Author Topic: Binary Domain trailer "Bigger than you think"  (Read 21806 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Binary Domain trailer "Bigger than you think"
« on: January 11, 2012, 09:46:59 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceTpSrIBNC0

No it's not a boss battle trailer unfortunately! But it's still a very good and fantastic trailer, with only a month till launch, I suppose SEGA is going to start ramping up the marketing for this game, which this title needs.

So yes, fantastic but still no hoping giant robot spiders in the trailer.

Offline SEGA_Portuguese

• Total Meseta: 5
Re: Binary Domain trailer "Bigger than you think"
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 11:54:11 am »
Just a comment about the box art: if you look well, the dude in the back of Dan has a injury in the leg. i am sorry if i am the only one that only saw this now lol, or others people didnt saw too?

I dont change my opinion about being a bad box art, but, after seeing this injury, i think the idea of the box is that, Dan is running from the battle to save a injuried friend and shooting in the robots standing in the way. And  the 2 others characters are protecting his back. I think this is the spirit of the game, the teamwork.

I am sorry if i am being too obvious, but i only get this idea now.

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 11:56:02 am »
Well glad to see Sega of Europe, at least, acting like this game exists. If only Sega of America would do the same.

Edit; Ah, good, they did, it's up on Sega Blog.

It is a great trailer. If they do end up advertising the game on TV (which they'd better) they should feature this song in it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 12:02:45 pm by -nSega54- »

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 06:39:50 pm »
It is a great trailer. If they do end up advertising the game on TV (which they'd better) they should feature this song in it.

TV advertising is hugely expensive and it's not a silver bullet to get sales. Binary Domain is a new franchise and is pretty hardcore-centric which leads me to think they would be better off targeting hardcore gamers through magazines, websites etc rather than going for mass-market by throwing money into TV. TV money would be better spent on stuff like Sonic and... Football manager in the UK I guess.

I know this is going to open a can of beans, but I felt the need to put my 2c in here.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 06:48:28 pm »
Gears of War is a hardcore-centric title, but then again with Microsoft's budget...

This trailer is another nice mix of cutscenes(which I have no doubt that we'll be looking at plenty of those during this game) with actual gameplay.

It's curious, because the game is coming out close to another major Nagoshi project, Yakuza: Dead Souls.
Two Nagoshi titles in less than a month apart.

January barely saw any released titles, which is weird. But Febuary is going to be a tough month.

There's Final Fantasy XIII-2, which I bet people will buy, despite the negative flack the first one got, they are hyping up this game as an apology of sorts. Then Neverdead, the MGS HD Collection and Catherine.

Gonna be a tough one.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 07:36:03 pm »
Does the game include hubs where you walk around and interact with stuff? Like non-combat locals with more interact with the environment sort of stuff? Or is it combat + cutscenes? I'm cool if it's just that, but I'd love to explore places within the world they created in a non-combat mode every so often. Yakuza does that sort of thing.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 09:14:27 pm »
It's curious, because the game is coming out close to another major Nagoshi project, Yakuza: Dead Souls.
Two Nagoshi titles in less than a month apart.

My body is ready.

Does the game include hubs where you walk around and interact with stuff? Like non-combat locals with more interact with the environment sort of stuff? Or is it combat + cutscenes? I'm cool if it's just that, but I'd love to explore places within the world they created in a non-combat mode every so often. Yakuza does that sort of thing.

Walk around town, find a robot in a hoodie
"Hey pal, you're real lucky... lucky in that you get to give me your microchips!"
VS
Street Thug Robots

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 01:45:57 pm »

Does that sort of thing? It's exactly what Yakuza does! But no, SEGA have not said anything about an open world or hub areas but this video on the 4 minute 40 mark shows an area where the character can interact with other NPCs and go round town.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACWv10vi4Ps

Walk around town, find a robot in a hoodie
"Hey pal, you're real lucky... lucky in that you get to give me your microchips!"
VS
Street Thug Robots

Yakuza in the Shell?! Ghost in the Yakuza?!

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 02:00:42 pm »
Does that sort of thing? It's exactly what Yakuza does! But no, SEGA have not said anything about an open world or hub areas but this video on the 4 minute 40 mark shows an area where the character can interact with other NPCs and go round town.

Thanks for the link! That's pretty cool. The game gives off such a Snatcher vibe that I guess I'm just jonesing for a little exploring. Talking to folks, etc.

Offline Ben

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 03:51:26 pm »
TV advertising is hugely expensive and it's not a silver bullet to get sales. Binary Domain is a new franchise and is pretty hardcore-centric which leads me to think they would be better off targeting hardcore gamers through magazines, websites etc rather than going for mass-market by throwing money into TV. TV money would be better spent on stuff like Sonic and... Football manager in the UK I guess.

I know this is going to open a can of beans, but I felt the need to put my 2c in here.

This is a game looking like it's catering to shooter fans. Shooter fans are the types of people who sit around their TVs watching football and wrestling and all that jazz. You want a cool-looking commercial in there.

New IP need to spread their wings wide in order to become successful. Narrowing down the marketing reach to the increasingly small group who reads video game magazines won't do anything to get a new brand off the ground. Website ads I think get ignored by most people.

If you want to see how an incredible TV ad campaign has helped get new IP off the ground, look no further than Gears of War.

Sega's "let's not do TV" strategy didn't work well for Vanquish in North America, I don't see why they'd try that again.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 03:53:17 pm by -nSega54- »

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 06:46:56 pm »
This is a game looking like it's catering to shooter fans. Shooter fans are the types of people who sit around their TVs watching football and wrestling and all that jazz. You want a cool-looking commercial in there.

New IP need to spread their wings wide in order to become successful. Narrowing down the marketing reach to the increasingly small group who reads video game magazines won't do anything to get a new brand off the ground. Website ads I think get ignored by most people.

If you want to see how an incredible TV ad campaign has helped get new IP off the ground, look no further than Gears of War.

Sega's "let's not do TV" strategy didn't work well for Vanquish in North America, I don't see why they'd try that again.

And those people watching football etc already have Call of Duty, Battlefield 3, Halo and Gears of War, which is what they will be playing and buying. They probably only buy 2 or 3 games a year and they'll get the ones that they can play with all their friends and that they know they like (because they played the last 4 COD gams for example). Binary Domain TV ads might reach some of those people but I think Sega is better off not throwing huge amounts of money at TV ads and spending it on getting awareness with gamers more open-minded to trying out new games. Gamers who know what Yakuza is, who Nagoshi is, and will understand the finer details of the game that they can push. And I'm talking about using Magazines and internet as in getting interviews and articles in there, where they can actually showcase the features of the game.

I'm not saying TV isn't a great tool, but at the end of the day you can't just put something on TV and expect people to pay attention to it.

I understand that new IPs need to get off the ground, but that doesn't mean that they have budgets that can support massive investments into marketing, which is what TV would require. At the end of the day they need to see a return on investment and new IPs are always risky, especially with the mass market.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 06:48:39 pm by MadeManG74 »

Offline Ben

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 12:42:15 pm »
Gamers who know what Yakuza is, who Nagoshi is, and will understand the finer details of the game that they can push. And I'm talking about using Magazines and internet as in getting interviews and articles in there, where they can actually showcase the features of the game.

There are plenty of CoD fans who buy more than 2-3 games a year....there are some who play CoD exclusively of course but not all. Probably not the majority, in fact.

Anyway, if you want to market it to Yakuza fans you're talking about 100,000-200,000 people, at most. Not a big number. Saying it's a shooter from the director of Super Monkey Ball is also going to trigger more of a "wtf" reaction than anything else, I think, lol. 

I'm not saying we need a media blitz but a basic TV campaign (Bayonetta had one, MadWorld had one,) would work wonders.

Here's the thing. This is a game people need to see in motion. The name is bland, the boxart is bland, the characters look bland. Print ads will not sell this game. You will need to show it in motion.

Look at Vanquish...game had an amazing gameplay mechanic (the low HP slow-mo) that was later copied for games like Mass Effect 2, as well as its awesome slides. Sega of America refused to do TV ads, so people never got to see these ideas in motion, thereefore, had no idea what was so distinct about the game. Vanquish was one of Sega's biggest missed opportunities this gen.

Sega Europe advertised Vanquish;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_dlj5MYI5M

Something like that would have really been awesome in America. Binary Domain should have something like that.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 01:16:43 pm by -nSega54- »

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 04:32:34 pm »
Look at Vanquish...game had an amazing gameplay mechanic (the low HP slow-mo) that was later copied for games like Mass Effect 2

Don't you mean Mass Effect 3?

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 06:40:07 pm »
Yakuza in the Shell?! Ghost in the Yakuza?!

I would be all over this this if it happens!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACWv10vi4Ps
Great!

Offline Ben

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 10:56:58 pm »
Don't you mean Mass Effect 3?

Mass Effect 2 had it too; your character went into bullet time mode when he was low on HP.

Great!

Indeed.