Author Topic: Yuji Naka should reveal this month a PS3/360 action game!  (Read 8817 times)

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
Re: Yuji Naka should reveal this month a PS3/360 action game!
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 10:34:44 pm »
When was the last time Naka actually managed a decent game? Billy Hatcher? I don't really see how relevant he is anymore. The same with Yu Suzuki. Both are certainly iconic members of Sega's past, but one hasn't produced a game that's more complex than Farmville in half a decade, and the other has been virtually silent. I honestly think Yu is just in limbo; Sega doesn't want to invest much into him after costly flops like Shenmue and Ferrari F1, but they don't want to fire the man who made them and kept them afloat during the 1980s, and one of the only reasons the Saturn was successful in Japan.  Naka's just anal retentive; he wants to innovate really badly, but he's terrified he can't live up to his reputation, and so makes innovative games that are good in the context of a shitty market, but nothing bold.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 07:51:01 am »
Are we discussing Naka's new game or are we discussing how one should go about posting a news story on their own site? It makes perfect sense to post this on the front page, and even if it didn't make perfect sense George still has the right to post it.

As for the topic at hand, I'm very much hoping that Naka's action game brings with it a new character. Nothing dull like the Let's Tap! men or Ivy, hopefully something cooler. I thought Bubble Voyager was a cool design:

Sort of like Sparkster mixed with Sonic.

Offline Deefy

• Total Meseta: 6
  • SupporterOfSEGA & F.C.Internazionale
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 11:25:21 am »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"

As for the topic at hand, I'm very much hoping that Naka's action game brings with it a new character. Nothing dull like the Let's Tap! men or Ivy, hopefully something cooler. I thought Bubble Voyager was a cool design:

Sort of like Sparkster mixed with Sonic.

Yeah Barry, also to me really liked the visual of Bubble Voyager, a bit less the game design.
SEGA STYLE

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 06:16:39 am »
Quote from: "jonboy101"
When was the last time Naka actually managed a decent game? Billy Hatcher? I don't really see how relevant he is anymore. The same with Yu Suzuki. Both are certainly iconic members of Sega's past, but one hasn't produced a game that's more complex than Farmville in half a decade, and the other has been virtually silent. I honestly think Yu is just in limbo; Sega doesn't want to invest much into him after costly flops like Shenmue and Ferrari F1, but they don't want to fire the man who made them and kept them afloat during the 1980s, and one of the only reasons the Saturn was successful in Japan.  Naka's just anal retentive; he wants to innovate really badly, but he's terrified he can't live up to his reputation, and so makes innovative games that are good in the context of a shitty market, but nothing bold.
As usual concise and too the point.Another excellent JB post. I agree with most of it. Naka doesn't have the protection of Sega anymore to hide behind when things go wrong like sonic the hedgehog for next gen or take credit with when it all goes right like SONIC 2 and now he's running his actual company(set up and paid for by Sega) he's finding just how diffulcult things at the top really are. And we were led to believe by a certain Nakafanboy that he left sega because he couldn't make games anymore. He's not really making them now is he?

With Yu, well he deserves the rest really considering how much he did for sega. But at least he's still in sega.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 06:52:38 am »
sega because he couldn't make games anymore. He's not really making them now is he?
I think the real answer was Naka-san was tired of working as CEO and with a Team of Over 170 staff , and wanted to go back to a smaller teams and try and be more hands on.  

And for the last time, Naka only talks about/Tales credit for games he's worked on.

But at least he's still in sega

What was the last great game Yu Suzuki made, what he's up too ?.  Yu Suzuki is semi Retired , and is being treated horribly by the current SEGA board IMO. The man real talent is produce High Eng games, not sitting at a empty desk getting paid for doing nothing. It's an insult to the great man talent , either let him make games, or just let him go

But the trouble with SEGA is not enough 'young' staff coming through the ranks, not training up the lines of next gen development. Its always the old guard running the shows .

Its time people like Ueda-san, Kikuchi -san, Osaki-san  their own Teams and Budgets, they are the 'Future'
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 11:23:21 am »
Rieko Kodama trained the Valkyria teams via Skies of Arcadia.

Noriyoshi Oba did train the new Team Shinobi, but most of them were disbanded and went to work for Capcom (/Platinum Games), Namco and Konami.

Toshihiro Nagoshi has trained 2 development teams.

Hisao Oguchi passed the torch to Mie Kumagi.

Yu Suzuki passed the torch (as well as Shenmue responsibility) to some body at AM2, I made about his successor years back, but since AM2 is rotting in the Arcades, I don't keep tabs on them.

You should read my other post "Why The Dreamcast? Part 1" It clearly illustrates how Sega and Arcade gaming died with the Dreamcast.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 11:35:50 am »
This is going offtopic and further discussion that does not involve Naka or what his game will be will be deteled without any further notice as talking about the future of SEGA or wither a faceless coperation is dead or not is not the discussion at hand. So get back on topic everyone.

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 01:44:26 pm »
Deletion is a bad idea cause it is rude!
I recommend dividing the discussion.

Anyway Yuji Naka's main mistake with Ivy was releasing it on Windows Phone. It is a very good game, and the Wii Version is a proper innovative and fun looking game. If we were seeing it for the first time this fall it would've made a stronger impression.

Instead the first build we saw featured a 25 level game, with the same backgrounds and for a Phone no one had ever heard off.

6 months later the game is ported to Wiiware/DSiWare and another 6 months later that same game is turning into a retail release. This time with 50 Levels featuring different backgrounds and music per level.

Weird?

Offline STORM!

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2010, 06:12:29 am »
Naka's newest game is coming by Kadokawa Games, and not by Sega.

Topic over!

First pic:

http://www.imagebam.com/image/fbe265103014666

Offline Alex Supersonic

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2010, 08:31:55 am »
Quote from: "STORM!"
Naka's newest game is coming by Kadokawa Games, and not by Sega.

Topic over!

First pic:

http://www.imagebam.com/image/fbe265103014666

I'm curious what this will be. But honestly, did he make any exciting game in the last years? Since 2006 he made Sonic 2006 which was awful, then Let's Tap, Let's Catch, Ivy the Kiwi and a platform game that was canned. So maybe we shouldn't expect too much (and I for sure don't)
[size=85]-----
former known as Ali[/size]