Author Topic: New Star Wars trailer...  (Read 45665 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
Re: New Star Wars trailer...
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 07:56:26 am »
Yeah I felt the same way but I didn't know if me thinking something was "off" had to do with me not being a big Star Wars fan. The camera work, picture quality etc didn't really feel like it belonged with the Star Wars series.

What's starting to become clear is that they can't seem to even replicate the techniques used to film the OT...and its starting to lok uneven..PT doesn't fit aesthetically  to the OT...their idea of tatooine just stands out diferently to how tatooine was presented in the first SW movie.and what's more the Jedi tatooine scenes fits with the first movie than the phantom menaces. So all i saw was what looked like fake sand and odd shots....where the dune seas of tatooine in jedi looked real..FELT real.
And that's the problem. the reason or part of the reason these films impacted was the worlds they had in the films while fantastic LOOKED and felt real. Yet with today's new tech they can't even get that right. I think its to do with ideas..and how its shot..anyway the OT people are involved this time round so it should be good..i hope..r

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 09:24:03 am »
Yeah I felt the same way but I didn't know if me thinking something was "off" had to do with me not being a big Star Wars fan. The camera work, picture quality etc didn't really feel like it belonged with the Star Wars series.
That's because the camera work in the Star Wars series has been stagnant for more than 30 years.
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 10:05:27 am »
spoiled by the artificial LENS FLAIR(whoo!(sorry couldn't resist..which is why i didn't spell it out as flare)

o i am laffin

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 10:20:29 am »
At least they got John Williams back.

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2014, 10:18:04 pm »
This just doesn't interest me. I've seen all six movies at least once but I don't have strong feelings on Star Wars to begin with and nothing in the trailer sells me on the movie itself, separate from its legacy. All I see besides that is an epic blockbuster.

I may just see it anyway I guess depending on my mood for the month or two after its release
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2014, 02:48:52 am »
Star Wars is just one of those franchises that no matter what is shown, someone will find something to complain about. Are we really talking about how 'HD' it looks? Too much of a blockbuster...

Do you guys know what Star Wars the originals where based off? Serials, which had flashy explosions and all that. Exactly what a blockbuster film is known for. Yes, serials end with a question after a film and we don't know what will happen in the end of these but so far by the trailer their on the right track.

They even changed uniforms slighty to show the time that has passed since the old ones, they brought back the ships people wanted (and apparently their particle effects mixed with CGI).

Its just a teaser, they are just giving us the tip and so far its nice.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2014, 08:19:03 am »
Star Wars is just one of those franchises that no matter what is shown, someone will find something to complain about. Are we really talking about how 'HD' it looks? Too much of a blockbuster...

Star Wars is just one of those franchises that no matter how bad it looks, someone will find something to defend. Are we really talking about how it's okay for this movie to have lens flare? It's okay when Star Wars does it!!

(I'm just kidding, I don't really like Star Wars, but it looks okay, fanboys will eat it up.)

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2014, 01:24:27 pm »

Do you guys know what Star Wars the originals where based off? Serials, which had flashy explosions and all that. Exactly what a blockbuster film is known for. Yes, serials end with a question after a film and we don't know what will happen in the end of these but so far by the trailer their on the right track.

They even changed uniforms slighty to show the time that has passed since the old ones, they brought back the ships people wanted (and apparently their particle effects mixed with CGI).

Sure, maybe? Why would this be a problem? That's often what happens when you have a pretty popular franchise that is different across media from its inception to the current day, and kept alive by all sorts of TV shows and games and etc.

But beyond that, I think there's nothing that really appeals to me about Star Wars to begin with. I'm not a fan of the franchise by any means but thought it was at least worth looking at the trailer and giving it a shot.
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline ROJM

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2014, 03:36:18 pm »

And the point was it exceeded those serials that it based its material from. No one expected it to became just as BAD as those serials when they made the prequels.But that's another issue entirely...from what i've seen from the prequels to this teaser they haven't captured tatooine like they presented it in the original films. And i'd like to actually see the millenium falcon in action..not get blinded by Abraham's constant artificial lens flare that takes half the fracking screen.

Offline George

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2014, 08:20:35 pm »
This teaser is pretty much nothing like I said. I'm worried about it like everyone else, but really the pre-quels didn't suffer because of the new fast pace action fights and new ways of filming. It was poor scripting, phoned in acting, bad management, and not making any sense. The prequels took the story of characters and decided to focus on 'big wars' 'clone troopers' 'senates' and other shit no one that liked the original movies really cared about.

Personally if the trailers start showing 'political scenes' i'm out.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2014, 08:24:59 pm »
I'm on board mainly because I'm actually kind of interested in a slightly fresh take on the world of Star Wars.

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2014, 11:44:54 pm »
Lawrence Kasdan got me in. He penned My favorite(Empire strikes back) of the original trilogy.
And of course like I mentioned earlier, Williams also sucks me in.

I'm concerned about Abrahms but not due to his actual direction. His effects sure. However, I doubt he'll manage to mangle star wars more than Lucas did. Politics was an awful route to emphasize for the prequels. The only redeeming factor funnily enough ARE the clone troopers IMO.

The 2002 Clone wars Animated shorts were amazing and many of the best written episodes of the 2009 Clone wars CGI series revolve around the clone troopers and their various thoughts, desires, struggles ect...They weren't mindless, blind soldiers, they were portrayed very human. Of course there is also other media such as Republic commando, which did an excellent job making clones in the form of commandos, humorous and likeable.

I doubt he can do worse than his Trek Reboot which had absolutely nothing to do with what Star trek was about(Discovery, commentary, Religion, politics vs LENS FLARE EBIL SHIP BOOM). Trek had its fair share of emphasis on conflict from time to time but Jesus.

Offline George

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2014, 12:20:43 am »
I don't think the Clone Wars was a bad animated short, I just think the idea that these troopers out there are just clones made in a assembly line fighting robots made in an assembly line really takes away from the humanity of it all. its like "Why do I care about these CGI robots fighting clones" and I know some will say "ITS MOVIES WHY CARE AT ALL".

In the original trilogy they had like very few fights compared to the new one, but at least you cared a little about Han, Chewie, Han and the rest. In the new one, I'm like "oh look, like 80 Jedi bringing up their weapons doing backflips. Who cares"

Offline ROJM

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2014, 07:56:18 am »
This teaser is pretty much nothing like I said. I'm worried about it like everyone else, but really the pre-quels didn't suffer because of the new fast pace action fights and new ways of filming. It was poor scripting, phoned in acting, bad management, and not making any sense. The prequels took the story of characters and decided to focus on 'big wars' 'clone troopers' 'senates' and other shit no one that liked the original movies really cared about.

Personally if the trailers start showing 'political scenes' i'm out.

Never said it soley suffered from that..it was part of the problem though..it didn't have the feel.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2014, 07:58:53 am »
Lawrence Kasdan got me in. He penned My favorite(Empire strikes back) of the original trilogy.
And of course like I mentioned earlier, Williams also sucks me in.

I'm concerned about Abrahms but not due to his actual direction. His effects sure. However, I doubt he'll manage to mangle star wars more than Lucas did. Politics was an awful route to emphasize for the prequels. The only redeeming factor funnily enough ARE the clone troopers IMO.

The 2002 Clone wars Animated shorts were amazing and many of the best written episodes of the 2009 Clone wars CGI series revolve around the clone troopers and their various thoughts, desires, struggles ect...They weren't mindless, blind soldiers, they were portrayed very human. Of course there is also other media such as Republic commando, which did an excellent job making clones in the form of commandos, humorous and likeable.

I doubt he can do worse than his Trek Reboot which had absolutely nothing to do with what Star trek was about(Discovery, commentary, Religion, politics vs LENS FLARE EBIL SHIP BOOM). Trek had its fair share of emphasis on conflict from time to time but Jesus.

The clone soldiers is a big problem..its now established that  the clone soldiers died due to limited life spans. But the ammount of troops that were created...there's no way the empire could replace them with enough storm troopers to maintain their dominance. That needs to be addressed really. Also another special edition to get rid of jango fett's voice for the storm troopers...in those films..

The animated series by that Samura Jack guy showed how the movie prequels should have been done. The films never showed anakin being a great pilot starfighter or being a powerful jedi..it kept telling us..the threat of the clone soldiers never were shown it was implied..the animated series is the excitement  and adventure of SW the prequels lacked. The cgi series just filled the gaps and added more depth to the shallow live action movie prequels.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 08:01:58 am by ROJM »