Author Topic: Binary Domain Official Thread of Nagoshi Nagoshter  (Read 45781 times)

Offline CovertVector

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: Binary Domain Official Thread of Nagoshi Nagoshter
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2012, 06:27:18 pm »
 I just stared playing over the weekend and I'm having a blast so far!

Single Player: I'm only at Chapter 2, hopefully I'll meet Cain (?) soon. Not much else to say except I'm excited to see how the story progresses.

Multi Player: Played a couple of matches and had no lag in either game (no one else seemed to be lagging either). Now I just need to pay attention for claymores. ;_; Survival mode went surprisingly well; I had expected a lot more dying and we even made it to Wave 45 in my first game! :D

Now I just need to find more time to devote to the single-player.

Edit: Seeing as this is my first post, I guess I'll go ahead and say "Hello!" Nice to meet you all, and hopefully we can get in a few games of Binary Domain! :) (Hi Aki!)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 06:33:22 pm by CovertVector »

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2012, 06:33:05 pm »
Ain't got mine yet, because I know I wouldn't have time to play it right now. I'll wait until I finish the games I'm currently playing and then get it, or get it if I see it on special somewhere.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2012, 06:40:39 pm »
Ain't got mine yet, because I know I wouldn't have time to play it right now. I'll wait until I finish the games I'm currently playing and then get it, or get it if I see it on special somewhere.

Same here. I'll have the money for the game in a few weeks, and will have the time to play it then too. I considered buying it this weekend, and canceling a few Amazon pre-orders I had (blu-rays, mostly) to balance the price, but I don't have time to play it this week anyway.

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2012, 10:19:54 am »
its quite depressing really the lack of chat on this game on the forum

I've had the game since release, but I haven't had much time to play it. Otherwise, I'd be mouthing off like crazy about what was great and what felt half-assed.

I agree about it being more interesting than Gears 3, but it understandably has a away to go before reaching the heights of that series. Three titles and a multiplayer Beta are hard to catch up to on the first go, but Nagoshi's team has a done a respectable job at the design of this game with a few technical hiccups. The cinematics of BD though are pretty close to Vanquish at being the sharpest I've seen in a game (but with better story).

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2012, 10:28:45 am »
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 10:30:42 am by Barry the Nomad »

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2012, 11:36:02 am »
Well its time for those Sega PR guys to lose their jobs...

Top 40 Entertainment Software (All Prices), Week Ending 03 March 2012

1.SSX – ELECTRONIC ARTS
2.FIFA 12 – ELECTRONIC ARTS
3.MARIO PARTY 9 – NINTENDO
4.UNCHARTED: GOLDEN ABYSS – SONY COMPUTER ENT.
5.MARIO & SONIC LONDON 2012 OLYMPIC GAMES – SEGA
6.UFC UNDISPUTED 3 – THQ
7.CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 3 – ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
8.FIFA FOOTBALL – ELECTRONIC ARTS
9.ASSASSIN’S CREED: REVELATIONS – UBISOFT
10.BATTLEFIELD 3 – ELECTRONIC ARTS
11.SYNDICATE – ELECTRONIC ARTS
12.BATMAN: ARKHAM CITY – WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
13.THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM – BETHESDA SOFTWORKS
14.ZUMBA FITNESS – 505 GAMES
15.FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 – SQUARE ENIX EUROPE
16.RAYMAN ORIGINS – UBISOFT
17.JUST DANCE 3 – UBISOFT
18.SAINTS ROW: THE THIRD – THQ
19.UNCHARTED 3: DRAKE’S DECEPTION – SONY COMPUTER ENT.
20.RAGE – BETHESDA SOFTWORKS
21.SKYLANDERS: SPYRO’S ADVENTURE – ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
22.KINGDOMS OF AMALUR: RECKONING – ELECTRONIC ARTS
23.SUPER MARIO 3D LAND – NINTENDO
24.FORZA MOTORSPORT 4 – MICROSOFT
25.METAL GEAR SOLID HD COLLECTION – KONAMI
26.ZUMBA FITNESS 2 – 505 GAMES
27.FALLOUT: NEW VEGAS ULTIMATE EDITION – BETHESDA SOFTWORKS
28.F1 2011 – CODEMASTERS
29.MOSHI MONSTERS: MOSHLING ZOO – MIND CANDY
30.LEGO PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN – DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS
31.MARIO KART 7 – NINTENDO
32.LEGO HARRY POTTER: YEARS 5-7 – WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
33.THE DARKNESS II – TAKE 2
34.SONIC GENERATIONS – SEGA
35.THE SIMS 3 – ELECTRONIC ARTS
36.SKATE 3 – ELECTRONIC ARTS
37.THE SIMS 3: PETS – ELECTRONIC ARTS
38.DEAD ISLAND – KOCH MEDIA
39.BINARY DOMAIN – SEGA
40.CARS 2 – DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS

I've seen SSX plastered all over the place in the UK and nothing on BD which is a big game. And who gets the highest chart position? The game advertised. Can Sega be that suprised of its bad showing especially in the UK where Sega games usually sell stronger over here? And it isn't even a strong release week for big games which is even greater the crime that Sega PR has committed. Not good enough at all considering the legacy of Sega's marketing of the past this is what were stuck with now. Too many big Sega games have flopped because of these guys its time for a major rethink.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 11:39:45 am by ROJM »

Offline SEGA_Portuguese

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2012, 11:51:11 am »
Ruby was asking for the fans to talk about Yakuza DS for all friends on SEGA official forum, then i said:

Well, im gonna do everything i can to help Yakuza, but really, i dont know if makes difference. I did a lot of things to help Binary Domain and in the end the european sales was horrible the same way. I cant put in words how much sad i am because the sales of Binary Domain.

And Ruby answered me:

The most important thing is that you chose to support the game and did your part. If you give up, how can you ever succeed in helping a game you love grow? Some battles are hard, and you won't always win - but often, it's making the effort that is what really counts.

I'll also voice some support for Binary - fans of Dead Souls and the Yakuza franchise should definitely check it out.

I respect Ruby a lot, but the fans can't do miracles. 

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2012, 12:08:27 pm »
Yeah but I would expect this site more than most to be talking about this game, but even this site is a letdown about this brilliant game.

Well unless Sonic isnt involved you don't get an 80 page talkback. You can't have a proper discussion on VF or any non sonic sega game without someone mentioning sonic this or that. And if you don't mention it the topic dies a quick death. But that really comes to the average age of most of the posters in here. which would be around 17-20 something. I'm way outside that age bracket and remember a time when Sega made games before sonic was a blue blink in anyone's eye. So its depressing to see that its hardly the big thing in the forums. Apart from the fact or in my case i'm still playing the game. 

Val Chronicles I can sort of understand - It wasn't multi platform and it was on the PS3 at the time when the system was really expensive , plus its it was a game in a really limited genre. Vanquished I know , but I really don't consider that to be A SEGA game (please lets not get into a debate about it, I just don't)

It is one, A Sega second party game. In the fine tradition of many second party Sega games over the decades.
It doesn't matter if you do or not acept it as a sega game, the profits was the thing that sega would benefit from. or didn't as much  in VANQUISH's case.

Maybe in Japan, but I doubt SOJ have much say on PR for the West  Japan isn't the problem this game needs to sell well in the west . SEGA will spend millions and millions on pushing a game like Sonic (which don't really need a big push) and not spend anything on pushing a brand new IP (where it needs a big push) . I'm getting sick of this now, and this has been the case since the death of the DC , where SEGA's PR is totally and utterly inept.

TA, Sega is a centralised operation nowadays, SOJ has more control over Sega west (especially since SoE and SOA have merged) than they did under the wild west cowboy gold rush days of Kalinske's SOA. If Nagoshi is in charge of Sega's brand name that will include ALL Sega operations not just japan. And Nagoshi has had his run in with western Sega PR more than once so he's well aware that they need the change most of all.

Shame this game is a stunning achievement on almost every level and for me blows Gears III out of the water , can only imagine what the team could do with a sequel , shame then if this games bombs we'll never get to see it .I'm the 1st to have a pop at SEGA Japan and their next gen piple lines and games, but this game is just stunning and totally brilliant and the best SEGA Japan I've played since Orta  (well maybe Yakuza II) - Its harks back to the SEGA of old :- Stunning next gen gfx, brilliant sound and where SEGA take an established genre and puts their own unique spin on it .

This game deservers so much more .
I won't disagree with that apart i'd say is the best Sega produced game since ORTA and the best Sega game i've played since RGG and that's down to originality or offering new elements in a estabilshed genre. Even though i don't think its a real finished product.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 06:50:25 am by ROJM »

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2012, 12:55:20 pm »
Hey ROJM, that's dissapointing to say the least... I agree that SEGA really isn't knowing what they're doing. I mean even if the marketing would cost too much money in order for binary domain to make profit, the IP needs recognition and alot of IP start this way to go big with the sequel. Dead space is a great example of that.

But if I may ask, for what region/country is  that? The game has been getting alot of positive reactions, and sometimes word of mouth can help a game as well.

Anyway, still very sad

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2012, 03:08:51 pm »
I've seen SSX plastered all over the place in the UK and nothing on BD which is a big game. And who gets the highest chart position? The game advertised.

To be fair, SSX is also an established IP that hasn't seen a game for a while. It doesn't help that most people are saving up for Mass Effect 3... so few new IPs are gonna make a dent right away at $60 a pop.

When I walked into Gamestop and said I was here to pick up a preorder, the sales rep imediately asked if it was SSX. I declined and said Binary Domain, and she replied "Oh! You're that guy."  :(

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2012, 05:18:38 pm »
Sega West market so badly they have pretty much killed off a bunch of potential great series...
Vanquish, Valkyria Chonicles and now Binary Domain. They could have all been huge, At least Bayonetta managed to escape their nonsense and strike out on word of mouth.

Made by SEGA

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2012, 06:21:40 pm »
Well, the sales for Binary Domain are a little bleak, that's a given. Like many of Nagoshi's games, Japanese sales are where most of the profit comes from.

I expected an even worse drop (Valkyria Chronicles was dead on arrival), but I just cling to the hope that Binary Domain will be a slow burn. Hopefully word of mouth will help.

The game's been getting a lot more attention after it's release. The latest is Howcast Gaming who is doing a major playthrough(warning: spoilers)

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLABB49B9E21D302A7&feature=plcp

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2012, 06:55:23 pm »
Has Segabits ever tried to approach a marketing person from Sega for an interview? It seems that Sega's marketing get's bashed from pillar to post on these forums, it would be interesting to actually ask them the hard questions. Sega probably doesn't want to give too much away but it would be good to actually get a conversation going to see the reasons they felt BD shouldn't get a lot of spending for marketing etc.

One thing that's important to note is that games are given set budgets for marketing not by the Marketing people themselves, but by the management. If they are only given a shoe-string budget to spend on BD then theres not a lot they can really do, and it's unfair to berate them for not having TV campaigns etc which would cost a fortune.

Of course this just directs the anger towards management instead, but again it would be good to get some insight.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2012, 07:59:35 pm »
Quote from: MadeManG74
One thing that's important to note is that games are given set budgets for marketing not by the Marketing people themselves, but by the management. If they are only given a shoe-string budget to spend on BD then theres not a lot they can really do, and it's unfair to berate them for not having TV campaigns etc which would cost a fortune.

Well, I think you pretty much said it all right there, and I'd be surprised if any PR people would be candid enough to say the same thing.  All they would say is they do the best with what they have.

Offline SEGA_Portuguese

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2012, 09:40:07 pm »
Do you guys know if this is a good headset for Binary Domain?

http://www.itechnews.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Sony-PS3-Bluetooth-Headset-2.0.jpg

There is the other one, but that one is too much expensive. I was thinking in buy this one, but i'm afraid maybe will not work well with BD.