Author Topic: Pocahontas on the Mega Drive /Genesis is stunning.  (Read 7565 times)

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Pocahontas on the Mega Drive /Genesis is stunning.
« on: July 20, 2016, 02:56:18 am »

Being a boy and there for having no time for girly things like Pocahontas, I totally missed out a game that looks absolutely incredible!
Just have a quick watch of this walk through... The animations, the enviroments are all really nice. I would say it was really ahead of its time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJyVDW_PcoM
Made by SEGA

Offline Nathan Dunsmore

• Total Meseta: 2
Re: Pocahontas on the Mega Drive /Genesis is stunning.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 03:18:17 am »
Yes. On a system full of great Disney titles this one is pretty underrated. Maybe one day the unfinished Snes proto will turn up.

http://www.snescentral.com/article.php?id=0091

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 08:15:44 am »
Oh for sure! I recall renting this way back in the day and the first level looks just awesome. I love all the little touches like her hair moving and the leaves floating past.

Another Disney Genesis game that looks very nice is Pinocchio. Not as good as Pocahontas though. I really need to find a CIB copy, because it is one my favorite Disney movies and children's books.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0y37A9YsNc

Offline Sharky

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 01:38:46 pm »
Is that Pinocchio game done on the Micky engine? Something about it and the way he moves really reminds me of the Micky games like World of Illusion.
Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 03:13:54 pm »
I believe so, likely borrows what they used for Mickey Mania and Aladdin. Oh man... Sonic Mania made me really want to play Mickey Mania. If you'll excuse me.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 04:55:51 pm »
World of Illusion is where it's at, used to play that shit 2player nonstop with my best friend back in the day.
Made by SEGA

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 08:03:49 pm »
Being a boy and there for having no time for girly things like Pocahontas, I totally missed out a game that looks absolutely incredible!
Just have a quick watch of this walk through... The animations, the enviroments are all really nice. I would say it was really ahead of its time.

What? Only the looks, the animations, and the environments?
How about the music? The music is nice too.   ;)
On the other hand, the sound though is kinda horrible. Pocahontas sounds like a man.

I remember enjoying playing this game too back then.
Love the relaxing music and the discovering of new powers.
But still it's not one of my top three favorite Disney game on SEGA Genesis
(World of Illusion, Quack Shot, and Aladdin).

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 09:44:09 am »
Anybody here play Dick Tracy on the Genesis/MD? Game was pretty much like Shinobi. I love that game. It was so cool at the time to be able to fight enemies on two planes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zZ2xXUvn6w

Offline Sharky

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 02:21:45 pm »
I've got Dick Tracy and it was always one of my favourites as a kid...
Made by SEGA

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 02:37:58 am »
World of Illusion is where it's at, used to play that shit 2player nonstop with my best friend back in the day.

It was a game ahead of it's time in terms of co-op . Me and best mate (who also was my next door neighbour at the time) Played the Co-Op endlessly . Awesome game (though Quackshot was my fav)  and to me the best looking 2D game on the Mega Drive at the time .

It really makes me sick that SEGA Japan never had it's teams make a sequel to this or Streets Of Rage on the Saturn using the full power of the monster 2D console . They could have looked stunning using the 2D power of the Saturn
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 04:45:41 am »
Although I agree and like 2D games, I think at the time any serious push for 2D would probably have flopped as 3D was the "in" thing.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 05:15:23 am »
Although I agree and like 2D games, I think at the time any serious push for 2D would probably have flopped as 3D was the "in" thing.

Games like Sonic needed to be in 3D on the Saturn. But 2D Mickey Mouse game with visuals like Astal could have done ok and a Streets Of Rage IV running on the Saturn with Huge sprites, 4 player mode and Yuzo pumping soundtrack would have done ok too .
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure