Author Topic: Lego Sega Classic Arcade Machines!  (Read 9814 times)

Offline spacysmoke

• Total Meseta: 0
Lego Sega Classic Arcade Machines!
« on: March 09, 2015, 04:57:31 pm »

UPDATE MAY 28, 2019:
In case you haven't heard, this LEGO Ideas project is back from the dead!
To help celebrate the 10th Anniversary of Lego Ideas, the Lego Ideas team chose 4 rejected projects for which fans can vote to become an official Lego set!
I'm extremely honored that they have chosen the Sega Classic Arcade Machines project as one of the 4!

Now it's up to you guys and gals: if you want to see this become a real Lego set, we'll need as many votes as we can get!
The competition is FIERCE, and I feel like this set is the underdog.
If you could please vote, go to this new project page:
https://ideas.lego.com/challenges/5fa4eb3f-1e98-47d7-abbc-fdc2a29b79c3/application/d0c6267b-2453-48a7-82c0-d69a0c90efbd
You will need to sign up for a Lego account if you don't have one already (it's free and quick).
Voting ENDS JUNE 4th, 2019, so please vote and share with all the gamers in your life!

I've also created a shorter url for easy sharing:
https://www.tinyurl.com/legosegaarcade

Thanks in advance, and please feel free to ask me any questions!

ORIGINAL POST:Greetings fellow Sega fans!

Just wanted to share a Lego Ideas project I've been working on for while: classic Sega arcade machines!
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/96810

Lego Ideas is Lego's official crowdsourcing platform that allows anyone to submit an idea for a Lego set. If the idea gets 10,000 supporters, Lego will evaluate it and decide to make it into a real set or not. This is how the Lego Back to the Future and Ghostbusters sets came to be, among others.

So here's my proposed idea:

There's also a few more pictures you can see in the project webpage or on my Flickr photostream.

I wanted to include Hang On and After Burner, but they were proving difficult to capture in Lego form. If the project gets approved, the Lego designers will probably redesign the models and hopefully they can include Hang On and After Burner.

In any case, I'm going to continue to work on the series for myself. Besides HO and AB, I want to do Galaxy Force II and maybe some newer cabinets like an Astro City.

Thanks for looking and please support the project at Lego Ideas if you want to be able to buy it!
I'd like to reiterate that this project needs 10,000 supporters just to be considered for production and the fan community is essential to reach the 10k mark.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 11:30:54 pm by spacysmoke »

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Re: Lego Sega Classic Arcade Machines!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 05:20:09 am »
Those are incredible! Well done man! Love it.
Made by SEGA

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 09:10:51 am »
Congrats on the Kotaku mention, I bet that will bring in some people.

This is a great idea. Thank you :)
SEG4GES

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 09:33:46 am »
Wow! Really well done.

Offline spacysmoke

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 09:44:24 pm »
Thanks guys!
Yeah, the Kotaku mention totally boosted it by somewhere between 400-500 supporters which is pretty dang good compared to other popular projects. It even made it to the Lego Ideas frontpage under the "Popular This Week" section.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 09:10:34 am »
Do you think Yu Suzuki being a minifig will be an obstacle for the project? SEGA owns the games and their logo, but Suzuki's name and likeness is his own, which would require an extra bit of clearance not on SEGA's part. I'd think a Ryo Hazuki would be a better choice, or simply three people in SEGA branded clothes.

Offline spacysmoke

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 10:49:55 am »
I feel that none of the minifigs will be an obstacle to the project; if they can't get the rights to use Yu Suzuki's name and "likeness" then they will simply cut the figure out of the set. The minifigs are gravy here -- just extras; the main issue will be getting the rights to Out Run, Space Harrier, Thunder Blade and whatever other games they want to include.

Personally, I don't think it'd be hard to get Suzuki's permission. He's not a huge celebrity, so I don't think it would cost much to get his permission. Ryo Hazuki, however, would require obtaining licensing for yet another game, so they will have to weigh the cost vs. benefits of having the figure -- would having a Ryo minifig increase sales enough to warrant the extra licensing? Lego will make the call on that one.

That said, I think the Lego designers will push to include the most they can. For example, for the recent Exo Suit set, the designer kept adding extra items until he was told the set would be too expensive. So even though the proposal was just for an exo suit and minifig, the designer added another minifig, a mini turtle robot, and a sort of loading platform with some barrels.
So if they can include Suzuki or Ryo, I think they will. If they can't, they won't.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 02:16:36 pm »
Given an OutRun plastic model is releasing later this year, and the 3D classic titles are keeping the franchises relevant, and SEGA seems open to working with third parties on merch I don't see SEGA being difficult when it comes to licensing. Look at those F4F statues, for example.

Best of luck with this!

Offline spacysmoke

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 06:03:34 pm »
Yeah, I really don't think there will be an issue with these IPs, but if anything can go wrong with the approval process, it will probably be due to licensing.
There were some Sonic proposals on Lego Ideas, and they all got archived because another company has exclusive rights to Sonic building toys. Of course, Sonic is a waaay more popular IP, so I doubt there will be a similar issue with these older games.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 12:25:17 am »
Best of luck man, this is incredible. I saw the mention on Kotaku and had to take a look at these.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Old_School

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 01:01:24 pm »
Those are quite nice! The male SEGA fan kind-of made me want a lego figure of Axel from Crazy Taxi for some reason.

Offline spacysmoke

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 11:48:20 pm »

UPDATE MAY 28, 2019:
In case you haven't heard, this LEGO Ideas project is back from the dead!
To help celebrate the 10th Anniversary of Lego Ideas, the Lego Ideas team chose 4 rejected projects for which fans can vote to become an official Lego set!
I'm extremely honored that they have chosen the Sega Classic Arcade Machines project as one of the 4!

Now it's up to you guys and gals: if you want to see this become a real Lego set, we'll need as many votes as we can get!
The competition is FIERCE, and I feel like this set is the underdog.
If you could please vote, go to this new project page:
https://ideas.lego.com/challenges/5fa4eb3f-1e98-47d7-abbc-fdc2a29b79c3/application/d0c6267b-2453-48a7-82c0-d69a0c90efbd
You will need to sign up for a Lego account if you don't have one already (it's free and quick).
Voting ENDS JUNE 4th, 2019, so please vote and share with all the gamers in your life!

I've also created a shorter url for easy sharing:
https://www.tinyurl.com/legosegaarcade

Thanks in advance, and please feel free to ask me any questions!

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2019, 08:28:38 am »
I'm not really a lego fan, but I did like Lego Dimensions. Any chance this would be in a wave?
Though I think the LEgo Dimensions series is done with given I haven't heard from it in awhile.

Offline spacysmoke

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 01:45:47 pm »
Nope; Lego Dimensions has been cancelled and there will be no more Lego Dimensions sets being made.
If this set gets made, it will be a standalone release under the Lego Ideas branding.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2019, 06:46:23 pm »
Nope; Lego Dimensions has been cancelled and there will be no more Lego Dimensions sets being made.
If this set gets made, it will be a standalone release under the Lego Ideas branding.
Well that sucks. While I don't "hate" Lego in general (I mean I don't like how it horde's franchises and make them a parody of themselves) but Lego Dimensions was the one thing I liked and hoped it last and hoped would continue.
If it's the matter of modern console, they could of at least release a "Lego Dimensions 2" or make Lego Worlds able to use the Toy Pad to unlock characters and content.