Author Topic: Yakuza: OF THE END  (Read 33384 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
Re: Yakuza: OF THE END
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2011, 04:56:28 am »
You can define it as you want, Sega defines it as an arcade/action adventure.
Not like the new game which is classified in the same genre is going to play like the others. Soup's last bit of the description is the bare knuckles of what genre the game Sega classed it in anyways. its like nobody here has even heard of an AAD.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline ROJM

« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2011, 05:35:07 am »
Quote from: "Team Andromeda"

We can count SONIC and there's been lots of Cameos in SEGA games, mostly made by the people that 1st made the game in the 1st place, but there is always exceptions to the rule , like ORTA being in OutRun SP tours , A who's who of SEGA in SEGAGAGA (most of which not by AM#3)

The simple face is there's been plenty of SEGA game in the past with Cameo's
Let's see what i originally said shall we.

You can't count Sonic since he is the company mascot. Barring YAKUZA and a few others, Sega cameos usually only extend to games that team created or worked on

Again for good measure..

You can't count Sonic since he is the company mascot. Barring YAKUZA and a few others, Sega cameos usually only extend to games that team created or worked on
quote]

So you reply to that post saying the exact same thing I said. How sad. Just can't help but to spin eh? And Sonic is the main exception because he's the face of Sega now so he'll be in lots of games whether the developer likes it or not. That's why its not worth counting him, since the gist of the post is other characters in sega's portfolio cameoing in other games as Sega Uranus was eluding to or whoever said it.
Sonic does not count since anyone in sega can use him, even Sega europe and america. Cameos mostly only are within the team that created the game. Until you have sega characters/crossovers from all over the sega spectrum be it inhouse or second party. One of the reasons the Capcom vs games are popular is the inclusion of a lot of characters from capcom's past be they from their first division to their second division. You don't get that from Sega hardly. So until we have a cameo from Gunstar heroes and bayonetta mixing it with Akira and billy hatcher mixing it with Decap attack and Ecco, then we can say that Sega fully cameos and crossover. Until then they don't.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2011, 10:02:20 am »
Hmm, you know, I am not gonna make it more complicated than it should be. If SEGA calls it that what they call it, I guess that's what it is.

Though I do gotta say that I like Yakuza as an rpg game.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2011, 03:32:10 pm »
Game companies always say stuff to make their games sell in a specific market or so they can make them seem more important in some cases. Like how Nintendo calls Smash Brothers a fighting game, when it is clearly a platormer/beat em up.

All of the reasons SOUP pointed out pretty much solidifying the series being an RPG. Besides, outside of the second game, you do not really travel or exchange much money in the series, not much of an adventure.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2011, 05:42:57 pm »
Even the term "Adventure" is extremely broad. I mean, you could probably categorise 90% of games as 'Adventure'.
Halo is an adventure through space for example, it just so happens to have guns in it.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2011, 06:17:45 am »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
Game companies always say stuff to make their games sell in a specific market or so they can make them seem more important in some cases. Like how Nintendo calls Smash Brothers a fighting game, when it is clearly a platormer/beat em up.

All of the reasons SOUP pointed out pretty much solidifying the series being an RPG. Besides, outside of the second game, you do not really travel or exchange much money in the series, not much of an adventure.
No it doesn't. If an AAD was from the west for example the focus would be more on the action side, from japan its obvious that the RPG elements are given more focus especially when genres evolve and start to blur, it doesn't make one an RPG however. SHENMUE for pace alone is an RPG where RGG has always had a bit of urgency to it. But its pointless to argue about it considering that is what Sega never defined it as and in a market full of RPGs in a country that's crazy about them, sega could easily cashed in and advertised this game as one, which makes your original point,moot.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2011, 07:00:10 am »
So you reply to that post saying the exact same thing I said

I simply said there's been plenty of Cameo's in SEGA games, which they simply have been.

Sonic does not count since anyone in sega can use him

No you still need permission (or at least notify) the Sonic Team to use Sonic, just like you would with any of the SEGA Teams who hold the rights to the IP. One of the biggest pains to making Segagaga was just that

So until we have a cameo from Gunstar heroes

Gunstar heroes eh, The GBA  game had a ton of SEGA reference's and even Cameo music from the likes of AfterBuner.

One of the reasons the Capcom vs games are popular is the inclusion of a lot of characters from capcom's past be they from their first division to their second division

Yes that is very true and also all helped with the fact that in the old days Capcom, The  Coin Up division was all on the same floor and one Big Team, unlike SEGA which split it teams and let them have their own separate teams and heads.

You don't get that from Sega hardly.

That's only because SEGA had made so little , what we've had Fighters Megamix and the likes of SEGA Racing and Tennis. That's just shows how dull SEGA Japan is sometimes. We should have had a Fighters Megamix 2 and a racers Mega Mix from SEGA Japan years ago

SHENMUE for pace alone is an RPG where RGG has always had a bit of urgency to it. But its pointless to argue about it considering that is what Sega never defined it as and in a market full of RPGs

There are both paced much the same, look much the same and play a lot like each other. They're both RPG's despite what the PR teams will label them as . Some people see D2 has survival Horror, but that game plays more like a RPG than Resident Evil. I've seen Exhumed  down as FPS (and I class it as one) when if any game is an adventure game , that is one , is Zelda really an RPG, same for Dark Saviour (they play more like Platform Adventure games to me) but everyone classes them a RPG's
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2011, 07:03:33 pm »
Quote from: "ROJM"
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"

No it doesn't. If an AAD was from the west for example the focus would be more on the action side, from japan its obvious that the RPG elements are given more focus especially when genres evolve and start to blur, it doesn't make one an RPG however. SHENMUE for pace alone is an RPG where RGG has always had a bit of urgency to it. But its pointless to argue about it considering that is what Sega never defined it as and in a market full of RPGs in a country that's crazy about them, sega could easily cashed in and advertised this game as one, which makes your original point,moot.

Pacing?

Just because a game is "Slow" does not make it an RPG. Mass Effect 2 is damn fast, and that is an RPG.

I would consider Shenmue more of an open world game, myself. Much of the design in that is still to this day fairly unique, it does not play like any RPG in particular. Shenmue City is a different story, though.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2011, 08:00:25 am »
You clearly don't get it. RPGs or proper ones, emphasis is about exploration as well as completing whatever quest you are on hence the pace. While you can explore(if you can call it that) in YAKUZA that isn't really the emphasis of the title.

As for SHENMUE, one game is similar to it and that's RENT A HERO.

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2011, 08:20:37 am »
You clearly don't get it. RPGs or proper ones, emphasis is about exploration as well as completing whatever quest you are on hence the pace. While you can explore(if you can call it that) in YAKUZA that isn't really the emphasis of the title.

Final Fantasy XIII.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2011, 09:15:50 am »
FF stopped being a proper RPG years ago.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2011, 11:03:11 am »
You clearly don't get it. RPGs or proper ones, emphasis is about exploration as well as completing whatever quest you are on hence the pace

The very 1st RPG were text adventures and one could hardly explore the world in those. There are many different types of RPG's all with different pacing and battles, like they are many FPS, but lots with different pacing and in some cases fighting systems

Yes, yes. But its still listed by the developer and retail as a RPG.

As for SHENMUE, one game is similar to it and that's RENT A HERO

I think Rent a Hero plays far more like Spikeout myself, and tbh there not many games that play or feel like Shenmue, the closest is Yakuza and Omikron (that is just my view) Such a shame Shenmue never sold the way it should have :(
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2011, 11:34:53 am »
Quote from: "SOUP"
- You level up by fighting, and gaining stats.
- You acquire new skills as you level up
- You beat various quests that progress the main story along.
- You chat with the various denizens of the world you inhabit.
- When an enemy sees you on the overworld, you go into a battle screen.

The RPG genre's pretty loose in definition nowaday's anyway.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2011, 11:51:22 am »
The very 1st RPG were text adventures and one could hardly explore the world in those. There are many different types of RPG's all with different pacing and battles, like they are many FPS, but lots with different pacing and in some cases fighting systems
Wrong, the first RPGs were the board and dice games like D+D.
And YAKUZA isn't an RPG. That's the point.

Yes, yes. But its still listed by the developer and retail as a RPG.
Never said it wasn't one. I said it stopped being a proper RPG. Funny how readily you accept FF as being an RPG because the developer lists it as one but can't give the same courtesy to Sega.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2011, 03:34:12 pm »
Wrong, the first RPGs were the board and dice games like D+D.
And YAKUZA isn't an RPG

And the very 1st games we no doubt not electronic based, and AD&D just show American and the west created RPG's long before the Japanese.

I said it stopped being a proper RPG

It's a RPG alright , just one that's been poorly made

FF as being an RPG because the developer lists it as one but can't give the same courtesy to Sega.

I was just using your logic, that if the PR say it, it must be true. I really don't see Zelda as an RPG, even if its listed as one
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is