Author Topic: Your Favorite Movies of 2011  (Read 4490 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Your Favorite Movies of 2011
« on: December 29, 2011, 05:24:18 pm »
Another year, another slew of movies! Though I'll admit, it was a weak year. Probably just because next year promises a lot of BIG movies like The Hobbit and Dark Knight Rises. What were your favorite flicks of 2011?

Me?

The Muppets

This one really surprised me. I expected it to be so-so, maybe on par with Muppets Treasure Island, but instead it was as good as the originals and on par with the first. Very catchy songs (Pictures In My Head and Man or Muppet), tons of nostalgia and great use of the classic characters. A definite "A" film.

X-Men First Class

After one so-so and one shit movie, the X-Men franchise was dead to me. Thankfully, First Class brought things back to X2 levels. Loved that this was not a reboot, but rather a prequel. Great story, effects, action and I really liked the period setting. Another "A" quality movie.

HP 7.2

Feels odd calling this a 2011 film, probably because the movie really began in 2010 and in my opinion should have ended that same year (still in two parts, but less of a wait between movies). Great finale to a great series of movies that only got better as the series went on.

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn

I'm one of those elitest American Tintin fans who can claim to not only know who he is, but had read a majority of the books back in the early '90's. I loved the series as comics, and liked the movie adaptation a LOT. Sure, it lacks the visual style of the comics, but to be honest I prefer the fresh take. We've already had TWO cartoon series adapt the books, so why not a realistic take? A live action version would look hokey (see Robin William's Popeye) and a overly stylized live action take a la Sin City or Dick Tracy wouldn't work. The original score was classic John Williams, the action scenes were clever as hell (the six minute single shot chase through the city was genius!) and the casting was spot on. Haddock was hilarious. Oh yeah, and the settings and locations were amazing! Another "A" effort.

I did like Thor and Captain America, but both felt like setups for a much better film (The Avengers). Both were good, but I felt they held back a bit too much. Thor felt too small, and Captain America felt too rushed. Still, they make the list.

Oddly enough, no realistic movies caught my eye this year. I saw a lot of non-fiction and grounded in reality movies, but none stuck with me. No King's Speech or No Country For Old Men in 2011. They're all comic book adaptations, a fantasy book adaptation and a bunch of puppets.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 05:28:56 pm by Barry the Nomad »

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: Your Favorite Movies of 2011
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 08:49:06 pm »

Amazing movie.

Also, I'm planning to see Tintin this weekend or next week sometime. Looking forward to it.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 04:37:38 am »
Best Movies I've seen all year?

X-Men First Class

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows - Part 2

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

Rango

Then here's also a few of them that while not the best of the best were very good:

The Thing
Battle: Los Angeles <- It kicks the crap out of Transformers 3.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 09:37:21 am »

I have to go with TinTin, It really was a masterpeice and I think it did the old comics and even the cartoons incredible justice.

Unlike the Smurfs movie, which was probably the biggest load of crap released in 2011.
Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 10:30:42 am »
I have to go with TinTin, It really was a masterpeice and I think it did the old comics and even the cartoons incredible justice.

Unlike the Smurfs movie, which was probably the biggest load of crap released in 2011.

After seeing the movie, I rewatched the 90's cartoon versions (read the books long ago) and thought Spielberg did a good job in combining three books into one narrative. It felt pretty natural, and made things fresh enough that even if you knew the books by heart, you'd be surprised by moments in the film.

The movie was basically: Secret of the Unicorn (replacing the Bird Brothers with Sakharine as the villain) -> The Crab with the Golden Claws (replacing the drug smuggling with the ship being under Sakharine's control, though smuggling may have been going on in the background) -> Red Rackham's Treasure (sticking together the middle and the end, both of which take place at Marlinspike Hall)

It was actually quite a genius and seamless way of combining three stories.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 11:58:57 am »
I havent read or watched the cartoon in years now and I've forgotten a lot of details but I recognised the story archs in the movie.

One cartoon which always stuck with me was the one that involved some sort of trams or buses and a shoot out as they travelled up the side of a mountain, it was really intense when I was a kid! I would like to see it in the next Tintin movie.
Made by SEGA