Author Topic: Sonic Generations General Discussion  (Read 162384 times)

Offline Waffle

• Banned
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 11:22:49 pm by Waffle »

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
Re: Sonic Generations Chemical Plant Zone / Metal Sonic
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2011, 05:54:57 pm »
I was initially blown away with Chemical Plant Zone, but after a while I've realized the 3D section has extremely narrow lanes (classic unleashed crap) and I bet it would have invisible walls preventing you to move about to the other lanes.

If you could it would probably be the lame trigger switch.

I really don't like the Unleashed narrow lane design.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2011, 11:17:26 pm »
I was initially blown away with Chemical Plant Zone, but after a while I've realized the 3D section has extremely narrow lanes (classic unleashed crap) and I bet it would have invisible walls preventing you to move about to the other lanes.

If you could it would probably be the lame trigger switch.

I really don't like the Unleashed narrow lane design.

well get ready cause there's more of that on the way.  You had better prepare for the emotional stress of seeing your favorite levels from SA1,SA2, and 06 being reduced to a one track speed marathon.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2011, 02:08:59 am »
Yeah, the speed will be over the top and there will be unnecessary 2D sections however from what i've seen in the city escape trailer things looked alright, there was sufficent space to roam around rather than zip forward.

The Remake of 3D stages will be fine, stages like Green Hill Zone and Chemical Plant are the ones that are really suffering oddly enough the classic stages look fantastic.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2011, 02:44:12 pm »
I have not looked at the screens, but compared to the art of the classic games, it seems somewhat hard to make many fully 3D sections on Chemical Plant Zone as a good amount of the level is on tubes (hopefully ones you can spin into). I am not really too sure as to what to expect as I am hearing about explosions and stuff too, but I did not want the exact same style of level anyways.

On the people complaining about the 3D variations of levels... Remember all those times where you fell off Speed Highway and got frustrated at lame hit detection? Imagine how much more fun it will be with lame hit detection, unresponsive buttons and BOOST! I am sure the Sonic & Knuckles level is also going to be tons of fun !  :'(

Probably my biggest problem with the modern styled Sonic levels is how they all use similar gimmicks, which was a major issue for Unleashed. Like, why do so many levels have balloons floating around? Just to bounce on? Why not just make a different gimmick for a level like City Escape that has no need for random balloons?

But even though I like the "Unleashed" style of gameplay a bit, I do not think it feels very Sonic-like. I like that they are reintroducing rolling into the games, but it is really strange how against it Sonic Team are to begin with.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2011, 03:30:54 pm »
If your talking about Similar Gimmicks don't forget about the boss fights in Colors & Unleahsed, they were almost identical.

Unfortunately some of the same gimmicks are plaguing the Gun Truck in City Escape.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2011, 06:02:48 pm »
SA2 being reduced to a one track speed marathon.

Well SA2 was that in the first place. Even 06, SA1 were like that plenty of times, but they were interresting use of areas even if your only going forward. City Escape in this game succeeds in that quite a bit.

Offline Waffle

• Banned
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2011, 07:09:20 pm »
My grand theory is that they intended this to be all Unleashed gameplay, hence 2D and 3D, but then realised that they raped Sonic 4 and that there was marketing potential for classic Sonic. After that, they forced it in and delayed Sonic 4 Episode 2.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2011, 07:33:44 pm »
My grand theory is that they intended this to be all Unleashed gameplay, hence 2D and 3D, but then realised that they raped Sonic 4 and that there was marketing potential for classic Sonic. After that, they forced it in and delayed Sonic 4 Episode 2.

I think that they had some Classic/Modern Split planned, but not sure how exactly, and after Sonic 4 they began to substansially build on the Classic gameplay. The way Classic Sonic behaves in this game could also be Sonic Team's own interpretation, before Sonic 4 Feedback, in some ways.

Offline Autosaver

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2011, 09:39:17 pm »
Or.. Classic Sonic was originally planned and Sonic 4 was made during development? (Instead of the other way around)

And wasn't Generations supposedly being worked on after Unleashed?

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2011, 03:31:20 am »

That's a nice theory, while hard to believe but i'll humor it.

I agree with you on 50% the Modern stages are completely based on Unleashed which is sad cause it doesn't represent the majority of modern Sonic games and the whole unnecessary Side Scrolling section existing in the modern levels is evidence for your theory as they are completely irrelevant if you have dedicated Classic stages.

That said, the classic stages are remarkably different to the Modern stages, in level design and physics so they don't seem shoe horned later in development.

Offline Waffle

• Banned
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2011, 05:02:14 am »
The biggest reason I think it may be possible is the overlap between Classic Sonic and Sonic 4. If they were willing to go full classic, then why did they compromise on Sonic 4?

Generations and Sonic 4 also compete with themselves on the same consoles, and Sonic 4 was delayed. It seems awkward.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2011, 02:21:35 pm »
I have not looked at the screens, but compared to the art of the classic games, it seems somewhat hard to make many fully 3D sections on Chemical Plant Zone as a good amount of the level is on tubes (hopefully ones you can spin into).

[youtube]mI0DKYdaxLs[/youtube]

Look Cory!

Looks alot like the Adventure levels, there is a lot of latitude to the classic stages if you convert them to 3D.

It is proven with Green Hill Zone SA2.

The Unleashed style is only used cause it makes the developers job easy when the entire game is running on autoplay.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2011, 07:13:41 am »
http://www.gamersglobal.de/interview/die-sonic-fans-nie-wieder-enttaeuschen

So according to this German Interview, Iizuka says the lowpoints of the Series are to blame because of Nakas departure in 2006 and him not coming back to Japan in 2008. I like how he talks he did nothing wrong with the Sonic Series...

Oh, and he also says that he will never dissapoint the Fans again, we'll see how that goes...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 07:16:56 am by Trippled »

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2011, 10:02:59 am »
Obviously the departure of staff half way through development will hurt the project.

It is common sense, 10 members in addition to Naka left the company that is a big number.

The most amazing thing about Naka is he will never defend himself, he simply doesn't comment. We've heard STI members bitch about him all the time, now we are hearing Iizuka taking him down for Sonic 06 even though Naka isn't credited for the game but crap after his departure such as NiGHTS, Black Knight, Unleashed had nothing to do with Naka.