Author Topic: iPad: Who gives a shit?  (Read 49904 times)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
iPad: Who gives a shit?
« on: April 03, 2010, 05:20:52 am »
Have you used an iPod Touch? Imagine if it was bigger. The first 3 days are fucking awesome, you can't believe it, then you come to the realization that you spent 200 dollars on a 32gb iPod and the apps are not that great.

Someone seems to care though...

I liked the concept of the iPad, though its like instead of taking the leap, Apple took a step and half assed the thing.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
Re: iPad: Who gives a shit?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 06:18:51 am »
My closed-minded brain can't see much use for that thing. I'm sure a lot of people will find it useful in some way or another.

I think, however, it fails in all things it seems to want to achieve. It doesn't work that well as a book reader (Kindle says hi), it doesn't work that well as a notebook (USB says hi, keyboards say hi) and it doesn't work that well as a games machine (iTouch/iPhone say hi not to say NDS says hi).

Notice these are opinions of someone who never touched the device. Oh and by the way, [insert proper pad joke].

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 07:38:25 am »
I think as an inbetween for an iPod Touch and small laptop, the iPad is a success. THough they're gonna have to add a camera and mic before I even consider buying one.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 07:49:16 am »
Apple fans give a shit

Offline George

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 08:01:42 am »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
I think as an inbetween for an iPod Touch and small laptop, the iPad is a success. THough they're gonna have to add a camera and mic before I even consider buying one.
I would like a real browser that supports flash, multitasking and USB ports.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 08:09:06 am »

Offline MetaKraken_PSN

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 12:21:56 pm »
Edit: Never mind...

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 07:18:27 pm »
The whole thing seems like a bad joke, or Apple proving to the world that their fans will buy anything with the Apple logo on it.

Offline George

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 07:25:40 pm »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"
The whole thing seems like a bad joke, or Apple proving to the world that their fans will buy anything with the Apple logo on it.
They probably would.

JooJoo seems a ton better. It supports flash and 1080p video.
https://thejoojoo.com/

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 09:32:34 pm »
When I first heard of it, I remember hearing the price was around $100, and even then I did not think it was that great sounding...

It did make me a big fan of Comedy Central's show Tosh.0 however!

http://www.comedycentral.com/tosh.0/201 ... s-an-ipad/

[spoiler:2jec5n6l]They never turned it on![/spoiler:2jec5n6l]

Offline upsidedown fuji

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Chillin' with the Blue Rogues.
    • Upsidedown Fuji
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 07:26:04 am »
If it sells like hotcakes, it will lower the price of hardware for all. I support it as I want my Star Trek the Next Generation PADDs within another 10 years. But, to be honest; I have no real use for it.

Offline fluffymoochicken

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 04:03:46 pm »
Over half a million people are complete morons today, it would seem. Sales estimates I've seen are projected at around 700,000.

Offline George

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 09:40:13 pm »
Seems that the iPad has already been jailbroken.

I want to see what this will bring...  :twisted:

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 10:39:54 am »
Quote from: "Orta"
My closed-minded brain can't see much use for that thing. I'm sure a lot of people will find it useful in some way or another.

I think, however, it fails in all things it seems to want to achieve. It doesn't work that well as a book reader (Kindle says hi), it doesn't work that well as a notebook (USB says hi, keyboards say hi) and it doesn't work that well as a games machine (iTouch/iPhone say hi not to say NDS says hi).

Notice these are opinions of someone who never touched the device. Oh and by the way, [insert proper pad joke].

1)  Why doesn't it work as a book reader?  The iBooks application is better than Kindle (It's in color, and you can change the fonts and text size), but if you still like the Kindle, there's an Amazon Kindle App for the iPad.  

2)  The dock port is USB, just proprietary.  There is a both a software and hardware wireless Keyboard, or Keyboard dock.  

3)  Why doesn't it work as well as a game machine?  There's no such thing as an "iTouch".  

I know you told us at the end that you were ignorant, but why post at all?

Quote from: "fluffywhatever"
Over half a million people are complete morons today, it would seem. Sales estimates I've seen are projected at around 700,000.

It's just fine to say you don't understand it, or see the use for it.  Now you call everyone who bought one a moron?  You're calling me a moron.  

I realize I'm swimming upstream in this thread, and obviously I'm not as cool as the rest of you that think I'm a moron or a mindless Apple fan.  Just so I can get ripped apart, here's my reasoning for buying one.

1)  It's more than just a giant iPod Touch.  ("iTouch" is not a thing).  It has a custom A4 chip and actually runs full computer-like applications Keynote, Numbers and Pages (Think Apple's version of Powerpoint, Excel and Word).  Me being a Realtor, I will bring it to someone's house and go through my listing presentation (a Keynote file).  SInce it's a pad, they can sign electronic documents on it, and I can page through comparable sales and their as-built survey, and if they want to see how I advertise, I can take them though my web site using wireless or 3G.  

Unlike a Netbook, it's not a throttled down computer.  It's a hybrid of the iPhone and a laptop.  Things are built to run in it specifically, with a completely different interface than a computer.  

2)  I travel a lot.  I'm the president elect for my local board of Realtors, so this year I'm going to Washington DC, Chicago, New Orleans and Juneau (twice).  It's a huge added bonus to be able to watch movies on something that light, yet with such a huge screen, plus I don't drain my iPhone's battery while I'm on the plane, get off the plane and I can't call the Hotel shuttle.    

3)  All the previous iPhone / iPod Touch apps will work on it.  You just tap on them to blow them up.  Also, may of the developers have already made updates so you have the same ones in native resolution, and there are completely separate iPad versions as well.  

4)  Since it's an apple product, I can connect it to Mobile Me and sync it with my 1550 contacts, calendars, Safari Bookmarks and Mail.  It makes a great planner.  With the iPhone it was a little stressful to try to input appointments on it while I'm talking on it at the same time.  It can be done, but it isn't fun.  

5)  iTunes  / iPod functionality, and everything it entails.  I don't need to explain that.

6)  I've been excited about switching to eBooks, since I have a whole room full of books that I am tired of moving around when I move houses.  I still haven't been excited about the Kindle.  It only does the one thing, and it's not in color, so any graphic novels or magazines won't work on it.  So iBooks sounds much better to me.  I just wish my iPad was here so I could go through and browse the books they have.  I want to start planning which books I'm going to replace, and which ones I will keep.

Negatives

- It should have a front-facing camera for video chat.  That's important to some people.  I don't need it, but I recognize that it's missing.  

- Flash Memory is still too expensive.  The largest capacity you can get is 64GB.  I'm sure in future versions the HD capacity will be much higher.  

- Doesn't completely multi-task.  Apple made a conscious choice with the iPhone to limit the multi-tasking.  You can talk on the phone or listen to music while you do one other thing.  If you try the droid, reviews say that you can easily bring the phone to a screeching halt and kill the battery with multi-tasking.  Why give people something else to complain about?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 11:28:28 am by Emmett The Crab »

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 11:25:42 am »
Quote from: "Emmett The Crab"
1)  Why doesn't it work as a book reader?  The iBooks application is better than Kindle (It's in color, and you can change the fonts and text size), but if you still like the Kindle, there's an Amazon Kindle App for the iPad.  

Battery, having to stare at a computer screen to read. These screens hurt my eyes. The battery lasts 10 hours, but that's not enough when you're away from home. If I was to use this as a book reader I wouldn't want to be stuck to a wall.

2)  The dock port is USB, just proprietary.  There is a both a software and hardware wireless Keyboard, or Keyboard dock.  

Which means, "pay a load of money to Apple to be able to use a USB port". Why not put a regular port instead? Why can't I shove a USB memory stick in one of those things so I can copy a few photos my friend wants to give me? I have to carry some adapter around? To think Apple were the first to ditch serial ports in favor of USB! Good luck with that software keyboard by the way.

3)  Why doesn't it work as well as a game machine?  There's no such thing as an "iTouch".  

Because I don't know what it is. Is it a portable system? Is it a home system? Will it get real games? Yeah, real games. By that I don't mean stuff that will last as long as the novelty lasts.

I know you told us at the end that you were ignorant, but why post at all?

I was looking for someone who could prove me wrong. You certainly didn't help. I still can't see how the device fares better than anything else I mentioned on my first post.

It tries to be a lot but, ultimately, in the eyes of a possible buyer like me, it fails. Sure, I never used one, but given the pros and the cons which any potential buyer looks at beforehand, there's nothing here that'd make me want to spend my money.