Author Topic: Binary Domain trailer "Bigger than you think"  (Read 21791 times)

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
Re: Binary Domain trailer "Bigger than you think"
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 12:07:14 am »
Mass Effect 2 had it too; your character went into bullet time mode when he was low on HP.

But didn't ME2 come before Vanquish?

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 12:59:49 am »
Hm....haha; indeed, it looks like it did!

Well, either way, my point is that the feature (as was used in Vanquish) was one that needed to be seen in motion to have proved why it was so distinctive.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 03:54:30 pm »
You know what? I honestly forget how different the US market is to the Australian one. I think I agree with you now on the TV advertising. I'm thinking of the Australian market where we have one single TV show about gaming on TV and it's on a public station during the graveyard shift. I see ads for games so rarely on Australian TV it's only the blockbuster titles that actually get any air-time and even then it's on very late at night that the ads are aired. (with the exception of Nintendo ads which are everywhere and filled with Australian celebs waggling things).

So you know what, I actually agree with you and they would do well to put some good TV spots on during gaming shows and the like!

Offline Ben

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 05:03:46 pm »
haha yeah I mean I'm not saying they need to spend billions on it but commercials to let people know the game's out there and show why it's so distinct would I think really help it.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 06:56:00 pm »
Sega Europe advertised Vanquish;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_dlj5MYI5M

Something like that would have really been awesome in America. Binary Domain should have something like that.

It bombed here too, it bombed terribly, it lasted in the UK charts for only two weeks and did not even enter the French charts. Vanquish is a poor example to use because it is not the type of game that people will get anyway, its like modern Sonic, it's just not the cup of tea for everyone. So I do not really agree it was a missed opportunity.

That being said I would hope they would invest in marketing on Binary Domain, but television ads is not the only means to getting a game to be a big success (Just watch how poorly certain titles, like Home Front, Sonic Generations etc have performed despite having ads) they have to make sure there are other things that compliment the television adverts. Though this short delay is more to do with the marketing rather than the development of the actual game.

Offline Ben

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2012, 11:48:06 am »
It bombed here too, it bombed terribly, it lasted in the UK charts for only two weeks and did not even enter the French charts. Vanquish is a poor example to use because it is not the type of game that people will get anyway, its like modern Sonic, it's just not the cup of tea for everyone. So I do not really agree it was a missed opportunity.

That being said I would hope they would invest in marketing on Binary Domain, but television ads is not the only means to getting a game to be a big success (Just watch how poorly certain titles, like Home Front, Sonic Generations etc have performed despite having ads) they have to make sure there are other things that compliment the television adverts. Though this short delay is more to do with the marketing rather than the development of the actual game.

I'm not sure how Vanquish is "not everyone's cup of tea" yet Binary Domain is a different scenario, to be honest. I guess Binary Domain might follow  the lines of a more standard Third Person shooter but then again, it has likely gigantic and incredibly long cutscenes, which some probably won't like.

Sonic Generations performed poorly because Sega neglected to release a Wii version, therefore missing out on a giant portion of the fanbase. I called that one months ago. Homefront got mediocre reviews and was short.

I agree TV commercials are not a "be-all-end-all" but in the case of action games, I feel that they're a necessity, a necessary part of a bigger marketing plan.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2012, 12:43:21 pm »
I'm not sure how Vanquish is "not everyone's cup of tea" yet Binary Domain is a different scenario, to be honest. I guess Binary Domain might follow  the lines of a more standard Third Person shooter but then again, it has likely gigantic and incredibly long cutscenes, which some probably won't like.

Most people would not enjoy boosting around an arena at such fast speed plus dying so very easily is, as shown by Sonic the Hedgehog, hardly an accessible type of game and to some people not very enjoyable either.

And Binary Domain will have cutscenes, plenty, this is not so much an issue now considering how many games have such lengthy storylines now. Though it should be noted, the longer the game, the more acceptible one is to the length of the cutscenes. If Binary Domain is only 6 hours of gameplay but has 4 hours of cutscenes, this will be offputting. If the game has 16 hours of gameplay but 4 hours of cutscenes, most would be fine with that.

Sonic Generations performed poorly because Sega neglected to release a Wii version, therefore missing out on a giant portion of the fanbase. I called that one months ago.

Sonic Generations is selling faster than Sonic Colours and Sonic Unleashed. The lack of a Wii version is not the reason why it intially did so poorly. The Xbox 360 version of Sonic Generations is selling faster than the Nintendo Wii version of Sonic Colours.

Homefront got mediocre reviews and was short.

I will give you the mediocre part but not the short part, most of the big first person shooters in recent years can be completed in a short amount of time, the focus for them is on multiplayer.

I agree TV commercials are not a "be-all-end-all" but in the case of action games, I feel that they're a necessity, a necessary part of a bigger marketing plan.

I did not argue that, I am just saying showing ads will not be enough to sustain/build hype, they need to ensure a good demo that shows off the game and multiplayer. Add to that developer interviews (Especially saying that the director of Yakuza 3, a man involved in F-Zero, Monkey Ball, Yakuza and Daytona and the man behind Jet Set Radio and worked on Panzer Dragoon, are all part of this project) plus various trailers and the game will be a success.

Offline Ben

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 09:30:18 pm »
Sonic Generations is selling faster than Sonic Colours and Sonic Unleashed. The lack of a Wii version is not the reason why it intially did so poorly. The Xbox 360 version of Sonic Generations is selling faster than the Nintendo Wii version of Sonic Colours.

Well, Sonic Generations was also much better promoted than Colors....Colors was advertised exclusively as a kids game; at first people thought it was a "Storybook Series" game. Generations was given a massive fan push and a much larger marketing campaign.

The Xbox 360 version of Sonic Generations is selling faster than the Nintendo Wii version of Sonic Colours.

Source? Just curious.

I did not argue that, I am just saying showing ads will not be enough to sustain/build hype, they need to ensure a good demo that shows off the game and multiplayer. Add to that developer interviews (Especially saying that the director of Yakuza 3, a man involved in F-Zero, Monkey Ball, Yakuza and Daytona and the man behind Jet Set Radio and worked on Panzer Dragoon, are all part of this project) plus various trailers and the game will be a success.

Well, I certainly agree with that. A commercial alone is never enough, that's why I was getting on Sega's case all this time for lack of media coverage for the game until rather recently.

As far as saying that the director of "Yakuza 3, Monkey Ball, Daytona, and someone who worked on JSR and Panzer Dragon,"................that's going to do nothing to sell the game, lol. Most people don't know what any of those games are and Monkey Ball will be more than a little off-putting to most action game fans. I doubt Sega can hype the F-Zero thing, that being a Nintendo franchise.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 02:44:40 am »
Well, Sonic Generations was also much better promoted than Colors....Colors was advertised exclusively as a kids game; at first people thought it was a "Storybook Series" game. Generations was given a massive fan push and a much larger marketing campaign.

People who thought that only thought that on concept. But it cannot be both ways, effectively Generations 360 has proven that SEGA does not need just a Nintendo version of the game to sell so well. The problem was not marketing, but a wide range of issues (Bad demo, for one, completely misrepresented modern Sonic)

Source? Just curious.

European charts. America may swing favour to the way of Sonic Colours but I highly doubt that.

Well, I certainly agree with that. A commercial alone is never enough, that's why I was getting on Sega's case all this time for lack of media coverage for the game until rather recently.

I think the lack of media from late October to mid-December was understandble. The fact is no one is going to pay too much attention to a game when 20 other big AAA games are about to hit. That they have picked up the slack and delayed the game for marketing is good indication in my books.

As far as saying that the director of "Yakuza 3, Monkey Ball, Daytona, and someone who worked on JSR and Panzer Dragon,"................that's going to do nothing to sell the game, lol. Most people don't know what any of those games are and Monkey Ball will be more than a little off-putting to most action game fans. I doubt Sega can hype the F-Zero thing, that being a Nintendo franchise.

It is how SEGA of Japan marketed Nagoshi. He is now on the same level as Kojima in Japan.

But most people would know Panzer Dragoon and Jet Set Radio (The most recent title, Orta & Future, sold over 200,000 and 100,000 in America respectively if I recall correctly) Daytona was the biggest arcade success in history, it is/was bigger than most series today. There was a lot of hype for Binary Domain before the first trailer, mainly because of Nagoshi's pedigree, I do not see why they should not use that again.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2012, 03:39:00 am »

That will really mean nothing to the Mass market people for lots of reasons but mainly that Panzer Dragoon, JSR, F-Zero (Cube) and even Daytona USA on both the Saturn and DC did not sell well that well and in the West in the West Yakuza, Panzer Dragoon mean very very little.
SEGA needed to learn the lessons on what Capcom  did for it's new IP and that's a nice big early demo like Capcom did with Last Planet and Dead Rising, Then that backed that up with a 2 week TV campaign (like Capcom did with LP) when the game hit retail

So SEGA needs to get a demo out very soon-ish and then spend a bit of money on a TV adv . Just run this add with the final build footage,  its simply ace

http://youtu.be/0v9pt8obwsE?t=42s

There are plenty of CoD fans who buy more than 2-3 games a year....there are some who play CoD exclusively of course but not all. Probably not the majority, in fact.

Spot on these are the Die hard games and not the casuals who bring their Wii out very Christmas when the family come over . These are the very gamers SEGA needs with this game and the likes of Alien Marines
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 03:41:59 am by Team Andromeda »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2012, 05:54:40 am »
That will really mean nothing to the Mass market people for lots of reasons but mainly that Panzer Dragoon, JSR, F-Zero (Cube) and even Daytona USA on both the Saturn and DC did not sell well that well and in the West in the West Yakuza, Panzer Dragoon mean very very little.

I am not going to bother responding to that claim on F-Zero and more so on Daytona.

SEGA is expecting only a million out of this, clearly not aiming for the mass market with that target and I believe that is how they should aim for with a new IP, its the sequel that should demostrate any level of growth towards that market.

But again, I think both of you and nSEGA have missed the point I was making, the point was not to ensure that this is the only thing SEGA markets, the point was SEGA markets everything possible with this title ranging from adverts, demos, hands-on, interviews, trailers, developer diaries etc a complete marketing blitz. I do not see what harm this will do to the title for getting the faces of Nagoshi, Kikuchi or Sato to be presented to the public.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2012, 07:27:13 am »
I am not going to bother responding to that claim on F-Zero and more so on Daytona.

I don't know why . F-Zero didn't do that great on the Cube and Daytona USA on the Saturn and Dreamcst was a complete flop -more so for the DC version. 

SEGA is expecting only a million out of this

? That is mass Market and what most developers hope for that a selling a million plus full price copies and if you don't sell a million copies in today's High Def world its very hard to get a sequel green light

the point was SEGA markets everything possible with this title ranging from adverts, demos, hands-on, interviews, trailers, developer diaries etc a complete marketing blitz.

That is more or less what every developer and publisher does and we've let to get a demo of the game. Now SEGA needs to get a demo out and ready a BIG TV push for the game come next month . If it doesn't it have a hard time selling a new IP today's market .Just look at Saints Row for the one time laughing stock that was THQ- Early demo and massive TV ad blits for a couple of weeks , or less what Capcom, Ubisoft and most the rest do anytime they're bring out a new IP . SEGA really needs to do the same , because this looks a quality production.
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2012, 08:08:43 am »
I don't know why . F-Zero didn't do that great on the Cube and Daytona USA on the Saturn and Dreamcst was a complete flop -more so for the DC version. 

Because there is no need to, but if you want me to respond, fine. F-Zero got player's choice in Europe and America. 250,000 units in each area for the Gamecube is a great figure and likely it sold more. It sold a further 100,000 in Japan. The least it did was 600,000 units. That is being kind and saying it stopped selling a year after release.

Daytona is the most successful arcade game ever, the fact it was on a dead on arrival console and then on a less dead on arrival but later it was dead too console is not an indication of anything. I might as well say Yakuza is as big as Shenmue considering the sales of Yakuza 1 and 2 are over a million. Daytona still has a lot of great memories for people, the fact that the PSN/XBLA did so well without marketing and SEGA did SEGA Racing Classic shows that people still enjoy that series.

? That is mass Market and what most developers hope for that a selling a million plus full price copies and if you don't sell a million copies in today's High Def world its very hard to get a sequel green light

Sure, selling a million back in 1999, that was an accomplishment. The market however is now so big that a million seller is not seen as a mass market title anymore, something closer to 3 million would be considered mass market.

The fact that Alpha Protocol can sell 700,000 with minimal hype shows how big the market has become.

That is more or less what every developer and publisher does and we've let to get a demo of the game. Now SEGA needs to get a demo out and ready a BIG TV push for the game come next month . If it doesn't it have a hard time selling a new IP today's market .Just look at Saints Row for the one time laughing stock that was THQ- Early demo and massive TV ad blits for a couple of weeks , or less what Capcom, Ubisoft and most the rest do anytime they're bring out a new IP . SEGA really needs to do the same , because this looks a quality production.

I never said otherwise? Why are you pointing out one particular comment when it was just an ADDITION to a full marketing campaign? Did I say SEGA should not use adverts? No, did I say they should only use developer interviews? No. What I said is they cannot rely on one form of marketing, they need to ensure they do everything from adverts, good demos, developer interviews, trailers, the whole works.

So what are you getting at with me here?

Offline Ben

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2012, 02:50:44 pm »
People who thought that only thought that on concept. But it cannot be both ways, effectively Generations 360 has proven that SEGA does not need just a Nintendo version of the game to sell so well. The problem was not marketing, but a wide range of issues (Bad demo, for one, completely misrepresented modern Sonic)

Huh? The demo was great! I'm not sure why that would be an issue. Sonic Unleashed (which was given a Sonic Generations-sized marketing push) sold by far better on Wii than the competing platforms. Generations, I'm sure, would have been the same way.

I actually wasn't aware that Generations even did poorly, to be honest, until you pointed it out here. But the fact is, a game that's being made to honor Sonic's history and his fanbase skipping out on the fanbase who helped define Sonic's success off of a Sega platform was just a bad decision to me, and a Wii version would have at least helped with the sales, as platforms (especially kids games) tend to sell better on Nintendo hardware.

That they have picked up the slack and delayed the game for marketing is good indication in my books.

Yeah except they moved it from a slow month right into a busier month. Now it will be competing with the likes of Mass Effect 2 and Twisted Metal.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2012, 03:31:42 pm »
Huh? The demo was great! I'm not sure why that would be an issue. Sonic Unleashed (which was given a Sonic Generations-sized marketing push) sold by far better on Wii than the competing platforms. Generations, I'm sure, would have been the same way.

But Sonic Unleashed was a terrible game for the most part and critics slammed it. The Wii version of Unleashed sold better than the other versions, but most people considered that the good version.

As for the demo, it pretty much proved the boost to win mindset was right, level design was absolutely simplistic and terrible, not representative of the final product. Should have picked City Escape or Sky Sanctuary instead.

I actually wasn't aware that Generations even did poorly, to be honest, until you pointed it out here.

It did very well intially and was the first Sonic game to enter in a number of charts at top 10 since Sonic Heroes, after that it dramatically fell out of the charts.

It should be noted, it did poorly after a few weeks, right now it is doing very good (Having managed to stay in certain charts since release) my point was not that it was doing poorly despite the ad campaign, I believe a number of reasons contributed to this.

But the fact is, a game that's being made to honor Sonic's history and his fanbase skipping out on the fanbase who helped define Sonic's success off of a Sega platform was just a bad decision to me, and a Wii version would have at least helped with the sales, as platforms (especially kids games) tend to sell better on Nintendo hardware.

?

Sonic Heroes, Sonic Gems Collection and Sonic Mega Collection all sold the best on the Playstation 2. Incorrect information there.

And Nintendo did have their version, it was the Nintendo 3DS version.

Yeah except they moved it from a slow month right into a busier month. Now it will be competing with the likes of Mass Effect 2 and Twisted Metal.

Mass Effect has become a time traveling franchise?!?

In all honesty, they moved it away from Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Soul Calibur V whilst getting it closer to Mass Effect 3, so its a bit of a double edged sword. More so why marketing is important now.

But I doubt Twisted Metal will be a success personal, in any case it's original release date had it launch at the same time as that game.