Author Topic: SEGA-Related Comics and Mangas  (Read 208229 times)

Offline Mystic Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: SEGA-Related Comics and Mangas
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2021, 10:20:40 pm »
Sonic fans are sometimes scary.
2D vs 3D debate's still going on until now.
Even among 3Ds, there are always Unleashed vs Colors.
Why can't they just let others like what they like.
They probably can't let others like what they like because they barely like what they like themselves. That Sonic Forces for example, it should of been the direct successor to Sonic Generations but it just falls flat to it. Those who liked Sonic Generations turned out dissapointed with it.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2021, 12:05:06 am »
Sonic the Hedgehog Comic Proves Tails' Haters Have Always Been Wrong

It's reat to see IDW give Tails his time to shine, even if this story isn't as ambitious as the fate Archie Comics awarded the young freedom fighter.
While fans of Sonic the Hedgehog's comic lineage have long known that Tails is no joke, Sonic the Hedgehog #43 offers concrete evidence that without him, there are challenges that even the Blue Blur wouldn't be able to overcome.

Source : https://screenrant.com/sonic-hedgehog-43-tails-comics-genius-deadly-six/

Offline Berto

« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2021, 12:06:46 am »
Seven Seas Entertainment Opens September 2021 Reader Survey

Seven Seas Entertainment, a publisher focused on localizing manga, light novels, and fiction from Japan and other countries for English-speaking audiences, opened its September 2021 reader survey.
The survey was announced via the official Seven Seas Twitter account.
The survey can be accessed via this link : https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeAfm3eyGGJqdM-vBwj2xuOindRcmgnpltE6JT3C1FcDx1XeQ/viewform

Article : https://www.siliconera.com/seven-seas-opens-september-2021-reader-survey/

Offline Berto

« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2021, 12:08:45 am »
Sonic and Tails Face Off Against Their Evil Twins In New Miniseries

IDW just announced that Sonic the Hedgehog and Tails will fight against their evil doppelgängers in a new four-issue miniseries called Imposter Syndrome leading up to the main Sonic series' monumental 50th issue.
The publisher didn't divulge that much about these new villains except to say that Dr. Eggman's former fanboy-turned-traitor Dr. Starline most likely created them.
It also implied that Sonic's twin is a girl.

Article : https://screenrant.com/sonic-hedgehog-tails-starline-imposter-syndrome-evil-twins/

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2021, 11:59:40 am »
Y'know, if they really wanted to replace Scourge in the IDW comics, then they could of replaced him with Ashura.

But Surge... no. That's not Sonic's doppleganger. That's not even how you use the word. A doppleganger is someone who looks identical to you or someone else. It's so uncanny that there is some superstitions around doppleganers being demons, changelings or some sort of "place stealers", such as the horror film Us.

I don't mind if IDW comics wants to introduce a new "evil double" to Sonic as Scourge was, but that double should at leats be a speedster hedgehog, preferably a clone or parallel variant of him.

Offline Berto

« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2021, 08:41:42 pm »
Y'know, if they really wanted to replace Scourge in the IDW comics, then they could of replaced him with Ashura.

But Surge... no. That's not Sonic's doppleganger. That's not even how you use the word. A doppleganger is someone who looks identical to you or someone else. It's so uncanny that there is some superstitions around doppleganers being demons, changelings or some sort of "place stealers", such as the horror film Us.

I don't mind if IDW comics wants to introduce a new "evil double" to Sonic as Scourge was, but that double should at leats be a speedster hedgehog, preferably a clone or parallel variant of him.

I think that doppelgängers things was just how the article interpret them.
IDW don't call them like that.
They're just experiments done by Starline.
They're not even showing up in main comic (for now), only on mini series.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2021, 10:39:29 am »
I think that doppelgängers things was just how the article interpret them.
IDW don't call them like that.
They're just experiments done by Starline.
They're not even showing up in main comic (for now), only on mini series.
I know, it's just Scourge was one of my fave characters in pre-SGW for a number of reasons. The main reason was that he was more of a match against Sonic in speed and physique than Metal Sonic and Shadow were. Metal Sonic and Shadow are suppose to be on par with Sonic but as far as mandates go there is no one else like Sonic on Mobius. Sonic is suppose to be the fastest, Sonic is suppose to win. So while "paralell opposite universe" and "evil double" is the most exhausted trope out there, Scourge is literally the Anti-Sonic (like literally, that was his previous identity) so even if Shadow is almost as fast as Sonic, scourge is just as fast.

And given scourge is literally the Anti-Sonic means he has more of a connection with Sonic than anyone else given Scourge is "a Sonic", which means he carried not only that sense of identity but also the abilities of Sonic. The only difference that set him apart is he comes from a version of Mobius where set points in time happened the opposite way, sucha s the Great Peace instead of the Great War, a neglectful father instead of a loving one, a Robotnik who was good instead of evil, that kind of thing. Always interested to see such what if outcomes.

When the comics were rebooted I knew Scourge will not make it into the post-SGW, but I figured it be an oppotunity for Ashura to be the expy of Scourge. Both are practically the same character but Ashura is glitch. Maybe Ashura would be the Bizarro of Sonic than a perfect opposite, things like that.

But there are those who are already regarding Surge the new Scourge of IDW Sonic comics and while I see the similarities in colour schemes... well she's not a hedgehog for starters let alone a clone of Sonic. (I mean sure some tenrecs bare some resemblence to hedgehogs but tenrecs are widely diverse that not all tenrecs are prickly.)

Offline Berto

« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2021, 08:28:21 pm »
I know, it's just Scourge was one of my fave characters in pre-SGW for a number of reasons.

I used to liked him when he's still blue.
Sonic look-alike but wearing shades and jacket.
I hate when they redesign him into green.
I understand the reason, but I still hate it.

And given scourge is literally the Anti-Sonic means he has more of a connection with Sonic than anyone else given Scourge is "a Sonic", which means he carried not only that sense of identity but also the abilities of Sonic.

Yeah, he's like Injustice Superman to Earth 1 Superman.
Or Black Goku to Son Goku. While Shadow's still being Vegeta of course.

When the comics were rebooted I knew Scourge will not make it into the post-SGW.

Of course he won't, your beloved character is created by Ken Penders after all.

I figured it be an oppotunity for Ashura to be the expy of Scourge. Both are practically the same character but Ashura is glitch. Maybe Ashura would be the Bizarro of Sonic than a perfect opposite, things like that.

May be SEGA forbid him to be used.
Flynn said there are many restrictions from SEGA about characters that he can use, that's why now he prefer to make new characters.
For example : Infinite is off-limits right now. Characters that show up before Sonic Adventure is also mostly off-limits (Bean, Fang, Mighty, Ray, Focke-Wulf, Bearenger, Carrotia, Witchcart, Bark, and may be that's applied to Ashura too) other than flashback story like Sonic 30th anniversary comic.
He also kinda complain about SEGA's restriction on Shadow so much that he's the least character he wanted to put in the comic.

There are those who are already regarding Surge the new Scourge of IDW Sonic comics and while I see the similarities in colour schemes... well she's not a hedgehog for starters let alone a clone of Sonic. (I mean sure some tenrecs bare some resemblence to hedgehogs but tenrecs are widely diverse that not all tenrecs are prickly.)

I don't know too why fans compared them to Scourge and Fienna.
I saw them as Starline's OCs.
Sonic fans love to make their OC, why can't Starline?  ::)

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2021, 09:55:33 pm »
I used to liked him when he's still blue.
Sonic look-alike but wearing shades and jacket.
I hate when they redesign him into green.
I understand the reason, but I still hate it.
Penders may had turned Anti-Sonic into Scourge which eh ould take credit for this new identity for the character, but he didn't make Anti-Sonic. There for introducing a new Anti-Sonic isn't outside the box. Heck that would mean Scourge could of made it to post-SGW just the events that turned him into scourge never happened making him remain as Anti-Sonic. But Archie thought it be better off to remove him entirely.
Yeah, he's like Injustice Superman to Earth 1 Superman.
Or Black Goku to Son Goku. While Shadow's still being Vegeta of course.
Yeah. Like, sure Shadow is on par with Sonic, but same can be said for Vegeta to Goku. But we know Goku surpasses Vegeta. But alternate universe counterparts (Or "Variants" as Loki has got me to call them) are pretty much the same in strength and weaknesses. Sometimes some factors are switched around but usually equals out. It's such characters that challenge the "hero always win" mandate when the villain has everything the hero has. Though the hero usually triumphs their evil version when they either fight in a way they won't normally do or go beyond what they're capable of. It's why the "evil double" trope is usually my favourite.
Of course he won't, your beloved character is created by Ken Penders after all.
Yeah I know. Penders stole a lot of characters that day. Even a few that he did not make himself, such as Anti-Sonic.
May be SEGA forbid him to be used.
Flynn said there are many restrictions from SEGA about characters that he can use, that's why now he prefer to make new characters.
For example : Infinite is off-limits right now. Characters that show up before Sonic Adventure is also mostly off-limits (Bean, Fang, Mighty, Ray, Focke-Wulf, Bearenger, Carrotia, Witchcart, Bark, and may be that's applied to Ashura too) other than flashback story like Sonic 30th anniversary comic.
Many fans who became aware of Archie's mandates hoped that Sega will drop some mandates for IDW, though it maybe they just added more to the list. For example one established mandate was "Sonic can never loose. He can be defeated and go through hardships but never loose.", another one I don't like is "Sonic doesn't cry." I don't like these mandates.

How can a hero lear to succeed if they do not know failure? Which is why I think Sonic should fail sometime, should experiance consequences of those failures and should seek sollution and strength to overcome the failure and succeed. And I think Sonic "should have the right to cry". Sonic is always depicted as a solid pillar of support, guidance and reliability to both his friends and all those who rely on him as a hero. Can you imagine how much pressure that must be on Sonic? The kind of guy who has to hide that under his charisma and smile for the sake of those who are scared? Makes me wish Uncle Chuck made it to IDW. Someone Sonic could confide to, to let his burdens down and just been a teenager to someone family to him. But because of the "No family, unless established in the games rule", that means no Uncle Chuck.
He also kinda complain about SEGA's restriction on Shadow so much that he's the least character he wanted to put in the comic.
This is very evident throughout the comic and me and some fans have picked up on this. Brash behavior, putting his friends (Rouge and Omega) at a distance, being more of a wreckless ass that makes Sonic look like a genius in comparison. (I mean in his defence he "thought" he was immune to the metal virus due to being the ultimate lifeform. But still wreckless.)
I don't know too why fans compared them to Scourge and Fienna.
I saw them as Starline's OCs.
Sonic fans love to make their OC, why can't Starline?  ::)
People are making the comparison because they see Scourge in her. Green, blue eyes, the name rhyming with him. Plus he was such a popular character they probably want him back in some way or form.

Offline Berto

« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2021, 12:16:59 am »
It's why the "evil double" trope is usually my favourite.

Yes I love that trope too.
Black Goku, Anti Sonic,  The Crime Syndicate, Reverse Flash, Twin Peaks.
I was freaking happy too when Nega Scott showed up in Scott Pilgrim movie.
The way he showed up was cool too.
But then ....  :(

Green, blue eyes, the name rhyming with him.

Ah, now I get it. It's start making sense.

How can a hero lear to succeed if they do not know failure? Which is why I think Sonic should fail sometime, should experiance consequences of those failures and should seek sollution and strength to overcome the failure and succeed.

That's right. I remember this scene in this Archie comic when Sonic failed, and Tails snapped because of Sonic's stubbornness.
I got chilled when reading it. It was so emotional back then.

The scene where Sonic and Tails made up ... was lovely too.

another one I don't like is "Sonic doesn't cry." I don't like these mandates.

This one too.
Silly mandate indeed.
Still glad Ian Flynn could find a way with it (one time), by not showing his face.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2021, 09:13:48 am »
Yes I love that trope too.
Black Goku, Anti Sonic,  The Crime Syndicate, Reverse Flash, Twin Peaks.
I was freaking happy too when Nega Scott showed up in Scott Pilgrim movie.
The way he showed up was cool too.
But then ....  :(

I never grew up with Scott Pilgrim, only getting to know it through the movie. So when Nega Scott was introduced it gave the impression of a "This is my fight, I have to do this alone..." then I thought it was funny and wholesome they became friends.
Ah, now I get it. It's start making sense.
Yeah. I see the clear likeliness between Scourge and Surge... but I'll never accept Surge as the new Scourge. That honour should go to someone who is a biological double of Sonic.
That's right. I remember this scene in this Archie comic when Sonic failed, and Tails snapped because of Sonic's stubbornness.I got chilled when reading it. It was so emotional back then.

The scene where Sonic and Tails made up ... was lovely too.
Never grew up with these comics (We had "Sonic the Comic" growing up, but I did know of the main popular points throughout the story, such as Tails upset Fiona was dating Sonic, or "The Slap".
This one too.
Silly mandate indeed.
Still glad Ian Flynn could find a way with it (one time), by not showing his face.

Yeah because it was off-screen for all we know Sonic was just angry and clenching his fist Goku style.

Offline Berto

« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2021, 12:08:20 am »

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2021, 12:24:51 pm »
The banana taped to the wall for $120,000 is a true thing.

Offline Berto

« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2021, 09:44:12 pm »
Yes, I remember it became a meme grindfest for a week.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2021, 07:39:37 am »
Likely how stupid it was.
Tape fruit to a wall, get hundreds and thousands for it.