars from Germany to flour from France. It's understandable that many would want to "punish" the UK, but if you look at the bigger picture, it would most likely hurt them just as much in doing so.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 02:41:37 pm by Tad »

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2016, 03:24:28 pm »
It's been decided. No exit from the EU without parliaments consent. They're going to repeal, but at the moment that's a huge set back from leaving.

We all leaving the EU , it's a load of fuss about nothing really .
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Tad

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2016, 11:11:53 am »
Not sure I agree there. Yes, we will leave the EU, but this stops May and co from doing it without answering concerns or question. What I find truly worrying and disgusting is what some of the newspapers have been coming out with since. There's no defence for it.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 12:26:02 pm by Tad »