Author Topic: Binary Domain trailer "Bigger than you think"  (Read 21833 times)

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
Re: Binary Domain trailer "Bigger than you think"
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2012, 09:15:45 am »
about Daytona and how I think you are wrong and how you can try and counter my position,

In the home only the AM#2 sold in decent numbers the CE sold quite poor and Daytona USA 2001 couldn't didn't even enter the Japanese top 50 best selling games of 2000 (so it sold way less than 100,000 copies) , never entered the UK top 20 on its release for 2001 and I didn't sell great in USA either  Daytona USA did not sell that well at on consoles at all sadly

I can talk about how expanded the market has now become and you can counter that too

Its forum we debate, if the market has expanded so much,  why can only a few IP can ever hope sell over a million copies these days ? and you looked over some of the multi million sellers in the 90's ect. Goldeneye on a single system sold over 8 million copies (that's way above Gears of War 2) or what GTA SA sold just on the PS2 some 15 million copies plus (insane numbers on a single platform)

These days its very hard to launch a new IP and SEGA needs to pull out all the stops to make sure BD sales well , which is what we all want . That to me mean some decent TV ads on prime time TV something which SEGA has not done well for years , and it really needs to for this game and the upcoming Aliens Marine .

These 2 games can really bring SEGA back into the BIG time if handled and done right, mind you the games need to be good too, granted

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2012, 11:04:22 am »
In the home only the AM#2 sold in decent numbers the CE sold quite poor and Daytona USA 2001 couldn't didn't even enter the Japanese top 50 best selling games of 2000 (so it sold way less than 100,000 copies) , never entered the UK top 20 on its release for 2001 and I didn't sell great in USA either  Daytona USA did not sell that well at on consoles at all sadly

Why are you mentioning Japan, I never spoke of Japan? My point originally clearly stated to put Toshihiro Nagoshi (And other members) out there for Western gamers and get them associated with them, in Japan they are already well known. Why are you using the UK as an example? Between October 99 - May 00 the Dreamcast managed only a tiny 280,000 in sales, compared to the Plyastation 1 which managed 1.2 million in the same period and the Gameboy Colour that did 660,000. Of course it was not going to enter the top 20, it would have to have one of the best attach ratio in the industry.

So you are clearly missing the market conditions I have continually stressed, Sonic Adventure was the only title from SEGA that did over 100,000 in sales. But this is besides the point, getting these people out there will not harm the publicity of Binary Domain, it will not do anything bad towards the title, it will however allow SEGA to show off the world that they have other producers. It will not take away from the other forms of marketing (Such as demos, trailers, ad campaigns) all it is is an addition

Its forum we debate, if the market has expanded so much,  why can only a few IP can ever hope sell over a million copies these days ?

How is that an indication of anything? We have more million sellers this generation than any other generation, we also have more consoles sold to consumers this generation than any other generation, clearly shows the market has expanded. If new IPs are not a success, it does not mean the market has not expanded, it shows nothing but people not either willing to try the title or the publisher failing to advertise the new franchise well.

and you looked over some of the multi million sellers in the 90's ect. Goldeneye on a single system sold over 8 million copies (that's way above Gears of War 2) or what GTA SA sold just on the PS2 some 15
million copies plus (insane numbers on a single platform)

I pointed out 1999, not 2004. Neither did I never said there was no big sellers, I said selling a million is not as impressive these days. We have had big big sellers before, but we have never had as many big sellers as we do now. Off the top of my head Resident Evil, Uncharted, Gears of War, Saint's Row, Batman, Bioshock and are all over 5 million+ sellers, this is without me talking about FIFA, Halo, Assassin's Creed, Battlefield or even Call of Duty (I have not even talked about any of Nintendo's major titles either)

These days its very hard to launch a new IP and SEGA needs to pull out all the stops to make sure BD sales well , which is what we all want . That to me mean some decent TV ads on prime time TV something which SEGA has not done well for years , and it really needs to for this game and the upcoming Aliens Marine .

I never said SEGA should do none of that, if I was SEGA I would pay for I-Robot and Bladerunner on TV for Britain and air Binary Domain adverts between them. Perhaps advertise it with SyFy channel, you get the idea. My point was SEGA need to go with a complete attack on all fronts in the media with this game and not rely on one form of marketing.

These 2 games can really bring SEGA back into the BIG time if handled and done right, mind you the games need to be good too, granted

Not sure about the big time with Binary Domain, maybe if they were aiming for multi-million seller. I want Binary Domain to do well so more funds can be allocated to Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio to be able to make better games.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2012, 12:17:10 pm »
Just reposting it on this page incase anyone misses it;

http://www.destructoid.com/meet-the-heroes-of-binary-domain-the-rust-crew-219971.phtml

Another developer diary is up on Destructoid, this time talking about the characters, members of the Rust Crew. My favourite bit was;

Mid-way through the game, you’ll also have Cain join the Rust Crew. He is a special ops robot from France, a sleek character with a French accent. He’s also capable of showing some “artificial humor”, but his jokes aren’t always great and don’t always come at the right time. But when it comes to battle, Cain will show great talent. His combat skills and technical skills (he can hack into enemy AI!) are so awesome, even the robot-hater Dan gets impressed. I’m sure you’ll love Cain for his humorous actions!

Cain to be the best member of the group confirmed.

http://www.oxmonline.com/binary-domain-preview

Another interesting thing I found that Barry might enjoy, in regards to the voice commends, comes from this preview released way back in December from Official Xbox Magazine;

Dan Marshall and his partner Big Bo have some big problems. They’ve been sent into militarized Japan to hunt down brilliant inventor and robotics expert Yoji Amada. Unfortunately, the robots that Amada helped to create stand in their way. Along with their multinational Rust Crew, they’re on a mission to arrest Amada for ignoring Clause 21 of the New Geneva convention, which bans the use of the terrifyingly humanlike android Hollow Children for any purpose. Amada used one to commit a massacre in the labs of his biggest competitors, multinational corporation Bergen Advanced Robotics Technology.

Sound complicated? Well let’s summarize third-person shooter Binary Domain like this: You get to shoot robots. Lots of them. Those robots explode, and then you smile. It’s pretty simple, and very satisfying. And when you kill those robots, you get money that you can spend on new guns and upgrades for you and your team. Eventually, you’ll become a robot wrecking machine capable of taking on hordes of the metal guys. Of course, you can upgrade to your preference. Love some sniper action? Get your range and accuracy stats up. Prefer close and personal? That shotgun of yours looks like it could use a damage upgrade.

No one man can take on an entire army, however. That’s where Dan’s teammates come in. Depending on your style of play, you’ll have the choice of taking a combination of the juggernaut Big Bo, the explosives expert Charlie, the rocket launcher-toting Rachel, or the tactical sniper Faye into battle. Utilizing the crew to their fullest potential is pretty simple, especially with the extensive use of voice commands that Binary Domain features. Yelling “CHARGE” into an Xbox Live headset microphone feels a bit silly at first, but when you realize that you don’t have to take your thumb off the right stick to do so, it becomes second nature.

Perhaps the most interesting part about the voice commands, however, is the fact that you can it in non-combat scenarios. Deep in the slums below the Shibuya district of Tokyo, we had several conversations with citizens, where we were occasionally given a choice of dialogue options. Quickly, we realized that we could go off-script and say whatever we wanted, and the game would allow for that. Sort of like a poor man’s version of Siri for iPhone. Imagine the surprise of a hapless merchant when we cursed him out for no apparent reason. It wasn’t terribly pretty. In our preview build, the voice recognition wasn’t perfect, but we’re certainly intrigued by the possibilities.

With a complex plot, crazy man-on-robot violence, and an intriguing voice command system, Binary Domain certainly looks ready to make itself known on the third-person shooter front.

Ryan and George are going to have a field day with this game...

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2012, 01:37:51 am »
Why are you mentioning Japan, I never spoke of Japan? My point originally clearly stated to put Toshihiro Nagoshi (And other members) out there for Western gamers and get them associated with them

I'm not just on about about Japan( though Japan was Saturn number 1 market the onlt market where Panzer Dragoon did well and where Nagoshi-san enjoy's the best sales on the consoles currently).  Daytona 2001/Daytona CE didn't sell great in any part of the world ,those are simple facts.

Why are you using the UK as an example? Between October 99 - May 00 the Dreamcast managed only a tiny 280,000 in sales, compared to the Plyastation 1 which managed 1.2 million in the same period and the Gameboy Colour that did 660,000. Of course it was not going to enter the top 20, it would have to have one of the best attach ratio in the industry.

I'm not just using the UK, I use the USA and Japan too. You're at odds with your posts  on the one had saying Daytona USA is a brilliant seller and then making out the DC sold low numbers. I'm just saying that Daytona USA in the home is not a good seller at all, be that the DC or Saturn - Only the Saturn AM#2 port sold in decent numbers and there were far from anything that special

So like I said , saying from the team that gave you Daytona, JSRF, Panzer Dragoon and Yakuza won't mean much in the west - due the games not selling well in the home . Sure given that pedigree it get coverage in the press , hype and us gamers talking and looking forward to the game, but SEGA needs to sell this to the masses and sadly the likes of Panzer Dragoon, Yakuza don't mean much to them .

So what SEGA needs is a kick ass demo and a really good PR and TV campaign to generate interest for this new IP.

How is that an indication of anything? We have more million sellers this generation than any other generation, we also have more consoles sold to consumers this generation than any other generation, clearly shows the market has expanded

That is really up for debate - It one counts up the million plus sellers on the Cube, X-Box and PS 2 to the million sellers on the 360 , PS3 and Wii its a lot closer than what people think
You tried to make out games sold more these day's than in generations before GoldenEye did not come out in 2004, neither did the likes of Mario 64, Mario Kart 64 , FF 7, GT , Tomb Raider II , MGS, Zelda OOT, Super Smash Bro, MGS, HALO , DOA III, PGR and host of other multi million selling IP

And also remember than in the older days tracking sales of software was a bit more patchy and would not include sales from the likes of Amazon and other retailers that are now included . Look the market is huge now, but there was plenty on multi million selling IP in the old days , all I will say its with the high costs and the limited genre's that sell today, its now harder than ever to lauch a new IP and I hope SEGA pulls out all the stops or we could have another classic SEGA game that goes overlooked and I'm getting sick of that happing these days and feel part of that is down to SEGA's terrible and lacking promotions on TV in the west .

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2012, 11:30:28 pm »
Ryan and George are going to have a field day with this game...

XD indeed

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2012, 04:57:56 pm »
The role of consequences article

http://www.destructoid.com/the-role-of-consequence-in-binary-domain-220416.phtml

Daisuke Sato – Director

Today we’re talking about the “Consequence System”, one of the most outstanding features in Binary Domain.

The Consequence System was developed in order to make our way into the highly competitive third person shooter genre. By using it, you can change the battle situation, using voice commands like, “Charge!” through the microphone to move ally NPCs. Or you can say, “Cover me!” to ask them for help when running into difficult situations that you cannot handle by yourself. You can also use many other squad tactics throughout the game.

In many games, the main characters and ally NPCs just act however they want, but such NPCs just work like mob characters that are there to make scenes look more exciting. Binary Domain will allow you to actively reach out to these characters because we’re focusing on the meaning of their existence.

However, you’ll be using only one controller so it’s impossible to control the NPCs while moving your own character. This is why we came up with the Consequence System, where you can give action orders to NPCs using voice input. You can move the ally NPCs just by talking to the microphone while you have your gun pointed at other enemies.

This feature changed the AI from “ally NPCs that just follow you around” to “ally NPCs that fight together with you”. Furthermore, we combined that with the “trust level” system, which allows situations such as your team members disobeying your orders. For example, if you’re a careless player that keeps shooting your comrades instead of the enemies, then your allies will naturally refuse your orders. You’ll always need to act to gain their trust and show them how much of an awesome soldier you are. This tension will make the battlefield feel more realistic.

Ally NPCs can sometimes talk to you just for a chat outside of combat. Your replies there can also change their trust level. You can give various replies like “I love you” or “You idiot” and their reactions will vary accordingly, so you can create your own drama depending on how you communicate with them. The trust level can also affect the main scenario, so there could be multiple paths for Binary Domain’s ending.

Now in order to make this system work, the game needs to recognize the player’s answers in various situations as well as the NPC’s answers to them. This meant the system needed to work on top of a huge database of voice patterns. We recorded loads and loads of dialogues, and Binary Domain required more dialogue and recordings than any of our previous games, in order to make it compatible for six languages!