Author Topic: Binary Domain Official Thread of Nagoshi Nagoshter  (Read 45779 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Binary Domain Official Thread of Nagoshi Nagoshter
« on: February 24, 2012, 04:54:07 pm »
Game is out in Europe so EuroBits members probably have it, for those who don't want waiting for cheap price, Amazon and Zavvi seem to have entered a price war that has made the game price go to £25!

Anyway what is everyone thinking about the game? Finished chapter one and so far loving it, decided to start on the hardest mode so far and still find it a bit too easy (Not that I have come close to dying!) but feeling a bit bored, not because the game is bad, but played or watched most of this chapter already! Probably going to take it nice and easy in the second chapter!

Very impressive for the team's first third person shooter, I hope this does indeed become a series for SEGA!

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
Re: Binary Domain Official Thread of Nagoshi Nagoshter
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 06:16:26 am »
I still think the Bosses are the highlight of this game, and it really irks me to see reviewers completely ignoring that part of the game.

It's easily the best bosses in any TPS.

Offline Suzuki Yu

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 08:01:26 am »
i finished the game last night on survival difficulty (360)
this is my favorite TPS campaign EVER. (apart from Uncharted series which isn't a Pure TPS experience anyway)
from where should i start?
good story, awesome twists by the end, superb cut-scenes as usual form the RGG team with great & seamless transition between the cut-scenes and gameplay in real time.
the pacing in this game is really Hot from the beginning till the end, a lot of diversity in action and locations, and a lot of great battle situations. 
tech wise it was impressive in different areas specially effects, explosions and particles, Models and the complexity animations of the enemies.
vending machines and upgrades, trust system and a working voice recognition were all a nice touches in the game.
great and satisfying shooting mechanics, great and unique AI for the enemies, huge variety of enemies with really good designs.... and above all that one of the best boss battles in all time and i mean it! the bosses in this game is beyond incredible!

what i don't like though was mostly your Squad constantly getting in your way of shooting.
also some minor issues with the main characters animations, and rarely frame drops at some crazy points.

what i am not sure about yet is of course the consequence system since i didn't start my second run yet.

if i would rate the campaign i will definitely give it a 9 out of 10
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 08:17:19 am by Suzuki Yu »

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 08:42:50 am »
I just like to echo what Yu Suzuki said . This is just incredible and keeps on getting better and better, the bosses are simply brilliant .

Such a shame that next to on-one knows its out and SEGA PR push for the game is utterly pathetic and non-existent
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline nuckles87

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 01:02:10 am »
Am I the only one who's voice recognition keeps randomly yelling things like "fuck" and "shit"? It's made the voice recognition completely unusable to me. Which is a shame, because I liked yelling those words at my team mates.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 02:41:39 am »
Doesn't the game calibrate and adjust to your voice? I think I heard something like that

Offline Shigs

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 03:16:40 am »
Just bought it yesterday and finished the first chapter. The in game facial animations are very expressive. I love how the robotic A.I. Operates. Even though they mainly just trudge forward, they WILL flank you when they can. I didn't bother with the mic stuff. It's been great stuff so far. Can't wait to play more after I wake up. On the negative, Dan's voice is still too low and the boxart is still horrible.
Grammar Expert Plus

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 06:23:36 am »
Just finished it last night! Sacrificed some sleep because of the final boss, here is my quick review.

Great points
- Bosses, highlight of the games and perhaps, along with Yakuza 3, MadWorld and kinda Bayonetta, the best boss battles this generation, forget the Grand Lancer, but some of these bosses are damn fine to fight and enjoyable to fight!
- Level variation and progress, this was great, never felt I stayed in one location too long and felt the story kept going like a great action film from the 90s
- Some of the characters are brilliant, especially love Cain, guy needs his own spinoff game
- The action setpieces are great stuff and helps the vary the game, plus fantastic to look at!

Good points
- Took me about 8 hours to complete on Survivor (The game's hard mode) settings, must have died about 15 times in there
- There literally are new enemies even towards the final chapter, really the game never gets staled and sort of laughs at games that indeed wants to limit itself to 15 odd baddies a game
- The script has numourous moments of good humour and dialogue is often quite good!
- Few of the onrail sections are great, though one particular one almost outstayed it's welcome (To be fair, playing it on hard probably had the effect)
- The atmosphere that is produced through the art direction really does suit this future Tokyo very well!

Bad points
- Disappointed in how the game concludes itself, seems a bit last minute and all and probably the weakest ending in all of the team's game (And I include Kenzan and Of the End in that) story was underwhelming too (Felt it needed another chapter or two)
- Felt a few of the characters were underdeveloped, compared to Yakuza's NPC characters are given even more backstory, disappointed in this
- Framerate drops on the Playstation 3 version
- Unlike the Yakuza games, there is no challenge box in Binary Domain so the replayability is on the short side (There are collectables in the levels though)

So in the end... I think an 8/10 (Excellent) is deserving of the title and probably my favourite third person shooter this generation, highly recommended for anyone who wants to shoot things.

In terms of favourite game out of Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio? Still think I prefer all four of the mainline Yakuza titles though! Just felt this game missed that extra chapter or two to push it above and beyond. Still eagerly look forward to a sequel if they made one, but since it's a failure, more than likely that will not be happening, oh well!

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 06:46:27 am »
"- Unlike the Yakuza games, there is no challenge box in Binary Domain so the replayability is on the short side (There are collectables in the levels though)"

What about the online multiplayer guys? I havent heard anything about that yet.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 06:51:51 am »
"- Unlike the Yakuza games, there is no challenge box in Binary Domain so the replayability is on the short side (There are collectables in the levels though)"

What about the online multiplayer guys? I havent heard anything about that yet.

I'm not an online person and I only really enjoy multiplayer when someone is next to me so...

0/10, must try harder next time.

PS Have not even touched the multiplayer yet, was more interested in the single player! But yeah you do have multiplayer that adds to that, but I would much rather have a challenge box than that if I am being perfectly honest.

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 10:56:15 am »
Am I the only one who's voice recognition keeps randomly yelling things like "fuck" and "shit"? It's made the voice recognition completely unusable to me. Which is a shame, because I liked yelling those words at my team mates.

Same problem, and I have to talk really loudly and expressively for the game to recognize my voice. Simply talking normal/monotone doesn't work and exhaling out of my mouth tends to get a "I have no idea what you just said" from my squadmates.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 11:27:35 am »
I had an issue with words starting with f, just picking them up randomly (Faye, Fuck etc) but there is an option to tell the game how much background noise there is in the option menu, see if that helps you out.

Also just checked my playthrough with someone else's playthrough, plus one of the trailers I saw. Do not quote me just yet, but it looks like this game is going to have multiple endings! Now just to figure out how I got the ending I did.

Offline Pao

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 02:24:51 pm »
Still think I prefer all four of the mainline Yakuza titles though! Just felt this game missed that extra chapter or two to push it above and beyond.
I think the game could have benefited from a few more Lower City levels.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 05:46:15 pm »
I think the game could have benefited from a few more Lower City levels.

Nah, it just needed another two chapters I felt, just so the story lasted longer and a bit longer, but it's still a fantastic game and if a sequel ever gets made (Considering how little it seems to have sold, doubtful!) I am sure they would improve the length of the game!

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 09:29:07 am »
So just verified, there are four different endings depending on the trust of certain characters, so whilst there are three normal endings, there is one that is indeed a GOOD ending. (Just changes the final cutscene and probably how hard the boss will be... That's about it)