Author Topic: Sega Dreamcast Heroes - From 9.9.99 till Now The Challenge Will Always be There!  (Read 91811 times)

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
I also thought Ken got really successful and settled for a material life while Ryu continued on with his vigorous training. In a way it exemplifies the difference in their moralities and interest but doesn't exemplifies a "one is right, one is wrong" choice of lifestyle between two who shared the same origins.

Yeah, but according to Akuma, Ken's way of embracing both training and material life is wrong.

"You are hindered by too many earthly attachments to ever be a complete fighter.
Is it a child? A woman?"
"Until you have nothing to lose, you will never fight without hesitation."

And somehow this was proven in SNK vs Capcom: SVC Chaos.

In that game (and comic version) there's a playable version of brainwashed Ken when he thought his wife and kid were dead.
With nothing to lose anymore, this Violent Ken is kinda a what if Ken's only walking in the training life.
The result is he's a lot stronger than the normal Ken but also more evil.

Offline Mystic Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
Yeah, but according to Akuma, Ken's way of embracing both training and material life is wrong.

"You are hindered by too many earthly attachments to ever be a complete fighter.
Is it a child? A woman?"
"Until you have nothing to lose, you will never fight without hesitation."

And somehow this was proven in SNK vs Capcom: SVC Chaos.

In that game (and comic version) there's a playable version of brainwashed Ken when he thought his wife and kid were dead.
With nothing to lose anymore, this Violent Ken is kinda a what if Ken's only walking in the training life.
The result is he's a lot stronger than the normal Ken but also more evil.

But if you think about it, Akuma's logic is only sound in Akuma's way. Yes he is correct to say that if he let go of his Earthly attachments he would be a more accomplished fighter, but it's also his Earthly attachments, that being his family and their wellbeing, is what both grounds him and give him strength.

When he thought his family was dead it looks like the Satsui no Hado got the better of him. So yes he's free from the burdens of family but also without the foundation they provided for him.

And of course, the "remove earthly attachments to be a better something or other" can be said for just about anything that involved enlightenment. As Avatar the Last Airbender has taught me, just because enlightenment means letting go of the things you love doesn't mean giving up on them or to no longer love them. Only then can you truly love when not tangled with obsession.

Offline Berto

But if you think about it, Akuma's logic is only sound in Akuma's way. Yes he is correct to say that if he let go of his Earthly attachments he would be a more accomplished fighter, but it's also his Earthly attachments, that being his family and their wellbeing, is what both grounds him and give him strength.

When he thought his family was dead it looks like the Satsui no Hado got the better of him. So yes he's free from the burdens of family but also without the foundation they provided for him.

And of course, the "remove earthly attachments to be a better something or other" can be said for just about anything that involved enlightenment. As Avatar the Last Airbender has taught me, just because enlightenment means letting go of the things you love doesn't mean giving up on them or to no longer love them. Only then can you truly love when not tangled with obsession.

Akuma may sound convinced with his own thinking but the truth is he kinda also wanted to be proven wrong.
Akuma almost never smile or may be he never smile at all.
But he finally smile in the final battle with Ryu, when Ryu (afer become Oro's student) finally could beat him without Satsui no Hado.
It wasn't explained why he smiles though.

Still probably the strongest fighter in the Street Fighter series was Oro, strong enough to be Ryu's 2nd master.
He always restrict himself to fight with one hand (sealed the other one) so that others could have a chance in defeating him.

Did Oro let go of his earthly attachments too to become this strong?
Hard to tell.
While he's homeless and always train himself, he still enjoy watching beautiful girls and eating delicious food.

Offline Mystic Monkey

Akuma may sound convinced with his own thinking but the truth is he kinda also wanted to be proven wrong.
Akuma almost never smile or may be he never smile at all.
But he finally smile in the final battle with Ryu, when Ryu (afer become Oro's student) finally could beat him without Satsui no Hado.
It wasn't explained why he smiles though.

Still probably the strongest fighter in the Street Fighter series was Oro, strong enough to be Ryu's 2nd master.
He always restrict himself to fight with one hand (sealed the other one) so that others could have a chance in defeating him.

Did Oro let go of his earthly attachments too to become this strong?
Hard to tell.
While he's homeless and always train himself, he still enjoy watching beautiful girls and eating delicious food.
I always found the definition of "enlightment" an iffy deal to me. Don't get me wrong I'm sure it's as glorious as the monks and gurus say but it's like you have to give up most of your everything to be "enlightened" and "harmonized" which makes me ask what about self identity and personality? I mean yeah you're at ultimate peace of mind but when you let go of everything that grounds you what do you have left? Even if earthly attachments are regarded negative at least not everyone have the same attachments as everyone else. You know what I mean?

Then again, what do I know about enlightenment? I may be bound to my earthly attachments and personal vices but I am happy and at peace with how things are going for me.

Offline Berto

I always found the definition of "enlightment" an iffy deal to me. Don't get me wrong I'm sure it's as glorious as the monks and gurus say but it's like you have to give up most of your everything to be "enlightened" and "harmonized" which makes me ask what about self identity and personality? I mean yeah you're at ultimate peace of mind but when you let go of everything that grounds you what do you have left? Even if earthly attachments are regarded negative at least not everyone have the same attachments as everyone else. You know what I mean?

Then again, what do I know about enlightenment? I may be bound to my earthly attachments and personal vices but I am happy and at peace with how things are going for me.
Adyasanthi said Enlightenment is a destructive process.
It has nothing to do with becoming better or being happier.
Enlightenment is the crumbling away of untruth.
It’s seeing through the facade of pretense.

Happy and at peace with current things.
In these modern times I think those are better than constantly struggling to find enlightment to the point it drives us crazy.
Time has changed a lot compared to the old times when human could live without identity or technologies.

Offline Berto

Treasure Turns 30: Three Decades of Subverting Genres

Treasure might have made games for the hardcore devotee, but in actuality, their games are playable by anyone.
All that’s needed is the patience to learn the systems that differ so much from what many gamers were used to in more traditional takes on the genres Treasure was tackling.
Radiant Silvergun begins as a very difficult, very complicated game: give it the time it deserves, however, and the systems not only make sense, but reveal themselves to be both elegant and rewarding.

Article : https://www.pastemagazine.com/games/treasure-shmups-30th-anniversary/

Offline Mystic Monkey

Adyasanthi said Enlightenment is a destructive process.
It has nothing to do with becoming better or being happier.
Enlightenment is the crumbling away of untruth.
It’s seeing through the facade of pretense.

Happy and at peace with current things.
In these modern times I think those are better than constantly struggling to find enlightment to the point it drives us crazy.
Time has changed a lot compared to the old times when human could live without identity or technologies.
That's true. "Ignorance is bliss" is often regarded as foolish but at the same time it still has it's merits and comforts. I'd rather be ignorant at an on coming apocalyptic destruction that I have absolutely nothing to do about, that be aware everything and everyone I know will die.

Offline Berto

That's true. "Ignorance is bliss" is often regarded as foolish but at the same time it still has it's merits and comforts. I'd rather be ignorant at an on coming apocalyptic destruction that I have absolutely nothing to do about, that be aware everything and everyone I know will die.

Sound like Android 17 and her sister, Android 18, in Dragon Ball Super.
They just want to enjoy their life after becoming full human (their bombs got removed), not interested in saving/ruling the world or preventing the apocalypse.
They won't mind if the world came to end.
"If everyone gets erased because our heroes losing in Tournament of Power then it cannot be helped."

Goku has to convince or trick them to help him saving their universe in the Tournament of Power (the losing team would have their universe be erased).
Android 18 accepts after Goku lied to her and her husband, Krilin, about money being the prize.
Android 17 accepts to fight in the Tournament of Power after knowing Krillin will participate, as he feels he owes him a debt for asking Shenron to have their bombs removed.

In the end, surprisingly enough Android 17 is the winner of Tournament of Power,not Goku, not Freeza, not another stronger fighters from another universe.
He who at first doesn't give a damn about the fate of their universe make a sacrifice to save their universe.

Offline Mystic Monkey

Sound like Android 17 and her sister, Android 18, in Dragon Ball Super.
They just want to enjoy their life after becoming full human (their bombs got removed), not interested in saving/ruling the world or preventing the apocalypse.
They won't mind if the world came to end.
"If everyone gets erased because our heroes losing in Tournament of Power then it cannot be helped."

Goku has to convince or trick them to help him saving their universe in the Tournament of Power (the losing team would have their universe be erased).
Android 18 accepts after Goku lied to her and her husband, Krilin, about money being the prize.
Android 17 accepts to fight in the Tournament of Power after knowing Krillin will participate, as he feels he owes him a debt for asking Shenron to have their bombs removed.

In the end, surprisingly enough Android 17 is the winner of Tournament of Power,not Goku, not Freeza, not another stronger fighters from another universe.
He who at first doesn't give a damn about the fate of their universe make a sacrifice to save their universe.

They were more selfish than ignorant though.
If there was a meteor heading for Earth and I had the superpowers to stop it then I would. But if I was just as human as you and me and nothing can stop it then what's the point of knowing of our oncoming doom if it just makes our final hours full of misery and hopelessness?

The Androids simply believe "life is good enough as it is, why should I help save the world?" when logically if the world is doomed, so is their lives. They just figure "If you (Goku and his friends) can't do it then there's no point trying."
As the end of the Tournament of Power proves they made all the difference and they would of allowed the destruction of everything they attained if they just sit back and did nothing.

Offline Berto

They were more selfish than ignorant though.
If there was a meteor heading for Earth and I had the superpowers to stop it then I would. But if I was just as human as you and me and nothing can stop it then what's the point of knowing of our oncoming doom if it just makes our final hours full of misery and hopelessness?

The Androids simply believe "life is good enough as it is, why should I help save the world?" when logically if the world is doomed, so is their lives. They just figure "If you (Goku and his friends) can't do it then there's no point trying."
As the end of the Tournament of Power proves they made all the difference and they would of allowed the destruction of everything they attained if they just sit back and did nothing.

May be we don't even know ourselves, how good or bad we are, until we're being pushed in the corner or facing the pressure in the eyes.
Android 17 and 18 don't consider them as good guys, but then somehow they proved otherwise.
It's also thanks to Krilin though, he's the first one to show them kindness.

Offline Berto

Chunli, Tina, Blue Mary, Elena, Sean, etc Artworks by Cirenk

Source : https://www.deviantart.com/cirenk/journal/Devious-Journal-Entry-567131755

Offline Mystic Monkey

May be we don't even know ourselves, how good or bad we are, until we're being pushed in the corner or facing the pressure in the eyes.
Android 17 and 18 don't consider them as good guys, but then somehow they proved otherwise.
It's also thanks to Krilin though, he's the first one to show them kindness.

Krillin also was the first to show 18 a lot of other stuff as well. :-D

Offline Berto

Krillin also was the first to show 18 a lot of other stuff as well. :-D

Offline Mystic Monkey

People regard Krillin a joke... he banged Android 18 and got her preggers, then named his daughter after his ex.

Offline Berto

People regard Krillin a joke... he banged Android 18 and got her preggers, then named his daughter after his ex.

Really?
I thought Yamcha was the joke one.
Krilin is basically the strongest human on the earth.