Author Topic: Games in Need of a Re-release (2hard2play)  (Read 6995 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Games in Need of a Re-release (2hard2play)
« on: February 18, 2015, 12:29:51 pm »
So I'm talking about games that are on dead consoles/systems and for one reason or another, are difficult to play or will become difficult to play.

When I say difficult to play, I mean because a re-release doesn't exist on modern hardware and emulation of said games is very difficult.

So for example, pretty much any Mega Drive game isn't an issue, since emulation for 16 bit machines is a cakewalk and anyone will be able to play the games for years to come. Games on the Xbox original though are much harder to play as without the original hardware it's not possible to play the games as intended (maaaaybe with a 360).

Another recent example was Grim Fandango, now remedied by the remaster. That game was very difficult to find legally, and had all sorts of potential issues running on modern hardware.

Here's a list of games I really want to see get released onto Modern PC/Modern Consoles:

Jet Set Radio Future
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Ninja Gaiden Black
All three are OG Xbox games, and OG Xbox isn't getting emulated any time soon, sadly. We're probably more likely to get Xbox 360 emulation before the original. I believe these all work to an extent on Xbox 360, but that console is going to fade out of use soon too, already replaced in many homes by the next gen.
JSRF is one of the best platformers I've ever played, and people love the original's re-release. It would be a true shame not to see the sequel get the same love.
Panzer Dragoon Orta is a game that is also well loved by it's niche audience and seems to have issues running on 360 emulation too (in my experience sadly).
NGB is one of the best action games EVER, some say THE best of all time. Any yet it's relatively so hard to play.

These games would all be amazing on PC or new consoles, and I really hope it does happen.

Panzer Dragoon/Zwei/Saga
Thanks to Sega 'lol lost the source code!' these are going to be difficult to port, but I really think someone should take the time to either reverse engineer them (unlikely) or come up with some way of emulating them perfectly for a re-release.
These games are such an important part of Sega's history, to let them become expensive collector's items only playable on decades old hardware would be sad.
Saturn Emulation DOES exist, and it's not bad, but it's also not perfect and many games have issues running on emulators due to the Saturn's bonkers architecture.

Any other games you can think of? I'm thinking this forum will mostly be Saturn/Xbox originals which are the two most obvious I can think of. There's also a number of old PC games that are very difficult to run nowadays, off the top of my head is Blood. Some arcade games might also be contenders, as well as Dreamcast (although I expect DC emulation to improve in leaps and bounds in comparison to something like Saturn).

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: Games in Need of a Re-release (2hard2play)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 01:01:29 pm »
I thought this was about arcade games that never got home releases...

Its not that hard to pick up a Xbox and Saturn.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 01:04:10 pm »
Gunvalkyrie fits this to a tee.

Original Xbox game that is not supported on the 360, but not only that, the game itself is hard AND no customizable controls.

A PC release of this game would be a dream. Updated visuals, customizable controls, multiplayer?

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 01:14:57 pm »
I thought this was about arcade games that never got home releases...

Its not that hard to pick up a Xbox and Saturn.
It's also not hard to emulate most Arcade games on your PC/Smartphone/Toaster, but it's going to get harder and harder to get original hardware Xbox and Saturn and equally inconvenient to plug them in each time you want to play that one game.

We can talk about Arcade games that need a port too though! I don't know of any arcade boards that are difficult to emulate though, maybe newer stuff like Lindbergh and RingEdge but I imagine those will be easily cracked in time as they are relatively close to PC right?

Gunvalkyrie fits this to a tee.

Original Xbox game that is not supported on the 360, but not only that, the game itself is hard AND no customizable controls.

A PC release of this game would be a dream. Updated visuals, customizable controls, multiplayer?

That's a perfect example, I never played it but heard good things. At the moment the only way to play is via OG Xbox?

I guess that the original Phantom Dust and Metal Wolf Chaos could be added to the list as well (although I haven't played either).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 01:16:41 pm by MadeManG74 »

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 01:31:56 pm »
Gunvalkyrie: Yup Original Xbox is the only way at the moment. Damn shame it gets overlooked too. It really is brilliant when you get used to the controls. Oozes Sega Style through and through.

I was shocked by the Phantom Dust remake trailer. I really thought that game was gonna get buried in history. Total gem. Both Phantom Dust and Gunvalkyrie were way ahead of their time. You can play Phantom Dust on 360, but there's heavy framerate drop when the parts of the arena are destroyed. It stands out, since it runs solid on Original Xbox.

Offline George

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 01:54:58 pm »
1. Scud Race
2. Border Break
3. Golden Axe Return of Death Adder
4. Gunvalkyrie
5. Shining Force Cross (dude, looks fun).

I'll leave this for now.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 06:44:11 pm »
Thankfully I have original copies of Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio Future, and Ninja Gaiden Black.. The only issue is that I don't have enough room anywhere to keep my OG Xbox plugged in. I even bought a copy of Toe Jam & Earl 3 and have yet to play it. Would be nice If my X360 could play these.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline George

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 06:59:24 pm »
^ I too have never played Toe Jam and Earl 3 and I own it as well. :/

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 08:08:34 am »
Gunvalkyrie: Yup Original Xbox is the only way at the moment. Damn shame it gets overlooked too. It really is brilliant when you get used to the controls. Oozes Sega Style through and through.

Top post . It was an amazing game which some epic boss battles only the controls and the game length really let it down and they're all issues which should and could have been addressed with a sequel . Smilebit were such a brilliant studio :( .

SEGA Games I like to seen be brought to XBox LIVE and PSN on the One and PS4

OutRun 2 - For it to be a Arcade perfect ports of both Out Run II and Outrun II 2006 along with every extra seen inthe XBox versions .

SEGA Rally II - For the game graphics to be model 3 perfect, but include every extra from the DC version along with full Online uploads for replays and rankings plus online multi player

JSRF - Just get the game up there

GunBlade NY - Love to see this up on Live

SpikeOut Collection - Every Arcade version of the game with full 4 player On-line Co-Op

Super Monkey Ball 1 and II - Just port the Gamecube versions over, but now with full on-line play and rankings for the Mini games

Sega Race TV - I live to be able to play this over Live myself

Ollie King - Be nice to see it if only for the gfx and sound

Ski Champ - One of the best ever looking Model 3 games

SEGA  Shooter Collection - To include Arcade perfect versions of HOTD 1, VC,VC II, VC III, Lets Go Jungle , Brave Fighters 

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 10:17:27 am »
Thankfully I have original copies of Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio Future, and Ninja Gaiden Black.. The only issue is that I don't have enough room anywhere to keep my OG Xbox plugged in. I even bought a copy of Toe Jam & Earl 3 and have yet to play it. Would be nice If my X360 could play these.

Xbox 360 can play JSRF and NGB I played those via 360 at least. I don't remember if it's a perfect emulation though, I believe that JSRF in particular had some issues? Orta would repeatedly crash for me.

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 06:44:40 pm »
Seeing this thread suddenly makes me ache to play Herc's Adventures from the Saturn/PS1. I wish Disney could farm out an HD port of that gem, so I don't have to dig around to find the game and system to play it on. I hope to do just that and see how terrible it has aged. I'd never played such a richly animated game at the time, and can't think of much that has done better with hand-drawn, 2D cell animation in a brawler.

SEGA did a decent job with XBLA/PSN ports of their classics, but I still would love to see Burning Rangers and Phantasy Star Online. I've given up hoping for Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia... maybe Valkyria's success on Steam could get some PC ports rolling out later this year.

CAPCOM really should've done a Power Stone Collection on 360/PS3, but I'm fine pretending CAPCOM doesn't exist anymore.

Offline Jumbomax

• Total Meseta: 2
  • Keep Dreaming...
    • My Deviantart.
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 12:45:37 pm »
BURNING RANGERS!!!!!!
It's almost impossible to get that game without paying over $100 so I've never played it before.

And if we're talking arcade games too then I'd say Ollie King. I haven't played that either.

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too and aren't scared to admit it then copy and paste this in your signature.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 02:05:38 am »
All Virtual Boy games.
I really hope there will be a virtual console for them in 3DS but Ninty doesn't seem had an interest at them at all.
Traumatic reason may be?

As for SEGA games, may be arcade games that don't get a perfect port or no port at all, such as Michael Jackson's Moonwalker, Golden Axe : Death Adder's Revenge, Arabian Fight, and DD Crew.
I could play them with MAME of course, but still I want to play them in console.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 03:34:23 am »
Most of the Saturn library. Panzer Dragoon Saga is a no brainer, plus games like Golden Axe: The Duel and Shinobi X.

Also JSRF and PSO.
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 07:14:28 am »
I'm guessing issues would be fixed too, if so:

Discworld Noir

This isn't exactly tough to find, but due to a rushed deadline it was a pain for some to get working which is a real shame. It was a diamond in the rough sort of game with fun story and characters with mostly good puzzles.

Shenmue I & II

Need I say more.

Snatcher & Policenauts

Only managed to find Snacther, but despite it feeling very much of it's time in story and style, it was still really good. I was honestly glued to it from start to finish. Just wish I could get Policenauts.