Author Topic: What are you watching lately?  (Read 17947 times)

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
Re: What are you watching lately?
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2013, 09:12:15 pm »
Almost done with the third season of Fringe. This show is absolutely amazing.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2013, 04:39:17 am »
I finally watched the first episode of Defiance... It seems kinda nice. It's an odd sci-fi Western of sorts...

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2013, 10:53:24 am »
The last season of Dexter started on Sunday. I like the direction the series has taken, it's definitely going to be interesting to see how everything ends. Man, i've been watching this for years, it's gonna be a bummer to watch it finally end.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2013, 09:59:11 pm »
The first episode was pretty decent, though I think I know how it will end up.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2013, 05:51:44 am »
Mad Dogs (all the seasons).

Still none the wiser on what they are running from, and the ending is a cliffhanger.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2013, 02:24:16 am »
Defiance, Teen Titans Go! and not much else.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2013, 07:34:11 pm »
I've mostly been watching stuff on Crunchyroll and Cartoon Network such as Toonami, Venture Bros. (season finale is tonight,) and I'm gonna try to start watching the Whose Line is it Anyway revival.

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2013, 11:26:54 pm »
I've started watching Orange is the New Black, as well as Breaking Bad. Orange is fucking awesome! I love Laura Prepon, as well as Kate Mulgrew. Never thought I'd say that about my least favorite Star Trek Captain. Hell, it even has me liking Jason Biggs, and I've been wanting that little prick dead ever since I saw him fuck a pie. Can't wait for the second season.

Breaking Bad isn't what I was expecting. In all honesty, it's now one of my favorite shows. Fantasitc performances all around, great drama and a nice dose of quirky humor.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2013, 03:26:15 am »
Breaking Bad is really well done TV.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2013, 06:03:34 am »
I really wish I could be wowed by these popular shows, but I have seen it done before elsewhere. :(

Watched The Little Norse Prince which I believe was a great film for the 1960s, but a little simplistic now.

Also watched Only Yesterday too...I believe the film was lacking a direction (and that bath scene. >_< Japan should really consider cutting out cultural aspects that could offend), but I cried at the end...but still...the flashbacks were too scattered and I started to think "How many things did she DO at 10 years old? Surely all of that didn't happen within a year?", they got lazy on the last flashback, since the character just talked about her last part of her childhood rather than going straight to the flashback. I don't think the memories were in order either, so it confused me.

Pre-Ordered Claymore (some anime with Women Warriors...I hope it's good) and "Read or Die". I really don't seem to get Anime at all like most gamers do (but not here, since you guys love a lot of western films/animation moreso), but at least I'm trying with the few that look good (seriously, 80% of it is sexual pandering...and 50% of that isn't appropriate at all. <_<).

Ghibli Films are hit and miss, despite being a fan of their Art Style.

The only anime I ever liked was Mushi-Shi, but even that has a few duds in the series.

Offline puyopuyoman

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2013, 10:50:50 pm »
Korra book 2 started airing so I've been watching that. The Digimon Xros Wars English dub started airing on TV recently so I've been seeing how that's turning out, other than that though I don't really watch too much TV so that's pretty much it for me other than a bunch of random animes.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2013, 02:00:00 am »
Marathoned Breaking Bad yesterday. Hope I can finish it before the final episode, sucks that Netflix doesn't have the episodes before it, though.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2013, 06:13:29 am »
Waterloo Road is back on...but I missed one.

That Barry Barry character is probably the funniest villain out of all of the series for me...although Denzel's brother was fucked up in the head in Season 4 or 5....

I liked Finn too for being the rebellious dude before he turned into somewhat of a good person.

To you Canadians out there, it's like Degrassi but likely not as controversial in the episodes.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2013, 07:06:13 pm »
So...

Just to recap...

Regular Show - Watched every single episode since season 1. Very impressed.

Wakfu - This might sound a bit odd, but here goes: Arguably one of the best animated series I've ever seen. PERIOD. I'm not joking. I've grown to loathe japanese anime for a while and then I look at this and I see stunning animation (barely any assets re-used, there no corners that were cut here), an awesome story that has a great principal protagonist, great supporting cast, an interesting antagonist (at least as far as the first season is concerned) and a real sense of adventure.
It has more in common with your average japanese anime yet viewing it as a complete package it feels so fresh and fully realised. I was floored by the ending of season 1, which is quite heavy and dramatic, season 2 didn't fare as well as I'd hope but nevertheless a fun ride.

Offline tarpmortar

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2013, 07:17:39 pm »
Magnum P.I. ssn 2, Miami Vice ssn 2, Portlandia ssn 3, Derek ssn 1 and The Wonder Years ssn 2. All are pretty great imo, obviously for different reasons.

Magnum because it reminds me of the sort of quirkiness The Rockford Files had, and in the lead role it stars Tom Selleck and Tom Selleck's mustache, great cast. The Wonder Years is obviously a fantastic coming of age tale and period piece, very well done and on the receiving end of a ton of critical acclaim; I've watched TWY before but never the entire series just episodes here and there via repeats.

Derek is your average Ricky Gervais fare, like Extras or The Office, which is to say brilliant. It's funny but it also has that undercurrent of drama and emotion that we usually see in Gervais' TV series. Derek's emotion is maybe more prominent than in his other TV series, in its commentary on oft-ignored retirement homes and the people who work in them, largely a thankless job and extremely difficult. There was a lot of media saying Ricky was making fun of the challenged/differently abled, Ricky himself denies that Derek is mentally disabled and insists that Derek is merely naive/socially awkward. Regardless of whether that's true or not, the media bullshit saying he was making fun of the challenged is patently false, he portrays the character with sincerity and not as the butt of a joke. One more reason to write off entertainment "journalists" I suppose, gotta make something out of nothing in headlines to peddle their papers and webpages.

Portlandia is Portlandia, I thought this season would be worse than season 2 but I actually think it's superior. Maybe now that Fred Armisen is done on SNL he's dedicating more time to this project. Either way, a pleasant surprise.

Miami Vice is just cool as shit, it's melodramatic but fuck is it not quintessential '80s? Plus it has a Testarossa, the show's fashion consultant was Gianni Versace and as such a ton of the suits still look great, the phenomenal focus on music (Miami Vice will not hesitate to show Don Johnson driving a Ferrari for two and a half minutes to finish off a Bryan Ferry, Glenn Frey or Phil Collins track) during the MTV boon, the melodrama that reminds me of Japanese drama (think Yakuza if you've never seen one) but doesn't go far enough to be awful like an American soap, the Miami art deco architecture, pastel colors, great guest stars. Super well put together.

I'm also occasionally tuning into a cartoon on Netflix, usually Adventure Time or Regular Show. I like both quite a bit though I miss Netflix having the Nickelodeon classics like Rugrats, Rocko and Hey Arnold! quite a bit.

Edit: Forgot Eastbound and Down ssn 3, only two episodes in and I haven't formed much of an opinion. First episode was great second wasn't as good as the first.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 07:22:12 pm by TaroYamada »