Author Topic: Do you guys think the 7th Generation of Consoles did well?  (Read 13999 times)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: Do you guys think the 7th Generation of Consoles did well?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 04:14:49 am »
I think Microsoft needs to really think on how they are managing their game business. I have a feeling that we will see a totally new team and/or them just moving on to set top boxes or maybe partner up with people to offer 'windows' on other devices (TVs, etc). I think the later is the smartest move and one that SEGA sorta already had (offering Dreamcast DVD players that played Dreamcast games etc.). I think instead of playing 'Xbox games', they just play games bought in the app store (obviously I rather have them use my steam collection, but this is Microsoft).

Offline Saturn Memories

• Total Meseta: 3
  • In orbit around 1996.
    • Saturn Memories
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 05:03:34 am »
I dunno. Surface, Windows Phone, and Xbox are all underperforming and Zune is dead. If Microsoft exits the video game market, it'll probably be part of a larger retreat from the consumer hardware business in general. If that's the case, there won't be any set top boxes.
Saturn Memories: A look back upon Sega in the mid-'90s. Featuring Saturn, ST-V, Model 2, and MORE!
Twitter: @SaturnMemories

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 12:39:32 pm »
Honestly I've been surprised that the market has been able to support 3 Consoles for 3 generations now.  Before that it seems like there was only room for 2.  Atari gave up (mostly) when Nintendo and SEGA came along, then SEGA gave up when there was Sony and Microsoft.  It seems like something's got to give, Microsoft or Nintendo, I suppose. 

Offline Saturn Memories

• Total Meseta: 3
  • In orbit around 1996.
    • Saturn Memories
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 06:00:15 pm »
Honestly I've been surprised that the market has been able to support 3 Consoles for 3 generations now.  Before that it seems like there was only room for 2.  Atari gave up (mostly) when Nintendo and SEGA came along, then SEGA gave up when there was Sony and Microsoft.  It seems like something's got to give, Microsoft or Nintendo, I suppose. 

The PlayStation brand is healthy and strong, but Sony is in much, much worse financial shape than either Microsoft or Nintendo. If their business operations as a whole continue to suffer, who knows how it'll affect PlayStation going forward.
Saturn Memories: A look back upon Sega in the mid-'90s. Featuring Saturn, ST-V, Model 2, and MORE!
Twitter: @SaturnMemories